Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  37
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Draft Day 2014: First Impressions.

Still very early days, but given how Talia has started the year and how Fletch handled himself on Saturday, along with Hamling having a solid start to his Dogs career (albeit, not in the senior side as yet) and Z Cordy still to come, are we all feeling a little bit better about our approach to the 2014 draft?

The Doc's List Management thread has certainly highlighted we still have some gaps on our list, however they're shrinking and the quality of our list appears to be improving fast (as it does when you're winning).

Webb has demonstrated enough skills to make it, Daniel was the most impressive over the pre-season and it seems Dale is kicking the door down at VFL level, with McLean and Hamilton, who I think Dalrymple rated very highly, possibly with a little more development to be done but have also shown flashes.

Interesting how much can change and how quickly it does, in this game. Soon enough I may have to lift my early rating of the draft in page one of this thread from 8.5 to 9+

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was pretty happy with the draft because of how it fitted in with the entire recruiting campaign, including the two rookie promotions. I don't think we recruited too small, we got a range of players from the very tall and heavy (T Boyd) to the very small and agile (Caleb Daniel). There was a clear emphasis on flexibility in terms of where they can play, an emphasis on natural football skills and on natural stamina.

A ruckman and a star CHF would have been nice but you can't solve all your needs in one go when you were where we were at the time.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

We really should have drafted, or rookied another ruckman, otherwise, I am happy with the drafting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    We really should have drafted, or rookied another ruckman, otherwise, I am happy with the drafting.
    I'm happy not to draft ruckmen given they usually take until their mid 20s to mature. Maybe rookie, but I'd prefer to raid other clubs and get a ruckman via free agency.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm happy not to draft ruckmen given they usually take until their mid 20s to mature. Maybe rookie, but I'd prefer to raid other clubs and get a ruckman via free agency.
    Fine, but what if one is not available? You need to do both, or have a strategy to do both. A mature rookie playing in the VFL is also a possible. Unfortunately we didn't do anything at all.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine, but what if one is not available? You need to do both, or have a strategy to do both. A mature rookie playing in the VFL is also a possible. Unfortunately we didn't do anything at all.
    Its a fair point but was there a decent ruckman available last year?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Its a fair point but was there a decent ruckman available last year?
    Should we have rookied Darcy Fort?

Post Thanks / Like

At this rate Dalrymple and McCartney are looking like getting statues of them made next to EJ out front.
    Some great drafting and list management has seen us improve very quickly and last years draft picks look to all be of top quality.

You simply have got to nail your early draft picks at any draft and we are doing that and more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    At this rate Dalrymple and McCartney are looking like getting statues of them made next to EJ out front.
    Some great drafting and list management has seen us improve very quickly and last years draft picks look to all be of top quality.

You simply have got to nail your early draft picks at any draft and we are doing that and more.
    Lucky we bottomed out and had early draft picks. The draft system is made for rewarding bottom teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Lucky we bottomed out and had early draft picks. The draft system is made for rewarding bottom teams.
    But it counts for nothing if you don't get your picks right and then develop them well. Nothing lucky about that.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    But it counts for nothing if you don't get your picks right and then develop them well. Nothing lucky about that.
    Exactly. We pissed them up against a wall previously with the likes of Walsh, Williams, Grant etc. Early picks mean nothing if you miss the mark on draft day.

We're still lacking a key defender with pace, another developing key forward, and a ruckman. We can't have another draft of munchkins, our VFL team is scarily small.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne have had better draft picks than us in recent seasons and we're miles ahead of them. They've had picks before our picks of Macrae, Stringer & Bontempelli and they got a free pass with Viney in the 2nd round
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Melbourne have had better draft picks than us in recent seasons and we're miles ahead of them. They've had picks before our picks of Macrae, Stringer & Bontempelli and they got a free pass with Viney in the 2nd round
    Ok, put it this way, having early draft picks goes a long way to getting a better player than late picks. Of course you can still stuff it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    our VFL team is scarily small.
    Really noticeable isn't it. Jordan Russell and Roarke Smith have both had to play tall this year. Hamling is pretty much our only genuine tall playing twos at the moment. This obviously evens out once Zaine is back from injury and to a lesser extent Jordan Kelly.

Just on the calls for Darcy Fort being rookie listed, are we not saving a spot on our list by effectively keeping him on Footscrays list. It's not as if we have lost him to another team and he gets an understanding of playing the bulldogs way at VFL level. He also couldn't get a game this week with Minson and Campbell playing VFL, so maybe our list is balanced in regards to Rucks.

I liked our 2014, we brought in good users of the footy and if you watch Footscray you get a sense of that.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    We're still lacking a key defender with pace, another developing key forward, and a ruckman. We can't have another draft of munchkins, our VFL team is scarily small.
    I think we can solve two problems by bringing in a genuine key defender, as it will allow Roughy to play as a ruckman and help out wherever is required across the ground.

#getcarlisle
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.