Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Does anyone know if there's training on tomorrow?

Post Thanks / Like

It was fairly early last Saturday. I got there 10ish and the place was deserted.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday there was more match simulation.

Hunter lights up training track

Lachie Hunter appears ready to take his game to a new level after a standout performance in the Western Bulldogs' match simulation session at the Whitten Oval on Thursday.

The young forward's movement and creativity added a point of difference to the Bulldogs' attack, as the club continues to refine its game plan under new coach Luke Beveridge.

Hunter – the son of former Footscray defender Mark – found plenty of space in his small forward role and managed to get on the end of a number of forward forays.

The 20-year-old, who has played 23 senior games for the Dogs, stamped himself as a potential breakout candidate leading into the 2015 season.

Fellow forward Jake Stringer also continued his sizzling pre-season form, avoiding would-be tacklers with ease and he also marked the ball cleanly in pack situations.

Skipper Bob Murphy was typically assured in a mop up role across half-back, while midfielder Mitch Wallis won plenty of the footy from the centre.

The practice match, which consisted of three 15-minute periods, formed part of a tough three-hour long session in searing heat for the Bulldogs.

A more free-flowing style to the Bulldogs' play was immediately noticeable throughout the session.

Players spread forward in numbers - which led to a bunch of fast-break opportunities – and there was very little of the stagnant movement that was evident under former coach Brendan McCartney.

Stocky draftee Caleb Daniel did some good things during the session – notably pulling the trigger to spot targets in the middle of the ground on a few occasions.

Ex-Geelong defender Joel Hamling, who the Dogs picked up as a delisted free agent, also looked sturdy in defence, while Luke Dahlhaus split the big sticks on a couple of occasions.

Beveridge also spent plenty of time instructing his players during each break in play and providing feedback at the end of the session.

Tall forward Tom Campbell did not participate in the session, instead running laps as he continues his recovery from shoulder surgery.

The Bulldogs open their NAB Challenge campaign against Richmond at the Whitten Oval on February 28.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No open training sessions next week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They on camp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You can't have stagnant movement either.
    Well done two . Deserves more than the like button
    Yes we were " stagnant" under McCartney to often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Well done two . Deserves more than the like button
    Yes we were " stagnant" under McCartney to often
    true. We have to face up to facts.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Had another look at training this morning. Almost similar to last Saturday.

Not training with the main group were Hrovat, M.Boyd, Webb, and Prismall who were doing some handball and short kicking drills with Goodes watching. Hrovat was the character of group. Roberts didn't appear to fully participate with the main group but was out there for some of the drills.

The first drill for the main group that I saw was one that covered at 3 quarters of the ground where the players would kick out from full back to the flanks working the ball towards CHF before looping back around the other wing bringing the ball back into the forward line.
    Hamling's athleticism really stood out marking the ball at full tilt a couple of times.

Drills often consisted of one team (in green) defending while the other team was full on attack. The assistant coaches often participated in some of the drills and tended to look for each when they had the ball. King was quite chuffed when Gia hit Corey with a 40mtr pass and let a few of the boys know it.

The last drill was goal kicking and there was players rotating into 4 groups spread across the forward 50. It probably wasn't as intense as last week but a productive session.

Players that stood out were Hamling, Dahlhaus, Stringer, Biggs, Jong and Kelly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen training a few times now and I think we are moving forward with this young list. The talk is upbeat and the sessions have a real purpose about them. I also like the players we have added from other clubs with limited senior playing experience in Biggs, Hamling and Kelly plus our own Redpath who has spent 3 years with us and has just made it to the senior list. If a couple of them take a step forward this year it will add something extra to the side.

I'd under no illusions that we are in for a tough season but I do believe it could be a good development year for us.

10. Likes N/A, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GVGjr.

Really liking the recent reports on Hamling. It seems like we'll have some significant changes in our back 6, with him, Biggs and Talia all looking like reasonable chances of appearing early in the season.

Glad to hear Kelly looked sharp, we just might have found a couple of players who can play some senior footy in he and Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reports. Great to hear some different names being praised.

Seems Jong has had a massive pre-season. I think he's been mentioned glowingly in almost every report I've read.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Seems Jong has had a massive pre-season. I think he's been mentioned glowingly in almost every report I've read.
    I've tended to focus on a few players rather than trying to cover everyone but to Jong's credit he just seems to be working hard on his game and I'm hoping that transitions to opportunities for him during the season. In a team that really isn't noted for leg speed I hope he can earn a spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've tended to focus on a few players rather than trying to cover everyone but to Jong's credit he just seems to be working hard on his game and I'm hoping that transitions to opportunities for him during the season. In a team that really isn't noted for leg speed I hope he can earn a spot.
    If he doesn't at least we know he tried.

I think he will. He's big and quick and learns well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If he doesn't at least we know he tried.

I think he will. He's big and quick and learns well.
    He is probably one of a number of players that will benefit from the pre-season approach that has the players taking the game on.
    Could be a great learning curve for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He is probably one of a number of players that will benefit from the pre-season approach that has the players taking the game on.
    Could be a great learning curve for him.

Yep I agree. The players seem to be relishing the more competitive aspect of the drills but some players are really learning and improving their own game. I've seen.lusee Biggs and Jong called aside and spoken to quite a lot. Having the gameplan explained and where he fits.