Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    They on camp?
    Yep, Sunshine Coast.

Spewing as I have the week off and was looking forward to heading down to see how they look.

Post Thanks / Like

GvG and others who are regular watchers, I'm interested in your thoughts on the conditioning aspect of the players.

From the photos I've seen just about all of them look noticeably leaner and have less muscle definition.
    In previous years you would see them around this time looking more developed, as would be the norm but it's certainly not what I see this year.

For example, all the talls seem to have lost bulk, Minson, Campbell, Cordy, Roberts, Boyd etc, and most of the mids like Jong are a lot leaner.

My question is: Do you think this is a change due to the new game plan/requirements for the future, ie players being able to cover more ground as a priority over physical size, or do you think the focus has just been on running earlier with the intention to do more work on bulking up closer to the season?

We are not a big side as it is, and it's got me worried that we will get pushed off the ball easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Strength and conditioning isn't my thing but I have noticed that the players seem to have spent more time on the bikes this preseason than last season
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Without knowing whether they have slimmed down or not, it would make sense if we are moving away from having 22 contested ball players
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It would also make sense if each player has to cover more ground each game in an era of full ground presses and interchange rotation caps.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The Western Bulldogs depart Melbourne on Wednesday, headed to the Sunshine Coast for a nine-day pre-season training camp.

The full playing group and support staff will attend the camp, which includes a variety of activities designed to consolidate the work already completed over summer.

Alongside traditional skills and match-based training sessions, the group will engage in weights, and beach based physical conditioning sessions that Senior Coach Luke Beveridge says it is an important part of the group’s NAB Challenge preparations.

“It’ll be a consolidating type period where we look at our education, how we’ve changed (and) we make sure we refresh.

“In a short period of time we’ve been able to achieve a lot, but absorbing that information, making sure that it stays in their minds and they’re able to carry it out and practice it when they play is crucial.”

The proximity to Melbourne and the ability for players to train in the heat were both contributing factors for the camp but Beveridge says it will also be an important team-building exercise.

“The boys are all looking forward to it, we’ll come back from that training for another three weeks and pretty much into the NAB (Challenge) so it’s a really important camp for us.

Fans will also get the chance to interact with the playing group at an open training session on Sunday 1 February at Maroochydore Multi Sports Complex, Fishermans Rd, Maroochydore.

The session will begin at 9:30am and players will be available following the training for autographs and photos.
    Link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Far out! No footy training for a week and a half.

I might have to go and watch a different club train.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

Wash your mouth out with soap...
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Wash your mouth out with soap...

As a spy! I would disguise myself with sunglasses and a false beard and take a newspaper with eyeholes cut out.

10. Thanks Smads57 thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a spy! I would disguise myself with sunglasses and a false beard and take a newspaper with eyeholes cut out.
    don't forget the shoe phone
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Arden St's not far. Go and enjoy a vintage Higgo pre-season.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

13. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Arden St's not far. Go and enjoy a vintage Higgo pre-season.

It's a shame Essendon moved out to Whoop Whoop. Windy Hill was nice and close as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    GvG and others who are regular watchers, I'm interested in your thoughts on the conditioning aspect of the players.

From the photos I've seen just about all of them look noticeably leaner and have less muscle definition.
    In previous years you would see them around this time looking more developed, as would be the norm but it's certainly not what I see this year.

For example, all the talls seem to have lost bulk, Minson, Campbell, Cordy, Roberts, Boyd etc, and most of the mids like Jong are a lot leaner.

My question is: Do you think this is a change due to the new game plan/requirements for the future, ie players being able to cover more ground as a priority over physical size, or do you think the focus has just been on running earlier with the intention to do more work on bulking up closer to the season?

We are not a big side as it is, and it's got me worried that we will get pushed off the ball easily.
    Good questions and I was really having a look at this on Saturday.

I think the leaner look across the list can primarily be attributed to having the 2nd youngest list in the AFL. Many players will need another season or two to bulk up.
    Across the competition I think most younger clubs have probably adopted a similar approach as running and endurance become more of a focus.

Regarding the bigger guys, Minson is probably expecting to ruck 90% of the time and trimming down is probably a good move. Campbell's mobility needs to be the area he improves the most so once again losing a few kg and some muscle should help. Cordy is probably more around genetics and Roberts is probably because of his shoulder injury. His mobility isn't great either.

For your main question I have highlighted I suspect that given all the players we drafted this year have a great endurance base I think running is a major focus for the club this season. Taking the game on as the new coach appears to be pushing requires a lot more running.

We might get pushed off the ball a bit this season but in another 12 months it will be a different story. Having seen the physical development of guys like Wallis and Liberatore I think many on the list will improve in a similar manner.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think you should go and spy on our first NAB Challenge opponent, the Tigers.

I'll get spying hints from my cat.

You met my previous Pies supporting cat - but my current cat is a Tigers fan.

Black with a yellow collar, he's old and bitter, missing a lot of his teeth and violent. A friend and Bombers fan described his eyes as "old soul evil". However, he is very smart, which distinguishes him from all other Tigers fans.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

17. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I think you should go and spy on our first NAB Challenge opponent, the Tigers.

I'll get spying hints from my cat.

You met my previous Pies supporting cat - but my current cat is a Tigers fan.

Black with a yellow collar, he's old and bitter, missing a lot of his teeth and violent. A friend and Bombers fan described his eyes as "old soul evil". However, he is very smart, which distinguishes him from all other Tigers fans.

I thought the cat you introduced me to was a Geelong supporter. On account of the whole cat thing.