Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who's the best-paid Dog?

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    That 800k could have helped convince a Greenwood type player to choose us (wouldn't have cost a first rounder) and a Membury to get ro us in the PSD or that sort of thing
    But I guess im not that pracital and just burning the 800k because we have to is a better idea.
    and what happens to our salary cap in 2016 and 2017 with Greenwood on our list? We cant convince him to come over for 800k in one year. We would have to keep paying him similar salary for future years putting even further strain on keeping our playing group together.
    In any case we offered Greenwood more than anyone else and he turned us down anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    and what happens to our salary cap in 2016 and 2017 with Greenwood on our list? We cant convince him to come over for 800k in one year. We would have to keep paying him similar salary for future years putting even further strain on keeping our playing group together.
    In any case we offered Greenwood more than anyone else and he turned us down anyway
    You could always front load a contract.

Im not saying it to be Greenwood, but there would be plenty of options.

If this scares you how do you feel about paying a 20 year old a million bucks a season?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Some good debate going on here.

I'm definitely in the camp of doing what it took to get Boyd. Saying we overpaid is simply calling it too early.

I agree there could be salary pressures but ultimately I think that the players who just chase coin are pretty few in number and if we can build a strong culture ala geelong, hawthorn, st kilda etc, we will be able to keep this group together.

Post Thanks / Like

I view Griffen as a free hit, because he walked out and his position was totally untenable. He was going anyway, with 99% certainty to GWS, and we got the best possible deal for him. So it's more like 6 and salary considerations for Boyd.

Paying his salary is also fine for the reasons outlined. I've seen Membery and Greenwood mentioned, but $800k for 2 players with one good season of ~10 between them is not efficient spending. The future salary cap insurance is, however.

I think we can all agree this is the balls to the wall sort of stuff the club has never done. I'm pretty happy with it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always front load a contract.

Im not saying it to be Greenwood, but there would be plenty of options.

If this scares you how do you feel about paying a 20 year old a million bucks a season?
    im not sure too many players (of the type we need) would be willing to come to us with 800k front-loaded then scraps for the other years

I think its a bold move by the club but am happy they did it. Being risk-adverse hasn't really gotten us far. Id much rather pay 1mil to one of the best forward prospects in the history of the game than pay 600-800k for a Greenwood type player. For a club thats been crying out for a tall forward (and a marquee player) we have finally put our balls on the line. It will make or break us but at least we wont die wondering. Im just happy we didnt take the safe, low-risk option again. This high risk deal makes sense to us and the time was right to take it on

7. Likes wimberga, dadsgirl16 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if this goes pear shaped its going to screw us for nearly a decade.
    I am sorry (and not directed at you specifically chef), but we have made a bold move.

If it works out we will consider this the best thing that the club has EVER done.

Too often we see people everywhere, who back away from a bold undertaking because something might go wrong.

Success comes from being on the edge.
    Real success comes from bold moves on the basis that something might go right.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am sorry (and not directed at you specifically chef), but we have made a bold move.

If it works out we will consider this the best thing that the club has EVER done.

Too often we see people everywhere, who back away from a bold undertaking because something might go wrong.

Success comes from being on the edge.
    Real success comes from bold moves on the basis that something might go right.
    Im not saying it isn't bold, ballsy or whatever we want to call it, it's probs the biggest gamble financially of a player in the history of the AFL.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not saying it isn't bold, ballsy or whatever we want to call it, it's probs the biggest gamble financially of a player in the history of the AFL.
    why not make history? Someone was going to do it eventually. Lets not be the followers anymore. And this type of deal will be done again at seasons end 2015 for Jeremy Cameron (if he leaves)

Post Thanks / Like

why not make history? Someone was going to do it eventually. Lets not be the followers anymore. And this type of deal will be done again at seasons end 2015 for Jeremy Cameron (if he leaves)
    I've never said I dont want him, just that we way over paid and we could have used that extra $$$ to strengthen elsewhere.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never said I dont want him, just that we way over paid and we could have used that extra $$$ to strengthen elsewhere.
    Yes but if we want him we have to pay for him. You're not gonna get the best forward prospect of the game for market value.

Post Thanks / Like

if this goes pear shaped its going to screw us for nearly a decade.
    We had Griffen at his prime playing elite football (and Cooney and Higgins) and we finished no higher than 15th in the last 3 seasons. What exactly are we risking?

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We had Griffen at his prime playing elite football (and Cooney and Higgins) and we finished no higher than 15th in the last 3 seasons. What exactly are we risking?
    A million dollar hole in the salary cap each season.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

A million dollar hole in the salary cap each season.
    Are you talking about Boyd's salary? We would have paid that much and then some to retain all of Griffen, Cooney and Higgins and still finished around 14th at best.

We have a bloke on our list now who is the standout player of his age group, has another 12+ years left in the game and addresses a glaring hole on our list. If he continues to develop and improve from his elite U18 level he will actually end up being a bargain for us.

Cameron's next contract will make Boyd's look like chicken feed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes but if we want him we have to pay for him. You're not gonna get the best forward prospect of the game for market value.
    Agree, but IMO we paid way to much.

I hope like hell im wrong.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Well if we weren't able to finish last, draft and develop our own top end talent KPF then that's unfortunately what it costs to secure one from elsewhere.

I'm more concerned about our mid tier players being lured elsewhere for 25% pay increases than I am about losing the guys touted as being in the top bracket in years to come.