Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  205
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Enjoying watching his play - seems a natural footballer first and foremost (albeit a very skinny one)
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

After last night, Pure Magic:

Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
    Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Kicks
    Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Handballs
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Disposals
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Marks
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Goals
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Supercoach Score
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions
    Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals
    Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Contested Marks
    Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Marks Inside 50
    Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Clearances
    Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Bounces
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Time On Ground %
    Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Kicks Per Game
    Ranked 10th among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
    Ranked 4th among rising stars in Marks Per Game
    Ranked 4th among rising stars in Goals Per Game
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game
    Ranked 3rd among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
    Ranked 5th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
    Ranked 10th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
    Ranked 7th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
    Ranked 9th among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game
    Ranked 9th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought he was one of a few that could hold his head high after last nights game. Was impressed again with his clean hands in and around the contest. Kicked a goal out of nothing and almost had another one out of nothing.

The pressure doesn't seem to bother him at all.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Media is on to Toby

Toby McLean joins Joel Selwood, Luke Shuey among top high tackle free kick winners

WESTERN Bulldogs youngster Toby McLean looks set to claim the AFL’s most unwanted tag.

After playing all seven games this season - for a career tally of just 11 - the 20-year-old is the AFL leader when it comes to receiving high tackle free kicks.

McLean has received 14 free kicks from high contact this season, one more than another player quickly earning a reputation, Lion Allen Christensen.

The Bulldogs youngster has earnt at least one high tackle free kick in every game this season.

Geelong captain Joel Selwood has long been accused of ducking or shrugging to earn high tackle free kicks and the strategy is becoming more prevalent.

Selwood is head and shoulders ahead of anyone when it comes to high tackle free kicks from 2012 to 2016 with a staggering 157, 60 more than former teammate Christensen.

The Cats star isn’t far behind McLean with 10 high tackle free kicks so far this season while Anthony Miles, Luke Shuey and Sam Mitchell are prominent on both lists.

“Shrugging” or dropping the knees has become a bugbear of fans in recent years as players drop or lean into tackles in order to win the free kick.

While McLean came into the league best known for a high-flying mark in the TAC Cup he has quickly learnt how to maximise free kicks.

The Bulldogs forward earns 10.3 per cent of his possessions from free kicks.

Unsurprisingly, ruckman dominate this statistic with Todd Goldstein (15 per cent) leading the way and Nic Naitanui, Brodie Grundy and Stef Martin not far behind.

Christensen is the top non-ruckman, earning 12 per cent of his disposals from free kicks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we've all cursed Selwood's 'cheating' for years. A price we have to pay on our journey to becoming the Detriot pistons ( most hated) of the AFL? If it wins us a final I don't think I'll complain.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well, we've all cursed Selwood's 'cheating' for years. A price we have to pay on our journey to becoming the Detriot pistons ( most hated) of the AFL? If it wins us a final I don't think I'll complain.
    I wouldn't use the word cheating.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, the secret is out. Not that it ever hurt Selwood
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe it took them this long to be honest.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Especially when it's been discussed freely on here and we all know the media are monitoring us... Ssh!

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd point out this excellent line in the above quoted article:
    Selwood is head and shoulders ahead of anyone when it comes to high tackle free kicks from 2012 to 2016 with a staggering 157, 60 more than former teammate Christensen.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Likes bornadog, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While McLean is accused by opposition (read Adelaide) of ducking, he just has good technique in going low to take possession and staying low until he can offload, basically keeping his body in position to make a fair tackle extremely difficult.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Thanks Drunken Bum thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember talking to Rocket about how Selwood got all the free kicks for high tackles and he thought it was fair as Selwood could shrug his shoulders and force the tacklers arms to slide up to his neck.

Tacklers need to look at Libba (jnr and snr), they never give frees away for around the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I remember talking to Rocket about how Selwood got all the free kicks for high tackles and he thought it was fair as Selwood could shrug his shoulders and force the tacklers arms to slide up to his neck.

Tacklers need to look at Libba (jnr and snr), they never give frees away for around the neck.
    Good point. The onus is on the tackler and their use of technique. I thought Adelaide were pretty undisciplined, and in the end gave away some 50's that indicated their frustration. You can be as kamakazi as you like but it will cost you.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Opposition want to pin the arms to either receive an incorrect disposal or holding the ball free, rather than tackle around the waist. They have the right to try and do that.

Does Toby not have the right to do everything he can to shrug off the tackle and either get free to dispose of the ball or draw high contact?

Is he supposed to just let the opposition drill him into the ground?

He has perfected a completely legal technique and should be congratulated. Honestly, his weekly high free kicks are some of my favourite moments of the game.

17. Likes Testekill, bornadog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Opposition want to pin the arms to either receive an incorrect disposal or holding the ball free, rather than tackle around the waist. They have the right to try and do that.

Does Toby not have the right to do everything he can to shrug off the tackle and either get free to dispose of the ball or draw high contact?

Is he supposed to just let the opposition drill him into the ground?

He has perfected a completely legal technique and should be congratulated. Honestly, his weekly high free kicks are some of my favourite moments of the game.
    Mine too!! The excitement actually builds in me when I see him gather the ball down low at pace - the anticipation that someone will almost certainly get him high and we will shoot for goal!!

Around the neck is around the neck - no matter what happens really (unless you drive yourself into the opposition, which he doesn't) so the article will have no bearing on him continuing to get his one or two a game.

I like how Bevo stood up for him and Bailey Dale during the week. Without naming them specifically, he mentioned how we have got young players in their 1st or 2nd years putting their heads over the footy and getting free kicks for high contact. And 'if you deserve a free, you get one'.