Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  58
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hamling a Dog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hamling a Dog

Thought he came across when interviewed as a very level headed young man and not at all over awed with the game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I play mixed futsal on a Sunday night at Whitten Oval, and was doing a lap of the oval to warm up last night. Hamling was there training with a mate. If he's going to be training at 1930 on a Sunday night at the start of November, I'm happy we've got him on the list. Good luck Joel!
    I've liked the kid since that night in November, and have watched him very closely at a fair few VFL games this year. I have infinite respect for guys who show they have the ticker, even if the talents are somewhat short, and in Hammer's case I don't think they are even that short. Rapt he made his debut and even more rapt that he played so well. I'm definitely on the Hammer Wagon.

3. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The hammer wagon sounds like something from trainspotting.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The hammer wagon sounds like something from trainspotting.
    as opposed to the play about the noble house of Denmark?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    as opposed to the play about the noble house of Denmark?

Turning into a literary thread.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Turning into a literary thread.
    When you have Bob Murphy as Captain and Will Minson as 1st ruck, it is not surprising.

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong will end up spewing about this one. This guy will end up being better than any defensive player Geelong will play after Taylor and Lonergan retire.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

He was pretty good on Saturday night. He gets to the contest and spoils well. Very good pick up by our recruiting team.

10. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I watched the post match interview with Hamling. He strikes me as the type who wouldn't be hanging around the club much more than what is expected of him.
    Genuinely excited to see where he might best fit into our team. His athleticism is something we need.
    I found his post match to be one of the more mature, refreshingly honest, and considered responses that I've heard from a debutant, granted that he has been in the system for a couple of years.

I'm struggling to see the correlation in his response to your opinion that he strikes you as the type who wouldn't be hanging around the club much more than what is expected of him.

I actually heard a little bit of Harry Taylor in him from the way he seemed to consider his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I found his post match to be one of the more mature, refreshingly honest, and considered responses that I've heard from a debutant, granted that he has been in the system for a couple of years.

I'm struggling to see the correlation in his response to your opinion that he strikes you as the type who wouldn't be hanging around the club much more than what is expected of him.

I actually heard a little bit of Harry Taylor in him from the way he seemed to consider his game.
    Ironically Harry Taylor was his mentor at Geelong and he didn't like him because he was "too into football".
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Ironically Harry Taylor was his mentor at Geelong and he didn't like him because he was "too into football".
    Really ! That seems odd from someone (i.e. HT) who carries around his own dossier on all his opponents traits, strengths and weaknesses. Joel must be off the scale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Really ! That seems odd from someone (i.e. HT) who carries around his own dossier on all his opponents traits, strengths and weaknesses. Joel must be off the scale.
    Other way around, Harry was too into football and Hamling didn't like him. Joel is off the scale in the other direction.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

15. Thanks Doc26 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I watched the post match interview with Hamling. He strikes me as the type who wouldn't be hanging around the club much more than what is expected of him.
    Genuinely excited to see where he might best fit into our team. His athleticism is something we need.
    Interesting this. I agree his presser seemed to lack a bit of the enthusiasm you might have expected from a first gamer who came away with a great win. I did go to the Frankston game the next day though and Hammer was there to support the boys (dressed in double denim I might add). From all the training I've seen him in and the games he has played for Footscray and Western Bulldogs, he is definitely on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with how he is playing - so far so good. Could be a gem of a recruitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't see all of the game v Port, but I like that he anticipates the play - he isn't afraid to leave his man to impact a contest 20m in front of him. He's been caught out doing this a couple of times but he naturally does it quite well for a guy who hasn't played senior footy. All good defenders do this.

Skills look quite good and he's obviously a very good athlete who spoils well. Perhaps needs to keep his feet a little more, but either way, there is a lot to work with here - on face value I am surprised Geelong let him go.