Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge firms as coach

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Did he lament it? Or was he asked a question about missing a few defenders in the context of a small forward getting off the chain last night?
    I will preface this by saying I didn't see the game or presser last night, but if Bevo did mention injuries as a mitigating factor that is a bit of loser's limp. The best teams are resilient and find a way to manage key injuries - Carlton have almost their entire key defensive stocks out, Geelong has had Dangerfield out, Richmond had Dusty out for weeks, Melbourne and Collingwood have had their no 1 ruckmen out. We did it last year when Bruce and McLean went out late in the season, and of course we did it in 2016. West Coast had Sheppard, Nic Nat, and Gaff out for the last month of the 2018 season. Melbourne had to adjust without Tomlinson (who was on fire until injured) and simply replaced him with Petty and didn't miss a beat last year.

The cavalry is arriving in any event. There are absolutely zero excuses for us in 2022.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

2. Likes EasternWest, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Did he lament it? Or was he asked a question about missing a few defenders in the context of a small forward getting off the chain last night?
    MM, Beveridge talks about injuries a lot compared to 2016. He has for a number of years.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    MM, Beveridge talks about injuries a lot compared to 2016. He has for a number of years.
    2016 was different because the players coming in were all early draft picks whereas now, if we get an injury the players coming up are at best 2nd and 3rd rounders (except JUH). Makes a big difference.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge should this year become the longest-serving coach in the history of Footscray/Western Bulldogs. He'll start the season on 206 career games coached, just 22 away from Ted Whitten's club record of 228.

Let him get to 230 and then sack him.

Just kidding I'm a Bevo supporter.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All on board with Bevo. Probably our best coach ever.

Hopefully this year will show he has still got it.

8. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uninformed View Post
    All on board with Bevo. Probably our best coach ever.

Hopefully this year will show he has still got it.
    I don't think we can argue that point but it's time for the club to deliver again with him at the wheel. Bevo's been brilliant.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

10. Likes Uninformed, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Luke Beveridge should this year become the longest-serving coach in the history of Footscray/Western Bulldogs. He'll start the season on 206 career games coached, just 22 away from Ted Whitten's club record of 228.

Let him get to 230 and then sack him.

Just kidding I'm a Bevo supporter.
    If he equal's Teddy's record he will break it as it means he hasn't been sacked mid-year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    ...just 22 away from Ted Whitten's club record of 228.
    As a club it feels like we have a LOT of 300-game players.

Says something that we don't have a single 300-game coach. I mean, West Coast has only been around since 1987 but Malthouse and Worsfold have both coached more than 228 games at that club.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    As a club it feels like we have a LOT of 300-game players.

Says something that we don't have a single 300-game coach. I mean, West Coast has only been around since 1987 but Malthouse and Worsfold have both coached more than 228 games at that club.
    I suppose when a club struggles for most of its history someone's head has to fall.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

14. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    If he equal's Teddy's record he will break it as it means he hasn't been sacked mid-year.
    The axe remains very sharp. He can’t afford anything other than a really convincing start.
    Time and Tide Waits For No Man

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    The axe remains very sharp. He can?t afford anything other than a really convincing start.
    See, I mean this is what I talked about in the other thread but I was referring to media pundits at the time. A 3-3 or 2-4 start probably doesn't cut it for you and you'll want to axe him which is fine if that's you're thing........

I'm not going to stand in the way of you getting your jollies, even if you're making calls at 1/4 of the season gone.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    See, I mean this is what I talked about in the other thread but I was referring to media pundits at the time. A 3-3 or 2-4 start probably doesn't cut it for you and you'll want to axe him which is fine if that's you're thing........

I'm not going to stand in the way of you getting your jollies, even if you're making calls at 1/4 of the season gone.
    If our first 2 games end up like 2023 Bevo's job is on the line in round 3.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They just had the 1994 QF on Fox and Luke Beveridge was playing, he was quite influential when he came on.
    TBH I never saw him play a bad game for us and wonder why he wasn’t regarded a better player.
    If you watch his games and focus on him he was a thinker and always did the right thing.
    His height was definitely an issue but held his own.
    Surprised he didn’t play more games.
    Bring back the biff

20. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    They just had the 1994 QF on Fox and Luke Beveridge was playing, he was quite influential when he came on.
    TBH I never saw him play a bad game for us and wonder why he wasn’t regarded a better player.
    If you watch his games and focus on him he was a thinker and always did the right thing.
    His height was definitely an issue but held his own.
    Surprised he didn’t play more games.
    He was as hard as a cat's head and could fight like a threshing machine as well. Just the sort of bloke you'd want to run out next to.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

22. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over in the West it's being reported that Fremantle have an interest in Luke Beveridge if things don't improve with Justin Longmuir.
    Corey, Boyd and Murphy would be very familiar faces for him to work with

There is a push within Fremantle to poach Western Bulldogs premiership coach Luke Beveridge if the Justin Longmuir led side does not improve this season.

From Fox AFL

Fremantle is keen to poach Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge if things go wrong and Justin Longmuir is sacked during the 2024 season, reports The West.

The Dockers will reportedly “not extend Longmuir’s contract if his team does not look like a genuine finals chance early this year” with Beveridge leading their list of replacement candidates.

Beveridge is contracted until the end of 2025, as even though the Bulldogs have won a final in just two seasons under his leadership, a pair of runs to the Grand Final have given him tremendous currency.

St Kilda was said to be keen on the 2016 premiership coach before hiring Ross Lyon and that leverage allowed Beveridge to land a new contract in December 2022.

Longmuir, meanwhile, led the Dockers to their first finals victory in almost a decade in 2022 before his young side slumped into the bottom six in 2023.

It sees the out-of-contract coach under intense pressure in the west.

The Dockers have many links to the Bulldogs with chief executive Simon Garlick playing 137 games for the club and holding the same role there in the early 2010s, helping hire Beveridge.

They have also brought across Bulldogs champions Bob Murphy and Matthew Boyd as assistant coaches.

The Bulldogs completed an internal review this past week in an attempt to clear up a messy behind-the-scenes situation, where the lines of reporting were blurred. Beveridge gained plenty of control in recent years as assistants were poached but he was then overruled when the club sacked favourite son Rohan Smith last August.

The only real change made in the review saw Matthew Egan appointed in the new role of GM of Football Operations, reporting to Executive Director of Football Chris Grant.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"