Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

2015 East Meets West Family Day

Was wondering if any woofers might know what date this will be on.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 East Meets West Family Day

I'm a former EWC Committee member and when we have organised this event in the past, we have been subject to the training regime of the club for the month of January. Given the new coach and other changes late this year, I suspect the current Committee is negotiating a date at present. The most recent edition of Kennel Kapers (Nov edition) was silent. It was usual for us to send a special edition out in late Dec/early Jan with details. I suspect it is a case of watch this space.....
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

3. Thanks Cyberdoggie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope they can get this day back to its old format with the full squad attending and completing a light training run. Last year's was really disappointing with far less players and a non-descript junior clinic conducted. It went from being a great day to one which I might not even attend in future, which would be a shame as it's a great marketing opportunity for supporters in the East.

After the recent off field turmoil I reckon days like this are critical to reinforce the club/fan connection. Imperative that the club shows off the blokes supporters are pinning their hopes on.....Tommy Boyd, Stringer, Bonts, McCrae, Libba and of course the new coach and captain.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2013 the football club changed the format to deal with the number of appearances players are allowed to make per year. Agree it is a great marketing opportunity and is the primary motive of the EWC Commiittee.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Smads57. Ill just keep a look out for the date. If its between the 19th and 26th of Jan then wont be able to make it as ill be overseas. Yes agree that this is a great way to spread our club in the southern and eastern suburbs where its quite a big area which is bound to have Doggie fans there. For Nothern suburbs Dogs fans your relatively close to the Whitten Oval still.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Thanks for the info Smads57. Ill just keep a look out for the date. If its between the 19th and 26th of Jan then wont be able to make it as ill be overseas. Yes agree that this is a great way to spread our club in the southern and eastern suburbs where its quite a big area which is bound to have Doggie fans there. For Nothern suburbs Dogs fans your relatively close to the Whitten Oval still.
    Got a whisper today the likely date will be 14 Feb so you should be back in time Eastdog. If I hear anything further this week, I'll post.

8. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Got a whisper today the likely date will be 14 Feb so you should be back in time Eastdog. If I hear anything further this week, I'll post.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to the EWC president at Inside the Kennel function this evening who advised the likely dates at this stage are 7 or 14 Feb with the event to be held at the WO as part of their normal Saturday morning training schedule (8.30-10am)

This represents a major change of venue from Wesley College, but a possible return to having all players in attendance.

The Committee is still negotiating with the football club what the day will look like.

11. Thanks boydogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to the EWC president at Inside the Kennel function this evening who advised the likely dates at this stage are 7 or 14 Feb with the event to be held at the WO as part of their normal Saturday morning training schedule (8.30-10am)

This represents a major change of venue from Wesley College, but a possible return to having all players in attendance.

The Committee is still negotiating with the football club what the day will look like.
    I thought having it in the East was all part of giving something to supporters out that way. Having it at the WO is just not what the East/west cub is all about, its just another training day.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They should have it at one of the grounds at Casey Fields, then its only a 10min trip for me.

Post Thanks / Like

That is very disappointing and if true I won't bother going.
    I thought it was about giving something to the people out East.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wannaknowmore View Post
    That is very disappointing and if true I won't bother going.
    I thought it was about giving something to the people out East.
    Ditto. I enjoyed going to these, but won't be going across town if this goes ahead. Very disappointed.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Ditto. I enjoyed going to these, but won't be going across town if this goes ahead. Very disappointed.
    Same with me. I travel from Rosebud to the East West day but may as well wait for the Big Family Day at Whitten Oval. Seems like just another version of the main family day.

Post Thanks / Like

Without taking sides.....

Its important for the EWC to retain its relevance as a Supporter group representing the East/Sth East, and that events it organises (with the football club's permission) attract Bulldog supporters. A fall away in numbers may mean losing the option of running this event and the annual Legends and Young Guns Dinner at Mulgrave where players and football staff are also present.

It is the intention of the Committee to make the best of the changed venue decision, and determinedly make it worthwhile for EWC members to come along.

Can I suggest that supporters in the East/Sth East might like to see what the full offering is before making their final attendance decision.

Anything further I can learn about the day, I will post in this thread.

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm willing to hear what the full proposal is before deciding whether to attend or not....but I can't imagine what would convince me to travel across town to the Whitten Oval for an East West family day. The big draw card was being able to get close to players without having to travel to the other side of the city and compete with a big crowd. Holding it at the Whitten a Oval would be a big step backwards and very short sighted. What's next.....young guns dinner at Maribyrnong?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

21. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post