Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  121
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Kennel, Mr Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In what way?
    I think it has something related to the assistant coaches around Bevo. GVG can clarify that.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

In what way?
    I'd have him more focused on match day rather than match committee and I'd try to have spending less time in the media
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd have him more focused on match day rather than match committee and I'd try to have spending less time in the media
    Being out of the country I don't see it, but how much media does he actually do? I didn't think he was overly exposed.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Being out of the country I don't see it, but how much media does he actually do? I didn't think he was overly exposed.
    Very little, but he hates it at a fundamental level. Doesn’t participate in the boys club element and it gets distracting when they butt heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    As SOS said, he doesn't like the media and to be frank I don't think he is that good at it. Getting into feuds doesn't serve him nor the club well either.
    He's got to focus more on the match requirements than trying to revolutionise the game as well.

Post Thanks / Like

OK.

I think there's elements of the AFL media he's extremely cynical towards and outright despises, but there's also plenty of examples of him being extremely courteous and warm with other elements of it. That he gets caught up or fixated on some issues or media people actually points to some positives within his personality that I think make him such a good coach when he is focused.

Indifference towards the bullshit the likes of Barrett and some others spin is precisely the reason why they are able to get away with it so regularly. At least Bevo is willing to fight a fight - albeit too often in some cases - others aren't willing to, because as we've seen, if left unchecked some of the rubbish has a real impact on the lives of those it is targeted towards.

8. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The coach has to be on the match committee??? This is a strange comment

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Very little, but he hates it at a fundamental level. Doesn’t participate in the boys club element and it gets distracting when they butt heads.
    The only media work Bevo does is the weekly press conferences before and after the match

As SOS said, he doesn't like the media and to be frank I don't think he is that good at it. Getting into feuds doesn't serve him nor the club well either.
    He's got to focus more on the match requirements than trying to revolutionise the game as well.
    The only feud he has had is with Barrett, and I don't blame him, the guy is a knob of the highest order?

Are there any other examples of feuds?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes 1eyedog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The coach has to be on the match committee??? This is a strange comment
    Where is that written in stone? I don't mind him having input on selections but he shouldn't be close to having final or total say.
    We've played substantially better football once the selections improved
    I'd also prefer that he was at arms length on trading and recruiting decisions

He's a fine match day coach, I think it would serve everyone well for that to be his focus

Post Thanks / Like

The coach is accountable for performances so has the final say in selections in my view.

Post Thanks / Like

Where is that written in stone? I don't mind him having input on selections but he shouldn't be close to having final or total say.
    We've played substantially better football once the selections improved
    How do you know he has the final say? In any case, he is accountable for the team performance. We played better football when players found form and were promoted.

I'd also prefer that he was at arms length on trading and recruiting decisions

He's a fine match day coach, I think it would serve everyone well for that to be his focus
    I remember mentioning on this forum that Rocket said he didn't get involved in trading and recruiting, and basically most on here said I lied about that and couldn't believe it.

Bevo says, he is one voice on a committee of six - I think that is fine as long as he is following those rules.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Coach has to have final say in selection.

Coach has to front the media. Bevo does the very bare minimum.

His focus couldn’t be more narrow.

His support team could and should be reviewed to ensure they’re adding value.

A head coach can’t hide. They can’t delegate all the key decisions. They have to be good at lots of things.

15. Likes bornadog, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Coach has to have final say in selection.

Coach has to front the media. Bevo does the very bare minimum.

His focus couldn’t be more narrow.

His support team could and should be reviewed to ensure they’re adding value.

A head coach can’t hide. They can’t delegate all the key decisions. They have to be good at lots of things.
    I get that this is a perceived position but I don't believe that should definitely be the case. The coaches job is to get wins on the board for the players he is given and that includes recruitment. When Bomber Thompson had his focus narrowed Geelong imporived immensely. This can also work for a coach like Bevo.

Bevo is a great match day coach who's right on top of his game at the moment. I love the way he has swung Naughton back at crucial times. Let him be the coach first and foremost and let others share some of the other responsibilities.

Post Thanks / Like

I get that this is a perceived position but I don't believe that should definitely be the case. The coaches job is to get wins on the board for the players he is given and that includes recruitment. When Bomber Thompson had his focus narrowed Geelong imporived immensely. This can also work for a coach like Bevo.

Bevo is a great match day coach who's right on top of his game at the moment. I love the way he has swung Naughton back at crucial times. Let him be the coach first and foremost and let others share some of the other responsibilities.
    Recruitment is one thing, match committee is something completely different. Can you actually explain how it would work practically to have a situation where the coach doesn't have final say in selection?

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. He has the match day strategies , the overall game plan. I can't fathom how he could effectively execute either without the right balance of players playing in the roles he wants them. To me, having the last say in who he has on the park is one of the most critical aspects influencing the success of both. He should also know the players strengths and weaknesses more intimately than anyone else at the club. At least that's what I would have thought..
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

**Bump**

Last season there were a few on WOOF who were calling for Bevo to walk, saying that his days should be numbered. As we sit 11-3 right now and presumably finals bound, just wondering what people think of Bevo now? Are there still naysayers?
    WOOF Member 422