Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  205
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Do you give away a free for dropping the knees though?
    No, but play on gets called and the ball goes the other way.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    But he has possession of the ball, anything can happen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Or he gets tackled correctly and is penalised for holding the ball.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

The whole ducking thing is caused by the umpries and its very annoying. The point of it is to protect players heads, so rewarding a player for purposely putting his own head in danger is just stupid.

In my mind if you have time to duck, then you have time to get rid of the ball - its prior opportunity. So by all means duck if you think you can avoid a tackle that way, but if you cant and you get wrapped up, then your gone.

Two weeks of that sort of umpiring and you would never see another case of ducking into a tackle ever again.

As for Toby, he is going to get more mileage out of keeping his arms high and free so he can get rid of the ball when tackled, in the long run.

5. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't duck though. He does nothing with his upper torso at all. It's all with his lower body.

He just gets low down in a crouch almost with his arms free, either to draw the contact or if it's legal, get rid of the ball.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He doesn't duck though. He does nothing with his upper torso at all. It's all with his lower body.

He just gets low down in a crouch almost with his arms free, either to draw the contact or if it's legal, get rid of the ball.
    Exactly and you can't make a rule to stop someone dropping knees or lowering their body

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as it's within the rules and it helps us win games, I have no problem with it. Go Toby.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

If the tackling skill was correct it would be at his hips and if Toby lowers his body the tackle would be chest high. Players just need to execute the tackle better.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

He tends to stay low for a bit after he gets the ground ball, its the way he plays.

Overall, very happy with his service to the team, he's an AFL quality player already but has a massive upside still. In saying that, I'd be happy to see him rested (at Footscray) for a couple of weeks and Dickson coming in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Exactly and you can't make a rule to stop someone dropping knees or lowering their body
    But you can stop rewarding them with a free when they do. Then it would become a pointless move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    But you can stop rewarding them with a free when they do. Then it would become a pointless move.
    Why it is a legit free for around the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    The way Toby is able to draw contact that makes it look like his head was ripped off, I doubt the umpires will ever stop giving them.

Cripps offended on the weekend and complained that the knees were dropped and the commentators mocked him for it, saying 'how could you complain about that'. I feel the umpires are of the same opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

The way Toby is able to draw contact that makes it look like his head was ripped off, I doubt the umpires will ever stop giving them.

Cripps offended on the weekend and complained that the knees were dropped and the commentators mocked him for it, saying 'how could you complain about that'. I feel the umpires are of the same opinion.
    Watching the game on TV, it looked to me like Carton had been instructed to go in really hard on their opponents. No wonder they lost the free kick count. Something else for their brains trust to think about.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Toby is a clever little ducker!

Post Thanks / Like

How good has this kid been.

Looking at his highlights here, he kicked two goals and created at least another 5.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post