Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The good thing re: Redpath (or whoever else plays as a KPF) is that they don't have to be a superstar. Whilst he may not be there yet, we have a potential one in Boyd already there, who at the very least commands the best key defender. Difficult to say whether big Jack will make it or not, but there's room for an aggressive 'OK' second key forward who plays his role. There have been a few good ones for other great teams in the past.

The big winners are clearly Crameri and Stringer, but if those two plus Boyd and Redpath/Campbell can contribute we suddenly have some options to cause opposition headaches.
    Mark McClure @ CHF in some great Carlton teams comes to mind. Did an awful lot of bullocking, running and aggressive with it. Provided a target and took a determined CHB to hold him down. Wouldn't rate him as an out and out champion. But the Carlton teams he played in would never have been as successful without his competitiveness and ability to give something for the smaller players to go with. Can't remember the FFs at that time but surely gave them a big chop out too.
    If Redpath can provide something similar for the forward line I would like to see how he goes. From all reports he seems to have finally overcome the effects of his double reco and is regaining some agility and confidence.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Mark McClure @ CHF in some great Carlton teams comes to mind. Did an awful lot of bullocking, running and aggressive with it. Provided a target and took a determined CHB to hold him down. Wouldn't rate him as an out and out champion. But the Carlton teams he played in would never have been as successful without his competitiveness and ability to give something for the smaller players to go with. Can't remember the FFs at that time but surely gave them a big chop out too.
    If Redpath can provide something similar for the forward line I would like to see how he goes. From all reports he seems to have finally overcome the effects of his double reco and is regaining some agility and confidence.
    Well, Redpath was consistently played at CHF in the two hours I spent at two training sessions last week. He was clearly applying the Barry Hall approach to his game and it seemed to come naturally to him. The "intriguing battles" between him and Talia and Roughead that the article on the club's website mentioned I think referred in part to Redpath's aggressive approach to contests. The other thing that caught my eye about him was that he made good position for marking contests - he certainly did not repeatedly lead under the ball or hang way out to the back and the side of the drop zone waiting for a chance to long jump for a speccie.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    The other thing that caught my eye about him was that he made good position for marking contests - he certainly did not repeatedly lead under the ball or hang way out to the back and the side of the drop zone waiting for a chance to long jump for a speccie.
    That sounds promising, too often last year he waited for the long kick on his head to try and bring the ball to ground instead of trying to get separation on his opponent and take a mark
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    250 odd games and well over 300 goals as well as 5 top 5 B&F finishes in strong team. If Redpath gets anywhere near McClure he'll have done well. The difference between McClure and Redpath is McClure was very talented. You don't eck out 250 games. With regard to Redpath I'm thinking more Daniel Merrett than McClure. If Redpath could play a Leigh Brown role and play half as many games he would be a huge success.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    That sounds promising, too often last year he waited for the long kick on his head to try and bring the ball to ground instead of trying to get separation on his opponent and take a mark
    It has to sound promising, boydogs - I was comparing him to the Jones style of playing CHF.

Post Thanks / Like

Focussing on a different recruit.....I was talking to one of Melbourne's part time recruiting scouts last Friday and he asked how Rourke Smith was going. I mentioned I had noticed he looked like he had an athletic build when I was at WO one morning and he was running laps (compared to McLean with little to no athletic build).

He mentioned having a high opinion of Smith remarking on how much he improved over his final TAC Cup year with the Cannons. Maybe not the same degree of improvement as Bontimpelli showed in his final year, but still a recommendation that will make it interesting keeping an eye on Smith's rookie year.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Smads. It certainly appears to be a trait that the recruiting team really rate. McCrae and McLean(?) also had great improvement in their final years.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Thanks Smads. It certainly appears to be a trait that the recruiting team really rate. McCrae and McLean(?) also had great improvement in their final years.
    Yep, as did Ward and very much Bonti.

We clearly weight this higher than many other clubs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    250 odd games and well over 300 goals as well as 5 top 5 B&F finishes in strong team. If Redpath gets anywhere near McClure he'll have done well. The difference between McClure and Redpath is McClure was very talented. You don't eck out 250 games. With regard to Redpath I'm thinking more Daniel Merrett than McClure. If Redpath could play a Leigh Brown role and play half as many games he would be a huge success.
    On the Leigh Brown comparison, Redpath strikes me as a player that could mature and have two or three years of productive football in him but then fade out.

When his name is mentioned I can't think beyond this as being his goal, but if it happens when we're in the hunt for some serious finals footy then his promotion will be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    On the Leigh Brown comparison, Redpath strikes me as a player that could mature and have two or three years of productive football in him but then fade out.

When his name is mentioned I can't think beyond this as being his goal, but if it happens when we're in the hunt for some serious finals footy then his promotion will be worth it.
    I feel the same way about Ayce; it all comes down to timing. As you say, if we're challenging and some of our bigger blokes begin to hit their straps, that could be the difference for us.

Post Thanks / Like

If redpath cant cover enough ground, he could at least camp 30m in front of boyd and lead his man out of the hole. He is a good long kick for goal, his man couldnt afford to drop off him.

WE put some super hard running guys on either side of him like Crameri and Hunter?

Post Thanks / Like

From the article by Ben Guthrie, January 22, 2015 2:01 PM on the club's website:

A more free-flowing style to the Bulldogs' play was immediately noticeable throughout the session.

Players spread forward in numbers - which led to a bunch of fast-break opportunities – and there was very little of the stagnant movement that was evident under former coach Brendan McCartney.

Bit of a pot shot?

Post Thanks / Like

You can't have stagnant movement either.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic, Raw Toast thanked for this post
    Likes lemmon, F'scary, hujsh, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    From the article by Ben Guthrie, January 22, 2015 2:01 PM on the club's website:

A more free-flowing style to the Bulldogs' play was immediately noticeable throughout the session.

Players spread forward in numbers - which led to a bunch of fast-break opportunities – and there was very little of the stagnant movement that was evident under former coach Brendan McCartney.

Bit of a pot shot?
    They would have taken that article from the AFL website.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    They would have taken that article from the AFL website.
    Maybe some kind of automated feed or update?