Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  118
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welcome to the WBFC - Caleb Daniel

No reason he can't be an Eagleton style player. "Just get the ball to him, and we retain the ball" great line from Dal. Can see him running up and down the wing to start. I do think in time he will become an extractor for us an the centre.

Post Thanks / Like

Loved the footage on YouTube from his SA U18 games. Welcome aboard Caleb, I'll be one of many Bulldog supporters barracking hard for you.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Given his skills and decision making, Caleb's two main issues will be how does he get enough of the ball at AFL level to be damaging and how does he minimise his opponent's impact when we don't have the ball?
    He will get the ball - of that I have no doubt. Preventing him from being killed once he gets it will be an interesting challenge...he is not quick by foot. Defensively? Well, let's just say that Hawthorn often played a loose man behind the ball and we probably will as welll now
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

He puts a new meaning to the nickname from the past - Shorty Daniels.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Loved the footage on YouTube from his SA U18 games. Welcome aboard Caleb, I'll be one of many Bulldog supporters barracking hard for you.
    I liked his ball handling. No fumbles. The way he immediately transfers the ball to one hand, then the other as he sizes up options - you can't teach that sort of skill. The way he can switch in a blink from a handballing stance to disposing accurately by foot and with penetration - you can't teach that. The footage shows he has a very clear idea where the players are as he goes for the ball and picks it up or receives - you can't teach that.

He was our last pick but to me sums up what Dal & co were trying to achieve with all our picks. Football ability over size and sheer athleticism.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Thanks heaps for posting this one. Didn't really dawn on me how fantastic this kid looks until I realised it's the highlights from one match. Damn.

Going early I know, but looks Scott West-like with that handball, very quick, very effective.

8. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Given his skills and decision making, Caleb's two main issues will be how does he get enough of the ball at AFL level to be damaging and how does he minimise his opponent's impact when we don't have the ball?

In terms of spread and footskills, he certainly matches those criteria better than just about anyone, we just need to find ways to get the ball in his hands.
    He's a high production player in the current parlance. That 16 beep test means he stays involved more than anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Thanks heaps for posting this one. Didn't really dawn on me how fantastic this kid looks until I realised it's the highlights from one match. Damn.

Going early I know, but looks Scott West-like with that handball, very quick, very effective.
    That video is all his involvements in the televised U/18 champs games, not highlights. I think there are 2 clangers in 9 minutes.

He's got that short player's ability to change direction and to get it on his foot quickly. He'll be tough to tackle, because he is highly evasive and can get it off quickly, and because of his height. A bit like Gary Ablett Jr, where he ends up just getting corralled.

There are benefits to being short, it's not all downside.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

l really like the look of this kid. Hopefully he can surprise a few experts who wrote him off due to his size.

11. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That footage from the champs is super impressive, a little Sammy Mitchell esk for mine. I'm surprised he can kick 50m and with accuracy but one things for sure he will leave all the nightmares of signing Hooper on a 2 year deal after showing 0 talent for dead!

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou for posting boydogs, I feel a lot better about this selection after watching this video.
    His highlight package showed he could not kick over a jam tin but in reality he can kick from 50.
    Welcome to the Doggies Daniel.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

14. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Thankyou for posting boydogs, I feel a lot better about this selection after watching this video.
    His highlight package showed he could not kick over a jam tin but in reality he can kick from 50.
    Welcome to the Doggies Daniel.
    I think Daniel is the centrepiece of the Great SA Oversight 2014™

They dominated the U/18 national champs but only had 1 player selected in the top 33 (Durdin). Someone must have got them over the line! Recruiters seemed to write them off as being led by midgets Johansen and Daniel who wouldn't make it at AFL level.

Hamilton was noted as their 3rd best prospect too

http://indaily.com.au/sport/2014/11/...aft-prospects/
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

16. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Daniel is the centrepiece of the Great SA Oversight 2014™

They dominated the U/18 national champs but only had 1 player selected in the top 33 (Durdin). Someone must have got them over the line! Recruiters seemed to write them off as being led by midgets Johansen and Daniel who wouldn't make it at AFL level.

Hamilton was noted as their 3rd best prospect too

http://indaily.com.au/sport/2014/11/...aft-prospects/
    I have it on very good authority that for presumably financial purposes, the dogs recruiting in South Australia was on a restricted basis this season.

And For personal reasons I really don't rate the opinions of the author of the article you quoted

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I have it on very good authority that for presumably financial purposes, the dogs recruiting in South Australia was on a restricted basis this season.

And For personal reasons I really don't rate the opinions of the author of the article you quoted
    What a strange article (in the InDaily). We should be surprised that SA guys not drafted, but it's totally understandable, but they should all be drafted, but they're not certainties, but… just an all-over-the-place article that drops heaps of names but little real insight into why the SA guys have been assessed as they were. Is it a case of clubs not having the cash to do it properly, a fear of go-home factors, a combination of things?

I'll just stick to reading throughandthrough's posts for my SA football knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post

So how do you think we went with picking up SA players?

I think we did really well getting Daniel with our last pick, not sure about Hamilton over Neal-Bullen at 39 but glad we picked up 2 of them

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

So how do you think we went with picking up SA players?

I think we did really well getting Daniel with our last pick, not sure about Hamilton over Neal-Bullen at 39 but glad we picked up 2 of them
    Dunno, ask me again in 5 years

I'm happy we took a shot at Caleb, he's very highly rated amongst his peers.

I was hoping for ANB, but the story with him going to Melbourne with his great mate Stretch is such a good one.

Here's a photo I took that's been in heavy rotation on social media this week.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3893/...75e795b1da.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

21. Thanks boydogs thanked for this post
    Likes Maddog37 liked this post