Thread: Hamling a Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hamling a Dog

ah, thank you Boydogs.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I guess the point I'm making and one that Bulldog Joe made a little while back is that the Cats are pretty good at assessing players.
    They have done very well when they recruit established players from other sides and their players that have done well at other clubs like Mumford were because they couldn't really hold them in the face of big money offers more than getting it wrong.

This is no knock on Hamling but no senior games in 3 seasons and the Cats not prepared to maintain him even allowing for their older list to me means that we need to take a longer term view him. He is probably someone for 2016 more than 2015.

We are fortunate enough to probably be able to offer him that sort of time frame.
    I saw BJ's post and there is certainly some merit in it - although Geelong also seem to have quietly stockpiled a number of KPP over the past 5 years. It's true that they have an aging back line in Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers but getting Clark means that they can now play Taylor down back on a full time basis - no more need for Taylor to pinch hit as a second forward.

If we consider Hamling playing as a forward at Geelong there is obviously Hawkins and Clark and probably Vardy now in front of him but there is also Walker and Kersten too, who are bigger-bodied and ready to play senior football. Down back they have the experienced three mentioned above as well as Toohey, who they have big wraps on.

If we consider Hamling as a back (which I don't I see him more as a Cam McCarthy type roving forward although obviously MJP would obviously be able to comment on this) his number was probably up when they brought in Jack Kolodjashnij, who is a mobile back they rate. Rather than simply not being good enough I believe the de-listing of Hamling and to a lesser extent Brown was more a list management perspective to open spots than anything else. Geelong knows it needs to bring in a more diversified playing list especially after losing some of it's outsiders in Christensen and Varcoe. They have key talls in spades so Hamling was squeezed out as he is the most long-term project of all of them. I'm happy with the acquisition, if he can develop his core strength without losing mobility he may surprise as a roving CHF.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Thanks Twodogs, choconmientay thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a huge hole at CHF. Maybe Hamlet can be trained up for the position in the twos this year?

Post Thanks / Like

So does this mean if we want to use our first 5 picks we would need to delist someone else?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Just logged onto the club website to find this

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...ll-kennel-home

Looks like a sneaky Sunday morning signing
    Its not a sneaky Sunday Morning signing because DFA period started on Saturday.

Happy with this pick up as he is still only 21, so plenty of upside for a big atheltic type.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    So does this mean if we want to use our first 5 picks we would need to delist someone else?
    Yes, 2 delistings must now take place.

Post Thanks / Like

In- T. Boyd, Biggs, Hamling, Z. Cordy, Jong, Redpath (6)
    Out- Goodes, Gia, Williams, Howard, Young, Griffen, Jones, Cooney, Higgins (9)

We have picks 25. 26, 39, 45 and 46. So far we just have three spots left. Tutt, Fuller and Pearce all chances to be delisted.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding is Tutt still wants out, so there is one. If Pearce is out of contract he may be the unlucky one.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I saw BJ's post and there is certainly some merit in it - although Geelong also seem to have quietly stockpiled a number of KPP over the past 5 years. It's true that they have an aging back line in Lonergan, Taylor and Rivers but getting Clark means that they can now play Taylor down back on a full time basis - no more need for Taylor to pinch hit as a second forward.

If we consider Hamling playing as a forward at Geelong there is obviously Hawkins and Clark and probably Vardy now in front of him but there is also Walker and Kersten too, who are bigger-bodied and ready to play senior football. Down back they have the experienced three mentioned above as well as Toohey, who they have big wraps on.

If we consider Hamling as a back (which I don't I see him more as a Cam McCarthy type roving forward although obviously MJP would obviously be able to comment on this) his number was probably up when they brought in Jack Kolodjashnij, who is a mobile back they rate. Rather than simply not being good enough I believe the de-listing of Hamling and to a lesser extent Brown was more a list management perspective to open spots than anything else. Geelong knows it needs to bring in a more diversified playing list especially after losing some of it's outsiders in Christensen and Varcoe. They have key talls in spades so Hamling was squeezed out as he is the most long-term project of all of them. I'm happy with the acquisition, if he can develop his core strength without losing mobility he may surprise as a roving CHF.

Great post. I see Hamling effectively taking Liam Jone's spot on the list albeit behind a bit in his physical development.

This is another bonus of having our own reserves team. We can monitor and oversee a players development better because he is right there all the time. We can now bring kids like Hamling to the club knowing we can give him a proper development path without another clubs objectives needing to be added to the agenda.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    My understanding is Tutt still wants out, so there is one. If Pearce is out of contract he may be the unlucky one.
    Reading between the lines, Tutt being so cocksure about walking out, the Blues have told him they will use one of their late picks on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Its not a sneaky Sunday Morning signing because DFA period started on Saturday.

Happy with this pick up as he is still only 21, so plenty of upside for a big atheltic type.
    Aware of that, but it was posted this morning which is an odd time to post it. I didn't get an exact time on the signing of the contract but I'll do more research and make sure I'm more literal with my language next time.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Still no word on Tutt, is it possible we waiting and see if if someone we like is available around our last selection the draft and then will make a decision to delist someone?
    If so it really was a waste trading for Jones away and could of just delisted him.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

Great post.

On the clubs website there is a reference that we are adding to our defensive stocks by getting Hamlin to the club. Given that he also played a lot of footy this year as a defender for the Cats VFL side I've assumed we see him primarily as a defender.
    Perhaps we even see him as a player that can play forward and back.

I think Hamling is a good addition to the club and I see it is more as a long term move rather than someone who might be able to hold down a spot consistently next year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    In- T. Boyd, Biggs, Hamling, Z. Cordy, Jong, Redpath (6)
    Out- Goodes, Gia, Williams, Howard, Young, Griffen, Jones, Cooney, Higgins (9)

We have picks 25. 26, 39, 45 and 46. So far we just have three spots left. Tutt, Fuller and Pearce all chances to be delisted.
    At least two of them, we need to use these 5 picks. Tutt and Pearce would be my two. Fuller had a non eventful year, but paying him out for no return next year seems less likely.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Tutt seems a certainty to be gone, have both Fuller and Pearce been training ?
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.