Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Day 2014: First Impressions.

It's very early. Very!

But how did you think we went?
    Did we cover our positional needs?
    Any player excite you more than any others?
    What's your initial impression? How do you think we went out of 10?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draft Day 2014: First Impressions.

Small.

Look like good users, some run, goal kicking nouse. All good things. But if our window is 4 or 5 years then we needed to invest in a tall now. Otherwise, we will have to look at trade and FA to get them. I thought we may have gone a ruck, perhaps Cripps in the rookie draft unless he's like his brother with home sickness. I hope we don't regret Foster.

I think 7.5/10.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I give it a 8.5.

Compliments our list and needs nicely.

Well done Simon and his team.

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Without any disrespect to our draftees, whom I wish nothing but success with us, I just don't get why we've gone so small. Hope we are not getting ourselves in a bind in terms of list balance down the track.
    I hope we missed on Foster because we really didn't rate him, as opposed to being too smart for our own good thinking he would fall to us in the rookie draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it is early and hard to say but my understanding is that our approach to this draft was best available talent so hopefully we have achieved this as needs has not worked for us in the past. I also have a hunch that we will rookie list Jayden Foster, watch this space..

Post Thanks / Like

I've previously mentioned we needed a bit of a mixture and I'm a bit surprised we didn't add a tall given the profile of the playing list before tonight.

I can't rate our effort yet but I think we followed the game plan we went into the night with.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Like the first 3 picks, not sure about the second two. Not due to their ability but the lack of variety in terms of positional styles. Would have likes a kp or a ruckman at least
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxson42 View Post
    Yes it is early and hard to say but my understanding that our approach to this draft was best available talent so hopefully we have achieved this as needs has not worked for us in the past. I also have a hunch that we will rookie list Jayden Foster, watch this space..
    Foster is a Carlton player now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxson42 View Post
    Yes it is early and hard to say but my understanding is that our approach to this draft was best available talent so hopefully we have achieved this as needs has not worked for us in the past. I also have a hunch that we will rookie list Jayden Foster, watch this space..
    Carlton won't delist him before the season starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to say.

7.5 seems about right given the picks that we had. No notable slider got to 27/28 but I like both McLean and Webb. Hamilton and Dale look like good selections. Daniel can play but there's obvious height concerns.

We still have massive issues in defense.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Foster is a Carlton player now.
    Scheisse, I missed that. Got chatting on fb halfway through. Cheers Bulldogtragic, now I am pissed..

Post Thanks / Like

Have to take into perspective Griff, Cooney, Tutt and Higgins are all going out, we're losing a fair bit of outside run there. In saying that I would've liked a Blakely inside type and a key position player. I'm looking forward to our kicking improving rather rapidly

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't rate it. I know very little about most of the players drafted tonight just what I read. Am I happy? Not really? I think we're putting far to much faith in guys like Roberts, Talia and a delisted player in Hamling to cover our horrid back line. I'd be lying if I said I was not concerned.

16. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems as though we've taken two small live wires in Caleb Daniel and Toby McLean, then three clever, composed ball users in Bailey Dale, Declan Hamilton and Lukas Webb. The kicking skills stand out with all five. It would be nice to get a bit of tall timber in there to balance things out, but then again how does a mosquito fleet of Dahlhaus, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Hunter, McLean and Daniel sound? I like that Dalrymple isn't afraid to pick the smaller guys if they're the best available.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

18. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon has form rating the smaller blokes.

The fact is, we're likely to have an early pick next year which is where we'll be best poised to add a genuine key defender.

We have need some run and skill for a while, and this draft should hold us in good stead.