Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

10 Questions for Beveridge

Some good questions here on the issues Beveridge is about to face.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-1...-for-beveridge
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10 Questions for Beveridge

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Some good questions here on the issues Beveridge is about to face.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-1...-for-beveridge
    A lot of the questions posed aren't necessarily for the coach.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Some thoughts as a lot of the Q's aren't solely for the coach:

Q1: Managing Boyd expectations.

He is going to be played in the seniors every match that he is fit. The problem will be the frequency and quality of the supply: can we get the ball to him and in a way that can be capitalised on?

Q2: Wage inflation following the Boyd deal.

Yes, this will be a problem. Probably, we are going to have to play money ball with the lesser lights on the list over the next 5-10 years. But it is not a unique problem, most of the good teams have it.

Q3: experienced players loss

Gia had in fact played 1 season too many. Cooney was but a shadow of his glory days. Higgins has never been a pivotal player. We already have some emerging players to take over from these three. It is Griffen that will hurt. One player. In the short term.

Q4: pending departures of Boyd, Murphy & Morris.

We are turning over 10 players from our senior list this year. There is the opportunity to also replenish the entire 4 spots on the rookie list. We should be able to find some replacements over the next couple of years for these valuable players from what we do this year.

Q5: find a key defender.

We have around 6 candidates for KPB roles on the list: Talia, Roberts, Hamling, Redpath, with Roughead and Bontempelli (CHB) even as a possibility. The first 4 named have been maturing for a few years and are now ready to stake their claims.

Q6: fix relationship with media.

It is not broken, we are doing a lot to promote the club in the media. We just need more coverage and more favourable coverage. Winning games is the solution.

Q7: best position for Bontempelli?

Pavlich, Adam Goodes, Goddard. They play a variety of positions. The flexibility is a bonus for the team.

Q8: minimise back room dramas.

This is a good question as Beveridge is inheriting Macca's crew.

Q9: Can Bulldogs win flag?

Yes, provided the AFL allows a level playing field.

10: What does he need for success?

That one is for the coach.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Does any one know why we apparently have a problem with the media?

I'm not aware of any issues with the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Does any one know why we apparently have a problem with the media?

I'm not aware of any issues with the media.
    I haven't heard it this year, but I've recall some journos over the last few years say our media team is difficult to deal with and restrictive in allowing players to comment after games to the same level other teams allow. Not having heard it this year I assumed everything was ok. Maybe it's some baggage?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I haven't heard it this year, but I've recall some journos over the last few years say our media team is difficult to deal with and restrictive in allowing players to comment after games to the same level other teams allow. Not having heard it this year I assumed everything was ok. Maybe it's some baggage?
    Sounds petty but it could be right.
    Maybe they have cracked the shits with being blindsided by the Boyd deal. The level of comment about the deal and the potential ramifications for other players has been a bit dramatic as well. Even Robbo's carrying on over a potential Montgomery coaching appointment sounded vindictive for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the relationship with the media refers to our lack of pull, coverage and popularity as a club.
    Notice that whenever any kind of lists of clubs is published on AFL.com, we are always, always at the bottom of the list.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they have cracked the shits with being blindsided by the Boyd deal. The level of comment about the deal and the potential ramifications for other players has been a bit dramatic as well. Even Robbo's carrying on over a potential Montgomery coaching appointment sounded vindictive for some reason.
    I don't think we should under estimate how much the media loved Macca, especially the 360 duo. To some like Robbo, I think the club's actions were akin to killing Bambi. We just need to keep ignoring some of the rubbish.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't think we should under estimate how much the media loved Macca, especially the 360 duo. To some like Robbo, I think the club's actions were akin to killing Bambi. We just need to keep ignoring some of the rubbish.
    Robbo openly campaigned for Beveridge. I don't think too much was lost there..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    It was very much a late play though and he certainly didn't endorse him early on. I think he read the late mail and got on board.
    Early on he said we needed an experienced coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I think the relationship with the media refers to our lack of pull, coverage and popularity as a club.
    Notice that whenever any kind of lists of clubs is published on AFL.com, we are always, always at the bottom of the list.
    I'll bite, not sure if you are serious, but isn't it always published in alphabetical order?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

It was very much a late play though and he certainly didn't endorse him early on. I think he read the late mail and got on board.
    Early on he said we needed an experienced coach.
    Yep, granted. That's the way Robbo rolls. He's middle ground. Not quite a bandwagon starter... More a bandwagon jumper... It's the red and black way...!

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit dramatic is an understatement G.
    Do they honestly think the club and the bean counters haven't had contracts and figures on a whiteboard or something more modern?
    It's lazy journalism to just put it out there that Boyd's on a mil a year and that's it.
    It would be front loaded or something similar( we're all just guessing)

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta say credit to the unmade bed, he at least did some investigating into Beveridge.
    Can someone inform the Age we have appointed a new coach .
    You wouldn't we'd appointed someone with their coverage

18. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, granted. That's the way Robbo rolls. He's middle ground. Not quite a bandwagon starter... More a bandwagon jumper... It's the red and black way...!
    If he isn't breaking stories, what exactly is his value to the footy community? He has as much knowledge into the runnings of the club as the everyday pundit and that's how I treat his opinions.

20. Likes strebla liked this post