Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  121
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the Kennel, Mr Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I love his comments about the previous coach. Puts to bed the BS people talk about in regard to learning contested footy.
    Beat me to it. Ditto.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Beat me to it. Ditto.
    Contested footy is nothing unless you have a plan.

Pre BMacc, under Rocket - we were in the top 2 or 3 for contess. poss.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Contested footy is nothing unless you have a plan.

Pre BMacc, under Rocket - we were in the top 2 or 3 for contess. poss.
    As Bevo said, winning contested possessions in bigger numbers alone is not his philosophy. And that's all we did for the two BMac years. Play Minno as a single scrummer/ruck, play a couple of taggers, get everyone into the contest and then have nobody around to distribute it. The actual challenge which great teams do is to win contested footy as well as shut down opponents and still have the ability to have players who can distribute to commence attack from anywhere on the ground. That's what we've done for two years now, and that bears no semblance to the years before it. I liked Bevo's comments, not only because they're apt, but he and the 2015 & 2016 assistants deserve all the credit in my book.

It's interesting as a portrait, the culture of 2014 as told by many players and the media, and what the last two years has been like. Much happier footballers.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys feel that if MR pushed him further. Or maybe off air. He may have elaborated on the talia thing. Something tells me that bevo had some serious plans last year. Unlike this finals series. There was a rat in 2015. Dunno. Just seems like he was really pissed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    Do you guys feel that if MR pushed him further. Or maybe off air. He may have elaborated on the talia thing. Something tells me that bevo had some serious plans last year. Unlike this finals series. Their was no rat. Dunno. Just seems like he was really pissed.
    I've very briefly chatted to Bevo about it, about a year ago. I don't think Bevo would add fuel to the fire now, even if Robbo pushed him. He was upset then (and probably now) for the entire club, for the 40+ other players, our president, that finals series, for the fans, other unintended victims (Cheney etc) and the hurt that comes from when people burn your trust in a bad way, previously not seen in our code until then. The article shows Bevo to have a strong moral compass and sense of justice and with what happened, and it hurts so much more when there's such a betrayal. We've all moved on in the 18 months for the better (ex. MT) and so should the journos

Personally, Robbo shouldn't have gone back there after so much amazing stuff has happened in his two years, and no doubt Robbo knows what really/actually happened too. We cut MT loose to be a tool and guilty party drug possesser (during his rehab) in Sydney, and we used that draft pick to trade in Travis Cloke. Robbo should've been asking why and how Bevo thinks he can turn Trav around, and what role Bevo could use him for that Buckley hadn't. But in the world of lowest common denominator journalism, picking a scab gets more attention then interesting insights.

7. Likes ratsmac, Sedat, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You gotta love Luke Beveridge don't you. He seems like a good human being. Always thinking of others, but don't cross him or him people with disrespect.

I also loved his response re McCartney. He gave credit where it belongs, to the current coaches.

I'm disappointed MR didn't ask him if he cuts his own hair
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I've very briefly chatted to Bevo about it, about a year ago. I don't think Bevo would add fuel to the fire now, even if Robbo pushed him. He was upset then (and probably now) for the entire club, for the 40+ other players, our president, that finals series, for the fans, other unintended victims (Cheney etc) and the hurt that comes from when people burn your trust in a bad way, previously not seen in our code until then. The article shows Bevo to have a strong moral compass and sense of justice and with what happened, and it hurts so much more when there's such a betrayal. We've all moved on in the 18 months for the better (ex. MT) and so should the journos

Personally, Robbo shouldn't have gone back there after so much amazing stuff has happened in his two years, and no doubt Robbo knows what really/actually happened too. We cut MT loose to be a tool and guilty party drug possesser (during his rehab) in Sydney, and we used that draft pick to trade in Travis Cloke. Robbo should've been asking why and how Bevo thinks he can turn Trav around, and what role Bevo could use him for that Buckley hadn't. But in the world of lowest common denominator journalism, picking a scab gets more attention then interesting insights.
    Very true mate. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

As Bevo said, winning contested possessions in bigger numbers alone is not his philosophy. And that's all we did for the two BMac years. Play Minno as a single scrummer/ruck, play a couple of taggers, get everyone into the contest and then have nobody around to distribute it. The actual challenge which great teams do is to win contested footy as well as shut down opponents and still have the ability to have players who can distribute to commence attack from anywhere on the ground. That's what we've done for two years now, and that bears no semblance to the years before it. I liked Bevo's comments, not only because they're apt, but he and the 2015 & 2016 assistants deserve all the credit in my book.

It's interesting as a portrait, the culture of 2014 as told by many players and the media, and what the last two years has been like. Much happier footballers.
    You like Bevo's comments because you interpret them as a reinforcement of your beliefs. That I interpret them differently probably isn't a surprise to you.

There's something in his comments about list churn, and the way I read them is that McCartney left a contested football legacy with the players that remained and it made things easier for Bev and his coaching team. I've also had a few instances of people telling me that the former had a huge skills focus that was completely different from Rocket which developed the playing list quickly.

His defence of the impact the current coaching team had on the success of the group is perfectly understandable. How could he assign praise to the prevous coach in any sense, let alone over and above the praise he could give his own team?

Trying to read anything definitive into those comments is folly, it was text book straight bat with a little bit of opinion each way.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You like Bevo's comments because you interpret them as a reinforcement of your beliefs. That I interpret them differently probably isn't a surprise to you.

There's something in his comments about list churn, and the way I read them is that McCartney left a contested football legacy with the players that remained and it made things easier for Bev and his coaching team. I've also had a few instances of people telling me that the former had a huge skills focus that was completely different from Rocket which developed the playing list quickly.

His defence of the impact the current coaching team had on the success of the group is perfectly understandable. How could he assign praise to the prevous coach in any sense, let alone over and above the praise he could give his own team?

Trying to read anything definitive into those comments is folly, it was text book straight bat with a little bit of opinion each way.
    Far too in depth for me. Can we pick this up again if we lose a couple of games and random poster throws this up as their first post in 12 months? Too much to look forward to right now to do an in depth retrospective, as well as the fact we have incongruent perspectives of those years.

The real issue is what this club has remarkably managed to do in under 2 years and the interview questions in this '2 part' 'in depth interview' are about BMac and Taheeya. Did Robbo run out of time to bring up Grphyone, or the fact we've had three CEO's in his short tenure at the club?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that Bevo's background in the business World is a huge asset to him. Just love hearing him speak (or reading him in this case).

I hate that Robbo conducted this interview, guy is such a moron. Not surprising that Robbo mistook SWOT analysis for SWAT. Bevo mentioned Nelson Mandela and Robbo queries why he hasnt chosen a leader....

14. Likes josie, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    Do you guys feel that if MR pushed him further. Or maybe off air. He may have elaborated on the talia thing. Something tells me that bevo had some serious plans last year. Unlike this finals series. There was a rat in 2015. Dunno. Just seems like he was really pissed.
    The comment about people not knowing what's a driver behind certain decisions in government was interesting.

One could interpret that as a nod to the gambling can of worms a negative finding could've found the AFL opening.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think that Bevo's background in the business World is a huge asset to him. Just love hearing him speak (or reading him in this case).

I hate that Robbo conducted this interview, guy is such a moron. Not surprising that Robbo mistook SWOT analysis for SWAT. Bevo mentioned Nelson Mandela and Robbo queries why he hasnt chosen a leader....
    I had to read that three times. How could he be so stupid as to not know who Nelson Mandela was?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I had to read that three times. How could he be so stupid as to not know who Nelson Mandela was?
    LOL I did the same, read it 3 or 4 times and asked myself if maybe the interruption happened before he mentioned Mandela but in putting it in writing he messed up.... I guess we will never know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    LOL I did the same, read it 3 or 4 times and asked myself if maybe the interruption happened before he mentioned Mandela but in putting it in writing he messed up.... I guess we will never know

That's the explanation I came up too. A sort of literary trick of the light. He was distracted when Bevo said Mandela the first time (a dog with a fluffy tale or a beer truck probably went past) or he took a couple of days between listening to the tapes. Nobody could be that stupid or they would forget to blink and their eyes would fall out or something.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Now a Professor at VU

link

Victoria University has today announced the appointment of Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge as an adjunct professor.

Beveridge will work on a number of activities related to the University’s various sport science, coach, and management courses and activities.

The third year coach said he was excited to contribute to the strengthening of ties between the Club and it’s long-time partner.

“The Club and Victoria University have a strong and healthy partnership and I’m honoured to be able to continue to develop that with this appointment, Beveridge told westernbulldogs.com.au following his appointment.

“I look forward to working alongside VU staff and students in the coming months and strengthening the Club’s relationship with Victoria University.”

VU Dean of the College of Sport and Exercise Science Hans Westerbeek said Luke’s many contributions to sport and beyond will be invaluable to it’s the University’s students and staff.

“There is no better way for students to engage in their chosen professions than by working with people at the top of their game such as Luke. The many perspectives on leadership and managing teams that Luke can bring to the table will offer staff – teachers and researchers – the opportunity to develop their own approaches to being leaders.”

“Adjunct professors are also ambassadors for VU. VU should be proud to count among its adjunct professors the coach and manager who brought Premiership pride back to the West, and in the process, surprised and delighted the rest of Australia with a brand of football and team spirit that captured the hearts of millions.

Australian Rules Football became so much more than a game on that Grand Final day in 2016.”
    Last edited by bornadog; 23-03-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

20. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post