Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  54
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Labor promise Western Bulldogs will play two games in Ballarat every season

You would like to think they would organise dedicated bus services from the station.

2. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would prefer we leave the jumper alone. At most, they can add a patch on the chest and sublimate a Ballarat logo on the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    C'Mon. We're Bulldog fans, surely you spent time at WO in traditional football weather. Toughen up.

I do hope the same........
    I went there for a VFL a couple of years ago. I've never been that cold. To make matters worse you couldn't get a hot pie after quarter time
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd much rather see the dogs playas Ballarat rather than Cairns or Canberra. I don't think it is financially responsible though to spend $30m+ on a stadium that's used to its capacity three times a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I went there for a VFL a couple of years ago. I've never been that cold. To make matters worse you couldn't get a hot pie after quarter time
    The players will have to train in meat freezers rocky style instead of the humidity chambers at Vic Uni before the Darwin /Cairns games.

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Very rare to get a nice day in Ballarat during the footy season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Very rare to get a nice day in Ballarat during the footy season.
    The talk is for Adelaide or Port to be the opponents in Ballarat. With the freeze factor, I'd be inclined to go with Gold Coast or GWS. 20,000 would cover the turnout (Adelaide games pull more than 20k) and there's a chance to get a competitive advantage on the northern staters.

I'm looking forward to rugging up and getting to the 'rat! It could be a really atmospheric little ground. A nice variation on Etihad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would like to know what dollars involved.
    $31m. To rebuild a stadium for 3 matches per year.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    $31m. To rebuild a stadium for 3 matches per year.
    I meant what is in it for us.

I doubt that is all will happen at the ground. Surely it will be a multi purpose stadium.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard Gerard Fitzgerald say on SEN that it's going to be a multipurpose stadium.
    Thought it was a much needed injection in the area, and great for Ballarat .
    FWIW Gerard ran for pre-selection for the liberal party a while ago, so he isn't politically biased .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    You would like to think they would organise dedicated bus services from the station.
    Agreed. This would certainty happen. With the Bus trip only being 5 minutes from the station to the ground there wouldn't be too much waiting.

Parking should be fine, there's lots of room with the showgrounds next door.

Been in Ballarat my whole life to date, as other posters have said there is actually quite a strong Bulldogs contingent here.

Weather conditions will be tricky. But you only have to look at how hard North Ballarat are to beat in the VFL at that ground. There's no reason why we can't make the ground a REAL home ground advantage.

Must admit the current set up isn't great for watching Footy. But obviously a grandstand will improve this.

All I can say is go Labor!

14. Likes boydogs, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus all of North Ballarat's home games. Plus any community facilities that would no doubt go into the complex.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly this expansion of Eureka was flagged by labor long before the Doggies association was announced. It will be used for all sorts of sporting events and concerts etc. Basically what is happening is Labor is promising to do for us in Ballarat exactly what a lot of us have been screaming for at Whitten Oval. It is a brilliant coup for our club.

Would be interesting to hear the AFL take on all this. It is of course those guys who need to green light the games. If they happen to poo poo it, we may have to all head down to Docklands with our Hoe's and Pitchforks and recreate the Stockade, which of course in essence was the battlers sticking it to the man!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metal View Post
    Ballarat can sometimes feel like the coldest place on earth, especially if the winds a blowin'. I don't know what it's going to do for our football skills......
    Probably the same thing that Williamstown did.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The cold factor wouldn't be much different from Launceston in the depths of winter, surely? (Brrrrr...)

I'm in favour of this idea, and with growing populations in Melton, Bacchus Marsh, Sunbury and Gisborne, it's a real chance to tap into new markets and those with young families.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic