Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  58
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamling a Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hamling a Dog

With Austin and Young going this is a nothing to lose signing. He's definitely worth it considering he doesn't cost you anything in a draft pick sense and he is further down the track development wise than any 18 year old we would pick up in the draft. This is a good move by the club and I hope it works out well for both parties.

Post Thanks / Like

What's Hamling's kicking and disposal like?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

3. Thanks The Pie Man thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just out of curiosity over the last 10 years (maybe a little bit more) which Geelong delisted players have kicked on at other teams?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just out of curiosity over the last 10 years (maybe a little bit more) which Geelong delisted players have kicked on at other teams?
    Tim Callan and Nathan Djerrkura spring immediately to mind. Callan was a good depth player for us when we were up and about, Djerrkura had limited impact though.

Historically it would seem to be a low rate of return investment. However, given that Hamling is only 3 years into the system and a key defender, there's more of a case to be made that Geelong were premature in their decision. He was drafted in the same year as Fletcher Roberts, and would seem to have made similar progress. If nothing else, he drives the competition up for a spot in the senior side. Roberts, Talia and Hamling will be competing for the same spot.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

This question sprung to my mind straight away when I read about his signing this morning. You can ask the same question for all teams really. It wouldn't be a high hit rate that desisted players from any team turn out to be 100 game + players would it?

Post Thanks / Like

Well if its been ten years it's due.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Most recently probably Pods although he gave the cats good service.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that they cut him because they have too many Joels...

Causes problems at training or something.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

10. Likes Dry Rot, Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Most recently probably Pods although he gave the cats good service.
    I guess the point I'm making and one that Bulldog Joe made a little while back is that the Cats are pretty good at assessing players.
    They have done very well when they recruit established players from other sides and their players that have done well at other clubs like Mumford were because they couldn't really hold them in the face of big money offers more than getting it wrong.

This is no knock on Hamling but no senior games in 3 seasons and the Cats not prepared to maintain him even allowing for their older list to me means that we need to take a longer term view him. He is probably someone for 2016 more than 2015.

We are fortunate enough to probably be able to offer him that sort of time frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Fits our needs size wise and role .
    Clearly needs some more weight, but it's interesting Geelong didn't keep him.
    They've got Lonergan and Rivers in the backend of their careers, and yet didn't persevere with Joel.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Doggies, Hamlet.

Post Thanks / Like

This is no knock on Hamling but no senior games in 3 seasons and the Cats not prepared to maintain him even allowing for their older list to me means that we need to take a longer term view him. He is probably someone for 2016 more than 2015.

We are fortunate enough to probably be able to offer him that sort of time frame.
    Following on from this line of thought - Geelong are not afraid to play young kids either. Secondly with Taylor and Tom Longergan closer to the end rather than the start, he seems a long shot of making it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Following on from this line of thought - Geelong are not afraid to play young kids either. Secondly with Taylor and Tom Longergan closer to the end rather than the start, he seems a long shot of making it.
    It might also be a recognition that they have a very small premiership window and are loading up not for a hard push in the next 2 years.

I'd add Mackie and Rivers to your list of defenders showing a level of decline.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    A very mysterious link, BIDS.

But looks like a great school!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    A very mysterious link, BIDS.

But looks like a great school!
    https://www.broomeshs.wa.edu.au/inde...=70&Itemid=203
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff