Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldog Match Day For woofers

A bit of a fun thread. Ive done WO match day experiences so ill do modern day match day experiences. On match days during the footy season how do you get from home to the MCG or Etihad and back again and do you go to the pub or something before and after games. Is it a long trek there or are you very close.

Myself: I most of the time take the Belgrave/Lilydale train from Canterbury station to Southern Cross Station and get off there and walk to Etihad. If I get there early I usually mill around outside for a bit and then go in get a beer and get ready for the match. Go Dogs!

Always a good number of Dogs fan on my train line After win going back home on the train is great and when we lose not so great but its always good to talk with a few Dogs fans to and from the games win or lose.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 03-11-2014 at 08:46 PM.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Match Day For woofers

I get to docklands from Footscray station. There is quite a contingent of Dogs supporters at the station and a lot on the train too. Sometimes I wonder if I am looking at a few Woofers and I probably am. On Sundays you have to get the train into Melbourne Central and then swap platforms to get back to Spencer Street Station, which seems pretty stupid but that is the way it is. When you change platforms you often encounter groups of the opposition supporters.

Once or twice when we have had a great win I have walked all the way back home listening to the after match coverage on my headphones, savouring the victory.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

3. Likes Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I get to docklands from Footscray station. There is quite a contingent of Dogs supporters at the station and a lot on the train too. Sometimes I wonder if I am looking at a few Woofers and I probably am. On Sundays you have to get the train into Melbourne Central and then swap platforms to get back to Spencer Street Station, which seems pretty stupid but that is the way it is. When you change platforms you often encounter groups of the opposition supporters.

Once or twice when we have had a great win I have walked all the way back home listening to the after match coverage on my headphones, savouring the victory.
    Maybe Twodogs or Greystache may have been on there with you
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

5. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With two kids in tow I normally drive, though we've been known to catch the train for the occasional match, especially if we've been to the VFL first. We walk back to the car singing the song no matter the result, always hang our scarves out the windows and when we win we do a lap of EJ's statue at the Oval.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Maybe Twodogs or Greystache may have been on there with you
    It's more than likely.

Back in the day when all the games were on saturday afternoon nearly all the opposition supporters would converge on Flinders st on the way home from the various grounds. It was usually the first opportunity to find out how other teams had gone. Asking total strangers in opposition scarfs how their team went or yelling across the platforms.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes Eastdog, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Saturday afternoon games I ride my bike down the Upfield bike path to Footscray Rd and then along to Docklands. Nice way to use up some nervous energy. Tie up the bike at the front door almost. The ride home is a good loosener after sitting for a couple of hours. Always walk a circuit of the ground at top level during half time. Night games, I catch the train from Coburg. Reminder: Need to get a good tranny to hear the after match reports onboard the train. Usually a few doggie supporters on the train, definitely more now than 15 years ago, when I first moved here.

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Saturday afternoon games I ride my bike down the Upfield bike path to Footscray Rd and then along to Docklands. Nice way to use up some nervous energy. Tie up the bike at the front door almost. The ride home is a good loosener after sitting for a couple of hours. Always walk a circuit of the ground at top level during half time. Night games, I catch the train from Coburg. Reminder: Need to get a good tranny to hear the after match reports onboard the train. Usually a few doggie supporters on the train, definitely more now than 15 years ago, when I first moved here.
    Good to hear Torpedo that we have a good few out in the north.

Post Thanks / Like

I train in on the Sandringham line from Hampton station with my dad and children. Not many doggies supporters on the line but always seem to see a few familiar faces. Was a real tough train ride home when we lost to the aints in the prelims, especially 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4by2 View Post
    I train in on the Sandringham line from Hampton station with my dad and children. Not many doggies supporters on the line but always seem to see a few familiar faces. Was a real tough train ride home when we lost to the aints in the prelims, especially 2009
    Now that is what I call "character building"
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must be great though when we beat them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Must be great though when we beat them.
    To tell you the truth, we seem to be out numbered on the Sandringham line no matter what Melbourne team we are playing. As you say though, it does make the train ride home all the more enjoyable after a win!

Post Thanks / Like

We drive in from Rosebud and park under the stadium. We take our own tucker so our luxury is the carpark not food. I always listen to the radio on the way home but never if we lose....except the music stations of course. Once we parked at Frankston and caught the train there and back but it took so long. It was actually a match against West Coast and on the way home the West Coast supporters would have out numbered ours which seemed strange to me at the time. Thank God now for the Peninsula Link I used to hate all those bloody roundabouts.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To tell you the truth, we seem to be out numbered on the Sandringham line no matter what Melbourne team we are playing. As you say though, it does make the train ride home all the more enjoyable after a win!
    Yep for sure. I'm on the Belgrave/Lilydale and I'm always impressed to see a good amount of red white and blue. This will only increase once we have sustained success.

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Post Thanks / Like

Dad now lives in Mulwala on the Vic/Nsw border,brother is 5 years younger then me and lives in Taylors Lakes so I catch the train from Glen Waverley and meet my brother with his two young boys @ the ground.
    My Dad comes down when he can,will be more so this year hopefully!?