Thanks Thanks:  211
Likes Likes:  133
Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Pre-Season

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 Pre-Season

Jarrad Grant make any impression? Great report.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I went down for a look this morning. It wasn't an intense session at all - no running drills and no match practice - so from that perspective there wasn't a lot to take out of it.

That's about it. Feel free to shoot any questions, but as I said, it wasn't a session that I could take a lot out of given there was no fitness/running component or mach simulation.
    Fantastic write-up mate, thanks heaps. I'd like to see your write-up of a training session where you did think you got lots out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

- Those who didn't train at all included Morris, Prudden, Biggs, Boyd, Z Cordy
    Which Boyd?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Jarrad Grant make any impression? Great report.
    He's looking OK - did some nice things such as quick handballs or using his pace to cut off a lead well (even though that drill is premeditated, but you still need to get there which he did). As always with Grant, the real test is on game day.

He does look happy though, good chemistry with Gia.

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Fantastic write-up mate, thanks heaps. I'd like to see your write-up of a training session where you did think you got lots out of it.
    No problem. Haha you might have to only wait a week or so. I'll try and get down next week when (hopefully) there's a bit more substance.

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Which Boyd?
    Tom.
    W00F!

5. Thanks boydogs thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went down for a look this morning. It wasn't an intense session at all - no running drills and no match practice - so from that perspective there wasn't a lot to take out of it. I'll head down next week again, but here's what I took away from it:

- Training is very structured with individualized groups (usually 3) rotating. The groups are taught by the assistant coaches, with Bev looking on. A group of players broke away after about an hour and headed inside, whilst Bev took on a more engaging role. He called them in after a couple of drills to explain before sending them back out.

- Today had a VERY strong emphasis on disposal by foot, leading and cutting off leads to spoil/mark the ball. A number of different passing drills included short stationary kicks, short kicks to targets on the move to space, kicks to leads and longer variations of these drills (30m and 40-50m). It was interesting; I haven't really seen us focus on this to such a degree in the past. A lot of targets were missed in the 20m short kicks to a target on the move - it really does highlight the fact that our skills are poor and need to drastically improve. Having said that, the skills did improve as they went on, but we were better over a longer distance - which is a bit strange.
    Cheers TBB. IMO, kicking over distance, and judging same, is much more natural, especially with kicking. The body doesn't tense up and the mind doesn't need to question itself as much as short distances in our game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Cheers TBB. IMO, kicking over distance, and judging same, is much more natural, especially with kicking. The body doesn't tense up and the mind doesn't need to question itself as much as short distances in our game.
    Not only that, but the receiver has more time and distance to react to the kick and position themselves accordingly. Chances are they're a bit flat footed for the pass.

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interested in your comment on Jong's disposal TBB. When you say it looks to have improved are you talking about hitting targets or penetration as it's the latter I'm keen to see improve. If he can make decent strides in this area then it really only leaves his game sense and decision making to step up. He's an exciting package and I have him in our starting lineup round one.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the biggest improvement Jong has made this preseason has been in building his tank. This was a real weakness previously and he should reap the benefits from improving it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

11. Likes Twodogs, Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I've heard the biggest improvement Jong has made this preseason has been in building his tank. This was a real weakness previously and he should reap the benefits from improving it.
    It's encouraging to hear the positive reports around Jong, but to be honest I was expecting it at this stage; his physical stature and athleticism are really tailored to pre-season performance, endurance improvements notwithstanding.

The big test will be when the match simulation is ramped up, and we can see if he has made any improvements in his spatial awareness. Even in his dominance at VFL level, short handpassing and what would be poor decisions were masked by raw athletic ability. It's the big question I have over him, and until this improves I have his ceiling mirroring Koby Stevens.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Jong was the star of the last preseason too. He made huge strides last year and it looks like he has worked on and improved a couple of key areas of his game.

He was huge in the GF win last year. If he can clear the ball from stoppages and centre bounces the way he didin that game on a consistent basis then he's worth his weight in cockie poop.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Jong was the star of the last preseason too. He made huge strides last year and it looks like he has worked on and improved a couple of key areas of his game.

He was huge in the GF win last year. If he can clear the ball from stoppages and centre bounces the way he didin that game on a consistent basis then he's worth his weight in cockie poop.
    He was brilliant in the prelim final too, the best game I've ever seen him play.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

He was brilliant in the prelim final too, the best game I've ever seen him play.
    I might just have to have another look. Then I can watch the GF again and make my mind up which was his best game.

Ten goal last quarter.

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, he was immense when we were knee deep in you know what v Williamstown in the QF too.

I have been a critic of his, but I'm excited about his potential.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, he was immense when we were knee deep in you know what v Williamstown in the QF too.

I have been a critic of his, but I'm excited about his potential.
    Lesson learnt, the 20 game rule.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Lesson learnt, the 20 game rule.

And the 10, 000 kick rule.