Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  205
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Mine too!! The excitement actually builds in me when I see him gather the ball down low at pace - the anticipation that someone will almost certainly get him high and we will shoot for goal!!

Around the neck is around the neck - no matter what happens really (unless you drive yourself into the opposition, which he doesn't) so the article will have no bearing on him continuing to get his one or two a game.

I like how Bevo stood up for him and Bailey Dale during the week. Without naming them specifically, he mentioned how we have got young players in their 1st or 2nd years putting their heads over the footy and getting free kicks for high contact. And 'if you deserve a free, you get one'.
    Now the AFL want to review the rule. Another knee jerk reaction. They are a bloody disgrace.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I love how Bevo will come out and defend our club and players with such passion. He's not sooky or unreasonable, but you know he means it and he stands up.

3. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    I love how Bevo will come out and defend our club and players with such passion. He's not sooky or unreasonable, but you know he means it and he stands up.
    Gutless wonder Barret having another go at him today on AFL website (see here)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks Murphy'sLore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Now the AFL want to review the rule. Another knee jerk reaction. They are a bloody disgrace.
    I've never seen a body as terrified of organisational inertia as the AFL.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I've never seen a body as terrified of organisational inertia as the AFL.
    Fans should demand a cap on rule changes over a period of 5 seasons. Make the accountable.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He is certainly making his vendetta personal.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Fans should demand a cap on rule changes over a period of 5 seasons. Make the accountable.
    A rule change on the rule changes? Brilliant!

11. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    A rule change on the rule changes? Brilliant!

A rule change to the rule change regarding rule changing.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

13. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bahrrytt (and I know you're reading this), put it away. No seriously, put it away. Put the grinding axe away. You look like a tool. A big dumb tool.
    Last edited by Daughter of the West; 13-05-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

15. Likes ReLoad, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh! Shit splatters.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive always hated the interpretation of the 'protection of the head' rule that actually encourages players to put their heads in danger.

I hope the AFL instructs the umpires to stop doing it, and then the practice will disappear.

Playing for a head high free is no different to taking a dive, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Ive always hated the interpretation of the 'protection of the head' rule that actually encourages players to put their heads in danger.

I hope the AFL instructs the umpires to stop doing it, and then the practice will disappear.

Playing for a head high free is no different to taking a dive, IMO.
    So what should Toby do when the tackle is around his arms? Just drop the ball? He has the right to try and evade the tackler. If the technique of the tackler isn't perfect allowing for the tackle to creep up, that's on the tackler.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    So what should Toby do when the tackle is around his arms? Just drop the ball? He has the right to try and evade the tackler. If the technique of the tackler isn't perfect allowing for the tackle to creep up, that's on the tackler.
    Lets not pretend that he and a few others in the league dont play for head high free kicks. Personally I dont like any player playing for any kind of free kicks.

But OK, I dont particularly care if he tries to 'evade' a tackle by going low - its the free kick I object to. If the umps stopped paying those free kicks, the practice would disappear overnight, because without the possibility of drawing a free, its not an effective way to dispose of the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets not pretend that he and a few others in the league dont play for head high free kicks. Personally I dont like any player playing for any kind of free kicks.

But OK, I dont particularly care if he tries to 'evade' a tackle by going low - its the free kick I object to. If the umps stopped paying those free kicks, the practice would disappear overnight, because without the possibility of drawing a free, its not an effective way to dispose of the ball.
    How about the tackler, tackles properly and not around or close to the shoulders.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Stefoid.
    Just can't agree with your point.

They have stopped the leading with the head frees, that were a feature of the play of Daniel Cross.

What McLean has done is develop a technique that makes it very difficult for a tackler to get him legally (that is NOT HIGH) and prevent him disposing of the ball. He will stop getting the frees when someone finds a technique to pin him legally.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured