Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

I went past the ground this morning and there was quite a crowd there.

Did anyone go down to training today?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The drills involve a few games. One is a handball type game, one side handballing and the other defending. If the ball hits the ground it's a turnover and the defending side take the ball. There is a target at each end off a pitch that the teams are aiming to hit.
    They were conducting this drill at the open training session this morning Twodogs. Fortunately they set up close to the boundary line so the spectators got a good view of the performance of the players. In the drill it was quite noticeable the body size of McLean and Dale, but they weren't standing back either.

While at the training session, got to see big Tom line up for goal as part of a separate drill - nice action considering the wind being a bit what you would expect at WO. Really liked the peg on Stringer as well in one particular drill - looking forward to watching him play in the season proper.

Running the boundary was Roarke (have I spelt that right?) Smith - has a great athletes physique so looking forward to catching him in some drills at a future open training session.

It was surprising how hard it was to identify some players without numbers on their backs and found I tended to focus on players with things like lime green boots (Strings), sunscreen plastered across his nose (Libba), or Caleb/big Tom for their obvious height characteristics.

Going back to Libba - really liked how he want up to a number of the younger players at the end of the formal training session and just acknowledged their efforts.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

3. Thanks Ghost Dog, Daughter of the West thanked for this post
    Likes F'scary, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Going back to Libba - really liked how he want up to a number of the younger players at the end of the formal training session and just acknowledged their efforts.
    Great to read, thanks.

I imagine he'd be a pretty good example on the track, a popular team mate and someone a lot of the younger players wish to emulate - given how quickly he's established himself as a top line player.

Post Thanks / Like

Some pics from the training

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111272...9337/lightbox/

Some of the guys were quite physical in their tackling. JJ was hurt in a tackle but ran it off.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant photos Choco.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

7. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went along yesterday, some observations.

The skills looked better in the full ground drills than they had previously. There was an obvious attempt to fatigue the players before they got the ball. They would do a full run down the ground ending in a shot on goal, then that group would do some interval runs around the boundary line and then go again. Some of the better skilled players stood out like Hrovat.

The usual handball mini game was far more physical than normal. Players were tackling and there were fend offs, shepherding, and attempts to break tackles with no holding the ball.

Daniel was a standout in this drill, he's very composed, like to have the ball in a crowd, and is not shy about being physical.

Jong had every coach and player screaming at him every time he got the ball to take players on. When he puts on the jets no one can go with him.

Bonti was the best player because he's just better than the rest. He looks like a veteran helping the kids. He also looks incredible at the moment.

Boyd Jr trained fully for the first time that I've seen. He was moving surprisingly well and holding his own in the endurance running which was a pleasant surprise. He runs beautifully for a big man, and is well ahead of the perennial back marker type players like a Jones or a Grant. Looks ready to play senior footy.

Tom Campbell looks to have lost a bit of weight.

I had my bulldog with me so couldn't watch as closely as I normally might.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Stache.

Is Bontempelli a chance to play significant minutes in the centre square this coming season?

Also, great to read about Boyd. The expectations will, understandably, be quite significant but if he can run, he's going to be well positioned to play a lot of football, and make an impact.

Post Thanks / Like

One player I haven't heard mentioned much thus far, is Jack Macrae. How is he tracking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I went along yesterday, some observations.

Boyd Jr trained fully for the first time that I've seen. He was moving surprisingly well and holding his own in the endurance running which was a pleasant surprise. He runs beautifully for a big man, and is well ahead of the perennial back marker type players like a Jones or a Grant. Looks ready to play senior footy.

That is good news indeed, because there is no way that he can be provided with "development" games in the VFL given all the facts about him, the way he has come to the club and our desperate need for a quality KPF.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    One player I haven't heard mentioned much thus far, is Jack Macrae. How is he tracking?
    I didn't notice him much yesterday, but he did train. In the sessions I've seen previously he'd stood out for his ability to continually get his hands on the footy.

13. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any news on Fuller?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Any news on Fuller?
    He trained. He did a brutal extra session after all the other players finished. The focus was on second and third efforts- Wrestle a coach on the ground, tackle a bag, get up and pick up a ball and try to break a tackle, back onto the ground and repeat. He was getting smashed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He trained. He did a brutal extra session after all the other players finished. The focus was on second and third efforts- Wrestle a coach on the ground, tackle a bag, get up and pick up a ball and try to break a tackle, back onto the ground and repeat. He was getting smashed.

He did one of those on the ground earlier in the week after everyone else had finished too. From memory it was Rohan Smith who took him through it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

Interesting drill he did. Lot of competition for him now as a small defender, with Biggs, Darley, maybe Webb etc
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Went and had a look yesterday and out of our draftees can only see Daniel And Webb getting a game.
    Webb moves well and is a beautiful kick.Daniel is going to be a star.
    Tom Boyd looks huge cant wait to see him play.
    Hamling is very thin not sure about him as a defender maybe a third tall forward.