Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  205
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Watching that video actually made me think he is less of a stager than i thought, although he makes high contact very obvious at times and does this drop turn which either means they get him high or he drives past them .

Based on the video I deemed:
    1. Freo player was coming in hot but McLean drops so probably creates it
    2. Freo game can't tell from video
    3. Saints game he drops for the contact drawing the free
    4. Saints game he turns and the free is not created by him
    5. Hawks he drops for contact
    6. Hawks game he drops and turns. Borderline but probably ok
    7. Hawks game can't tell
    8. Tries to dodge around players, Cripps nearly kills him regardless of dropping
    9. Carlton awkward ground ball bump that gets paid regardless of McLeans involvement
    10. Brisbane free he drops for it
    11. Brisbane game Taylor is clumsy
    12. North game no idea
    13. Adelaide game Talia started high
    14. Dee's game Jones started well high
    15. Dee's game Bugg started high

When I say he drops I mean he lowers his body just that little bit which causes it to go around his neck instead of borderline shoulder. He really plays up the contact which explains why he looks like he is getting beheaded in half of them, which i understand opposition fans hating.

So i have him creating 4 of the 12 free's you can actually see on that video, with another borderline one. He does play very low to the ground, he has low hips and tends to be angled meaning players are usually coming in from above and at short notice. He doesn't dive but he does make it very hard to tackle him without conceding a free.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Toby McLean is no stranger to adversity and it is driving him to AFL success

TOBY McLean was red in the face, exhausted by hard running.
    He’d just completed a 3km time trial during the Dandenong Stingrays’ pre-season.
    Soon after finishing he was dragged to the side of the oval and unceremoniously cut from the squad.

McLean was red in the face again, this time with devastation and a lasting bitterness.
    Talent manager Mark Wheeler said McLean’s fitness levels were “miles off ”, his defensive game was poor and the Stingrays wanted to give selection preference to Jack Lonie and Bailey Dale.

No stranger to adversity, McLean embodies the resilience that has powered the Bulldogs in September.

When McLean was 12, he and his older brother played in premierships — Toby for Mossgiel Park and Sam for Narre Warren North Foxes.

Not long after and their father, Ian McLean, died of skin cancer, aged 43.

It was a short battle with melanoma — about 12 months — and it shattered the family, as well as the local community.
    Saturday, McLean, 20, will step on to the MCG for a Grand Final in just his 19th game with one wish in mind.

“If my dad was still alive, I hope he’d be proud of me,” he said.

If my dad was still alive, I hope he’d be proud of me.
    The Narre Warren boy presents as a sensitive soul, a quiet achiever around Whitten Oval.

But beneath the surface he’s a fighter. It might be tender Toby, but it’s also tough Toby, evidenced by his animal-like final quarter against GWS.

“It (Ian’s death) changed my life quite dramatically,” McLean said.

“You go from having two parents, happy family, and then …

“Not all of us dealt with it very well. My sister dealt with it pretty harshly, she was the youngest out of everyone, so she didn’t really know what to do.

“A bit like myself, I was only 12. But mum (Heather) was pretty good, she was quite strong.

“She’s had to do a lot of both sides of the parenting. I really look up to my mum.”

There were tears for weeks, and a holiday with Ian’s sister as the grieving family sought a distraction.

Saturday, the south-east community - which howled in disapproval at Toby’s Stingrays axing - will be thinking about McLean, the son of a local legend.

According to Ian’s obituary in the Dandenong Leader, he was a fine athlete, a good cricketer, a gun footballer, a keen golfer and a champion fellow.

His two footy clubs, Keysborough and Rythdale-Officer Cardinia, now play for the Ian McLean Memorial Shield.

Ian owned a menacing - but fair - hip-and-shoulder and, like Toby, could leap high for a mark.

“Not as high as me!” Toby quips, “but there’s a few photos I’ve seen of him taking pack marks.

“I didn’t get to watch my dad play a lot, because he died when I was quite young, but I hear from a lot of people that he was a great player.

“We’re quite different. He was a bigger man, my brother’s got more of his stature.”

Heather was a netballer with a nice jump and Toby, blessed with plenty of talent, has made a habit of standing out.
    After the Dandenong rejection, he shone with 58 goals for Narre Warren.

In 2014, he asked for a go at Oakleigh Chargers, with the help of local coach Dean Irwin.

McLean rocked up to his first Chargers session in a Stingrays singlet and was promptly nicknamed ‘Stingray’.
    He couldn’t help standing out, and a change of clothes wasn’t going to help.

“We quickly got him some Chargers gear, and then he stood out with his training,” Oakleigh Chargers coach Michael Stinear said.

From the first game he played for Oakleigh, where they didn’t have his number in the record, he stood out with his footy smarts.

“His athleticism, the way he moves and his decision-making — he was one step ahead of everyone else.”
    It was a similar story when Dogs recruiter Simon Dalrymple locked eyes on the wiry teenager.

“From the first game he played for Oakleigh, where they didn’t have his number in the record, he stood out with his footy smarts,” Dalrymple said.

“He’s got the ability to win the ball in the air, at ground level and he’s got some cunning about him in the way he makes decisions and really good game sense.”

A video of McLean taking a goalline hanger went viral in 2014 and was aired on The Footy Show.
    During a Chargers bye, McLean returned to the Narre seniors and slotted eight goals.

McLean’s final stage to show off was the TAC Cup Grand Final - where he won the medal for best afield.
    “I guess (the medal) sort of shows the talent manager over there (Dandenong) doesn’t really know what he’s doing, does he?” McLean said.

“And I’m happy to say that. They had no belief or faith in me.”
    Stinear and Wheeler agree the Dandenong cull was the spur McLean needed, and he was drafted from Oakleigh at No.26 — before any Stingray.

The Dogs can't drop Toby McLean for Lin Jong. He has been amazing in the finals. So it's Jong, Fletcher Roberts or Suckling. Am I right?
    It was the Dogs’ first pick and it’s proved a popular one at the kennel, McLean inheriting ex-captain Ryan Griffen’s No.16.

“Elite hops” is how Johannisen describes McLean’s penchant for high marks.
    “He’s going to be a pretty special player,” finals star Clay Smith says.

“He’s lightly built, but he can jump in the air and he’s just got that little bit of X-factor about him.”

Dale Morris says McLean is “a little ripper” — and much more than a flashy forward.
    “He’s got super talent. He can jump on someone’s head and take a mark, but he doesn’t mind getting his hands dirty and laying those hard tackles and doing the tough things.”

McLean spends two nights a week living with Morris, 33, and the veteran loves it because he gets a free babysitter.
    “My eldest, Riley, wants to copy his hairstyle. He’s got this whisp thing going on, and he doesn’t want to copy his old man — he’s all over Toby.”

Riley might have cottoned on, but Smith won’t be copying McLean.
    “He tends to get around in trackies and thongs. Not even thongs, like little sandal things with velcro over the top of the feet,” Smith said.

“And his taste in music isn’t the greatest. I remember him putting up a photo of a Sam Smith album on Instagram and had a good laugh.”

Both are hoping to unite their styles on Saturday night - belting out ‘Sons of the West’ and sporting some new gold bling around their necks as the Dogs chase their first flag in 62 years.

And Ian McLean would be front and centre in his son’s mind.

“I think about him after games,” McLean said.
    “I get a lot of family saying he would be proud. And that means quite a bit.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We are all really proud of Toby.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What an absolute Ripper!

Post Thanks / Like

I hope the stingrays took their recruiter to the side of the oval and unceremoniously sacked him after Toby got BOG in the TAC grand final and the picked up before any Dandenong player.

I love this kid and think he might be little better known after today in the GF.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    I hope the stingrays took their recruiter to the side of the oval and unceremoniously sacked him after Toby got BOG in the TAC grand final and the picked up before any Dandenong player.

I love this kid and think he might be little better known after today in the GF.
    Yow would have to this it was the coach who cut him from the list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Great goal & 3 free kicks yesterday.

His season for frees: 32 for, 5 against. Net +27 free kicks.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Great goal & 3 free kicks yesterday.

His season for frees: 32 for, 5 against. Net +27 free kicks.
    Has a unique and legal skill that we've exploited and it's helped us secure a flag.

One of my absolute favourites and will only get better.

10. Likes bulldogtragic, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How classy was his gather and snap for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he will get better and become a nice outside spread type player for us. Can still win the hard ball and not afraid to go when its his turn, but his ability to get away from a contest is great.

Post Thanks / Like

His overhead marking is going to be huge when he gets stronger especially in pack situations.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait for him to take a Pickenesque grab. We would be wrapt to recruit him in any era but he was born to fit into this team.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Love Toby, all guts.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

TM has a 15-4 record in his 19 games. No Dog in history has a better win rate.

17. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MAGIC!

I'm probably going to get a 38 on the premiership jumper, but geez, I'm tempted to get a 16. Love the kid and he's only going to get better.

His drawing of the free kick to end the GF was the sweetest icing on the most delicious cake ever, as anyone who knows me knows that there is nothing I enjoy more than a Toby high tackle free.