Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  205
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Toby McLean

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on Toby McLean and where he's at heading into 2023.

He's been robbed of the last few years due to significant injury but he got continuity in the latter stages of the year which was capped off with finals selection.

Can he return back to his best? Can he force his way into our best 22? What role is he best suited to?
    I'm quite hopeful that McLean can re-establish himself in the team as a forward flanker who can take some spells in the midfield now that Dunkley is going. Not sure he can get back to his best but he as the ability to hold his spot.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Swoop, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on Toby McLean and where he's at heading into 2023.

He's been robbed of the last few years due to significant injury but he got continuity in the latter stages of the year which was capped off with finals selection.

Can he return back to his best? Can he force his way into our best 22? What role is he best suited to?
    I've been vocal and very bullish about McLean having the ability to become our George Hewitt defensive-minded mid, and his performance in the EF did noting to quell my enthusiasm. He was quite outstanding considering he came into a final completely cold and off the back of no AFL football.

We desperately need to get the attack/defensive midfield mix right (truth be told, we needed to do it 12 months earlier after the 2021 GF). We can't have our mids all going bees to the honeypot, and McLean has the ability and smarts to be able to provide the necessary defensive cover at stoppages, which we will need as we appear to be continuing to prioritise English as our no 1 ruck.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

He showed early in the final he can accumulate and be impactful at AFL level. Just needs continuity.

I’d be backing him in to take a large number of Dunks’ midfield minutes.

5. Likes josie, WBFC4FFC, Sedat, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I've been vocal and very bullish about McLean having the ability to become our George Hewitt defensive-minded mid, and his performance in the EF did noting to quell my enthusiasm. He was quite outstanding considering he came into a final completely cold and off the back of no AFL football.

We desperately need to get the attack/defensive midfield mix right (truth be told, we needed to do it 12 months earlier after the 2021 GF). We can't have our mids all going bees to the honeypot, and McLean has the ability and smarts to be able to provide the necessary defensive cover at stoppages, which we will need as we appear to be continuing to prioritise English as our no 1 ruck.
    Can't agree with this more. Quality player who belongs at the top level and has the hard nose that a lot of our players are lacking, despite looking like Tim Chalamet.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

This.

McLean is so underrated. Two years of significant injury will do that to you, but he's such a savvy, clever player who knows his game well and understands the dynamics of a team. His ability to position himself at stoppage is actually bloody good - his efforts deep in the '16 PF still go unnoticed, and his effort in Q1 vs Freo EF were outstanding.

He's hard at it and team first, we're desperate for him to remain fit and healthy.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree TBB, Maclean in PF was excellent. His work on ball around ground was outstanding. He was brave, feisty and team first oriented. Hope his bad luck with injuries is over. If he can return 70 to 80% of what he was prior to the Acl’s he’ll be great for us.

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quality player, we really need him to continue with his successful (to date) reintroduction to senior footy. It looked to me like he has changed his game a little, looked to have gained strength in his upper body and was playing inside more.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

12. Likes GVGjr, azabob, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has to be close to a lock for our most improved player next year.
    A full pre-season to get more confidence in his body, as most players simply don't have it post-ACL until they have significant game time under their belt.
    Genuine forward nous which means he can play that 50/50 role we need. I'm pretty bullish on his output and comparing his 2018 season with Dunkley they are actually comparable.
    We all may have forgotten just what Toby can offer and I'm as excited about a fit McLean in 2023 as I am about any player on our list (I almost started a new thread about him).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    A full pre-season to get more confidence in his body, as most players simply don't have it post-ACL until they have significant game time under their belt.
    Genuine forward nous which means he can play that 50/50 role we need. I'm pretty bullish on his output and comparing his 2018 season with Dunkley they are actually comparable.
    We all may have forgotten just what Toby can offer and I'm as excited about a fit McLean in 2023 as I am about any player on our list (I almost started a new thread about him).
    I'm holding high hopes for Toby Mac. He just needs to stay injury free.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Good call. He will be 27 at the start of next year, so should be at his peak.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Missing 2 years has been a big blow to us, and to him, given 25+ is generally a player's peak.

Let's hope he gets a good run at it - he has everything else.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Worth having a look at how many times McLean gets his hands on the ball in the last quarter of 2016 prelim final against GWS - it was an underrated brilliant performance by young Toby.

Really hope he gets a good run at - quality player and person

18. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'm going to go and cry for a bit. BRB.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of Toby and we are a much better team with him in it. I really hope that he plays 25 games next year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

21. Likes F'scary, WBFC4FFC, macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premiership Bulldog McLean departs Kennel

Premiership Western Bulldog Toby McLean has been advised that he will not be offered a contract for the 2024 season.

Premiership Western Bulldog Toby McLean has been advised that he will not be offered a contract for the 2024 season.

The 27-year-old played 102 games over nine seasons after being drafted at Pick 26 in the 2014 National Draft.

McLean played a pivotal role in the 2016 Premiership triumph, collecting 18 touches and kicking a goal in the historic victory.

The midfielder faced plenty of adversity throughout his career, suffering two ACL injuries across three seasons, before returning for the Elimination Final loss to Fremantle last season.

McLean managed six AFL games this season, while being an integral part of Footscray?s push to a semi-final appearance in the VFL.

Bulldogs? General Manager of List and Recruiting Sam Power thanked McLean for his contribution over nearly a decade at the Kennel.

?Toby has been a heart and soul player for the Western Bulldogs over a long period and will always be remembered for playing a role in the 2016 Premiership victory.

?A very popular team man, Toby went out of his way to help all his teammates and would play selfless roles for the team on the field.?

?Given the outcomes of the trade period to date and the future direction of the list, we?ve decided to make this further change now,? Power said.

?We wish Toby all the best with his future endeavours and he?ll always be welcome back at VU Whitten Oval.?

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...ou-toby-mclean

23. Thanks bornadog, josie, Eastdog thanked for this post