Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  37
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draft Day 2014: First Impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Is McDonald that highly touted ? He did go pick 53. We were linked with highly touted key backs that went before our pick.
    Lake was #71, Morris was a rookie, Roberts a PSD pick.
    Key Backs are almost like ruckman in that they can be selected late. I really hope we rookie one of the guys that are left
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Key Backs are almost like ruckman in that they can be selected late. I really hope we rookie one of the guys that are left
    Who is the last really good one, selected that late?

I look at the current batch of quality key defenders such as D Talia, E McKenzie, etc and they seem to have been earlier picks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm terrified about how much faith our list managers are putting into this selection. Both interviews they referred to Hamling and it's like they're ticking off the need for a KPD. I know they've got to talk up everything they do but it has me concerned. We've got Dale Morris down back as our only proven defender, that's it. How much time as he got left in him? There is far too much faith put on the shoulders of the unproven, we're going to get eaten alive down back.
    How would our draft approach have changed that though? By the time we made our first pick, the top level key defenders were off the board. The ones we had access to would have largely been as speculative as Hamling and certainly no guarantee to help in the next 2-3 years. We traded our first pick to fill a long standing key forward hole, Hamling is probably as likely to be an AFL key defender as anyone picked after pick 26. Howe and McDonald are about the only ones with size who fit in with what we needed anyway. Vickers-Willis is basically Z.Cordy from what I can see but shorter. Plus there are still a couple of potential development options available in the Rookie Draft.
    Would I have preferred we picked up a tall defender type? Sure. But if we didn't value any of the available options then I've got no problem with us picking the players we rated. Hamling is more chance of effecting our backline next year than a first year draftee would have been. We have no choice but to roll with Roberts, Hamling et al next year. It's a hole in our list for sure but one thing Beveridge has managed in the past is patching together back lines who cover for each other and play stronger than the individual parts so I think there is some hope there. The irony of course is that everyone was threatening to tear the place down with the offer to Tom Lonergan, yet this is precisely the short term gap he would have filled.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

4. Likes F'scary, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have taken a punt on at least one of them and we still may come Rookie Draft so it could be a moot point. Our backline seems a real mess and if Robert and Talia don't take off we're are in serious trouble. (I don't hold much faith in Hamling) It will be the complete opposite of our team that were in the prelims. This time we'll have a big forward but our backline will be missing that good big man. It's a genuine concern.

Then there is our ruck stocks. Minson is still there, Campbell is a nice replacement and there is Cordy who is still a big maybe. Another ruck prospect to back them up would have been nice as well. I was really disappointed we passed on Dear for that role. I do like the look of the big lad at Footscray and wouldn't mind a punt on him in the rookie draft.

I was against throwing so much at Lonergan, that was ludicrous! I did understand why we'd want to go that way. I was advocating for big sauce from Brisbane to be that guy to fill the gap.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have taken a punt on at least one of them and we still may come Rookie Draft so it could be a moot point. Our backline seems a real mess and if Robert and Talia don't take off we're are in serious trouble. (I don't hold much faith in Hamling) It will be the complete opposite of our team that were in the prelims. This time we'll have a big forward but our backline will be missing that good big man. It's a genuine concern.

Then there is our ruck stocks. Minson is still there, Campbell is a nice replacement and there is Cordy who is still a big maybe. Another ruck prospect to back them up would have been nice as well. I was really disappointed we passed on Dear for that role. I do like the look of the big lad at Footscray and wouldn't mind a punt on him in the rookie draft.

I was against throwing so much at Lonergan, that was ludicrous! I did understand why we'd want to go that way. I was advocating for big sauce from Brisbane to be that guy to fill the gap.
    I think it would be a wise move in more way than one. If we can find rookie talent through Footscray and with luck claim some gems it would show to other players that got over looked that the AFL sides with their own team could be a viable option to get another crack. Closer scrutiny by the power that make the decisions. Also reward for effort. Come play for us and you may get a chance to live your dream if you can work hard enough.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I was against throwing so much at Lonergan, that was ludicrous! .
    That would have been the most stupid thing we would have done since the Howard pick. Stupid as in the money that was being bandied around.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Who is the last really good one, selected that late?

I look at the current batch of quality key defenders such as D Talia, E McKenzie, etc and they seem to have been earlier picks.
    This is all the key defenders that played 18+ games in 2014

Ted Richards - #27 2000
    Tom Lonergan - #23 2002 / Rookie #50 2006
    Jared Rivers - #26 2002
    Daniel Merrett - #30 2002
    Troy Chaplin - #15 2003
    Zac Dawson - #41 2003 / Rookie #13 2009 / PSD #10 2012
    Dale Morris - Rookie #19 2005
    Lachie Hansen - #3 2006
    James Frawley - #12 2006
    Mitch Brown WCE - #16 2006
    Eric McKenzie - #29 2006
    Jack Grimes - #14 2007
    Harry Taylor - #17 2007
    Scott Thompson - #37 2007
    Cale Hooker - #54 2007
    Daniel Talia - #13 2009
    Luke Delaney - Rookie #26 2009
    Lachlan Keeffe - Rookie #69 2009
    Steven May - Zone Selection 2009
    Rory Thopson - Zone Selection 2009
    Tom McDonald - #53 2010
    Justin Clarke - Rookie #4 2012
    Jack Frost - Rookie #41 2013
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

9. Thanks ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    True, but Theres been a truckload that haven't made it in that vicinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Hamling will be awesome. Hard worker, athletic, 3 years in the system with Geelong...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

12. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Hamling will be awesome. Hard worker, athletic, 3 years in the system with Geelong...
    Do you see him filling a KP role mjp?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    But doesn't look like he could bench press his own body weight. Do you think he is ever going to be able to compete with the genuine key forward types in the AFL?

He looks to me at best a third tall.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

EQ writes

The quirky Toby McLean owning one of the most watchable highlights packages in the draft. Caleb Daniel couldn't have played any better than he did this year, and gets the chance to prove that, at 168 centimetres, he can find a way at the next level.

Caleb Daniel's highlight reel is infinitely better. Could not have played better is an understatement. What a ripper. Shades of Shaun Hart with the helmet. Rapt to have this kid and don't think height will be an issue at all. Imagine him and Luke Dahlhaus hunting the packs. Welcome Caleb.

You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Do we see Daniel as a forward or a mid? Im assuming he is a pure mid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    It will take a little while before he is a pure mid.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    I think he will have a career similar to Gary Ablett Jr's, start as a forward and move into the midfield after muscling up a bit
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff