Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Were there still many first year players absent from training today F'scary.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    The rules modifications were interesting. If a behind was scored, there was no kick out. Instead there was a ball up at HFF well outside the 50m arc so that team that had scored could try and attack the goals again.
    Sounds like they are working on stoppages after an opposition kick in also maybe. Glad to hear there appears to be an emphasis on skills and ball movement. Very encouraging.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Were there still many first year players absent from training today F'scary.
    I was down there for a bit. All the first years seemed to be there, although Zaine didn't take part in the match simulation stuff. He ran laps with Tom Campbell, Morris and one or two others. They all took part in earlier drills I believe. I'll try and add some more later but honestly spent half my time trying to pick up who was who.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

4. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I was down there for a bit. All the first years seemed to be there, although Zaine didn't take part in the match simulation stuff. He ran laps with Tom Campbell, Morris and one or two others. They all took part in earlier drills I believe. I'll try and add some more later but honestly spent half my time trying to pick up who was who.
    don't blame you with all the new faces, it is going to take some getting use to.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    He ran laps with Tom Campbell, Morris and one or two others
    Clay Smith was probably one. Not sure why Cordy, Morris & Campbell aren't participating
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Clay Smith was probably one. Not sure why Cordy, Morris & Campbell aren't participating
    Saw Clay standing by the boundary at one point but didn't see him doing much. I wasn't near the traing centre bit though so he could have been training in there
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific and detailed report FS. Thanks for posting. How many did Boydy get?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer sizzles in match-simulation training session

JAKE Stringer looks set to build on his breakout 2014 season after an eye-catching performance in the Western Bulldogs' match simulation session at Whitten Oval on Thursday.

The match practice hit-out took place towards the end of a solid two-and-a-half-hour session, and Stringer was prominent from the start.

The 20-year-old, who booted 28 goals from 18 games last year, used his pace and strength to run around and through would-be tacklers in the midfield, before moving forward to be just as dangerous.

"He is flying at the moment Jakey," midfielder Nathan Hrovat said.

"He's a very rare talent because he's quick, evasive and strong and he's going to be a handful down forward next to Tom (Boyd).

"Hopefully he hasn't shown too many tricks and he saves them for games, but he's going alright at the moment."

Stewart Crameri was another to impress in a similar role to Stringer, using his elite endurance to roam up and down the ground to find plenty of the footy.

Big money recruit Tom Boyd had an intriguing battle with Jordan Roughead and Michael Talia, while fellow tall forward Jack Redpath took several strong marks and appears to have improved his mobility.

Former Swan Shane Biggs looks like he'll be a great acquisition across half-back, with his run and ball use a standout in the windy conditions.

Pint-sized Caleb Daniel looked the most comfortable of the draftees, getting involved in several passages of play and winning plenty of plaudits from the coaching staff.

Hrovat, Dale Morris and Tom Campbell were part of a group who didn't take part due to management of their training loads.

10. Thanks Eastdog, bornadog, boydogs, KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These reports start to get me excited about 2015.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'm not getting too carried away but agree that the reports from woofers who go to the training sessions have had a very positive tone to it. For any supporters who haven't signed up as yet, I reckon its a great time as we are in for some exciting times.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

13. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is everyone at every club is flying at this time of year and every club has a few young, talented sizzlers. Eastie must be getting close to 20k in members?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Thing is everyone at every club is flying at this time of year and every club has a few young, talented sizzlers. Eastie must be getting close to 20k in members?
    Last time I checked I think it was around 19,871. It's stagnated somewhat but hopefully picks up again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    yeah, but...................Stringer, Boyd, Carmeri, Libba, and the list goes on.

and BONTI
    Last edited by bornadog; 15-01-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Training focus switches as Bulldogs turn up the heat

Match simulation and game style are the focus for the Western Bulldogs on the training track says assistant coach Steven King, as the group move into an intensive training block with the NAB Challenge less than seven weeks away.

Following a two-week break over Christmas, the Bulldogs have been back in training for a fortnight and King says the coaching group have been pleased with the players’ progress.

“Now match play is obviously a lot more significant in training, we’re doing 20 minute halves now and from that… breaking down more game style specifics of stoppage structures, kick ins and zones.”

King says the coaching group is ultimately looking for players to step up and adhere to the new standards and structures that have been put in place under the guidance of new Senior Coach Luke Beveridge.

“Just to continue what Luke (Beveridge) wants to try and bring across… Just pretty much taking the game on and building on the base of fitness that we had put in place prior to Christmas.

“(We’re looking for) guys that are willing to have a crack regardless of the consequence, but probably just not playing it safe by being aggressive and assertive in everything they do.”

Particularly impressive has been the pre-season efforts of midfielder Lin Jong, who King says is making the most of his opportunity following an impressive VFL finals series, alongside Brett Goodes and Nathan Hrovat, who King also identified as having notable influence on the track over the summer.

King also lauded the performances of the Club’s off-season recruits, Shane Biggs, Joel Hamling and Tom Boyd.

“Biggsy’s ready to go, he’s a ready-made player coming from a good program.

“Joel Hamling’s been really good down back and Boydy after a slow start is getting his fitness base back in.

“He’s just been really important in down the line contests that we’ve had so far, so (we are) starting to see the big fella assert his influence on training and in games.”

The Bulldogs will host Richmond at Victoria University Whitten Oval for their opening NAB Challenge match on Saturday 28 February.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, but...................Stringer, Boyd, Carmeri, Libba, and the list goes on.
    It does go on doesn't it.