Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  121
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Kennel, Mr Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think we've played that many this year because we've had so many injuries and not a grand plan to introduce versatility into the team. Playing Gowers at all or English as a solo ruck all last year wasn't about versatility.
    You’re 100% correct. We have played that many because of injury. But you’re missing the point, any team facing this amount of injuries should not be sitting second with an 11-3 record. The versatility of our team and in particular our bit players is the reason. This isn’t a 2021 plan. It’s not a 2020 plan. This is at 2015 plan that is now coming to fruition for a sustained period of success. Now I’ll concede that Gowers was an experiment that failed, English was not. He learnt so much on the job as a solo ruck, not just about ruck craft, but ground positioning, reading the play, playing forward and back. As part of the long term plan, you have to see past the short term losses.
    WOOF Member 422

2. Likes Topdog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always been a Bevo fan. Never wanted our premiership coach sacked. Wouldn't swap him for any other coach in the league. I have seen some doozy coaches at our club over 60 years. So grateful we have him. Players love him too.

4. Likes EasternWest, bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Soup - now that Bevo's overseen somewhat of a forced rebuild have you changed your view on him being the two to three year contract magic man/ breath of fresh air?

Sort of.

My comment to that is that I think more than many coaches he is able to squeeze more blood out of the stone, mainly through reinvigorating a group mentally and also enabling them to play to their potential (or even above) in the short term.

Thats admittedly based on a one club sample size, but I am confident in his ability in this regard.

He has also proven now that he can build a side up over a period of time with this rebuild of sorts. He is a very good development coach, we have an abundance of talent and he deserves credit for that. The question remains to me until we have shown that we can be a proper top four side.

Our finals performances (and in season performances against quality sides like Melbourne and Richmond) have been poor at times. I'm actually really optimistic, but if we falter against these sides/in the finals again then the question is still there for me, as to whether he is equipped to turn the team mentally into what it could be. That's not just on him, but it is something he is accountable for.

So to answer your question early signs are that he can do both, but I'm not sure what my view is if we don't make anything of this next period at the top.

Also I still think it could be something quite revolutionary if he did embrace the 3 year contract role and was good at it. Not even once a decade do you get a coach spend time at two different clubs as the guy to take them the rest of the way. Ross Lyon is the only one to pull off the "I'm gonna skip the rebuild and jump ship to an up and comer" move, basically every other coach hangs around until they get fired. A coach that is knowingly only at a club for a good time not a long time is something I find fascinating, and Beveridge is probably the best equipped in the comp for it imo.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest, Scraggers, Topdog liked this post