Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 East Meets West Family Day

Speaking as someone who has only seen a WB player once in the last 5 years, some of the whining on here sounds a bit precious
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Speaking as someone who has only seen a WB player once in the last 5 years, some of the whining on here sounds a bit precious
    I get why people would be a bit disappointed and why they would want to keep the tradition going but we should wait until we hear something definitive.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm 1st world problems here.
    I don't get the angst

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Hmm 1st world problems here.
    I don't get the angst
    Oh the irony. Someone using the "1st world problems" reference on a football forum.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think people are getting to angry or upset with it. I think there are valid concerns raised.

The key appeal of the East West day has been that it has brought the club out to the East for a day to recognise and interact with the Eastern based supporters. It's easier to get to for us, it's usually more casual and interactive than the proper family day and it surely isn't a particularly huge effort on the clubs behalf to drive over for the day.

I know the commute across the city for the eastern supporters isn't particularly huge, especially compared to country or interstate supporters. But these are the same supporters that do commute across the city to go to the regular family day, or training sessions, or VFL games at Whitten Oval, or Bulldogs shop sales, or club functions.

This is the only event where the club brings itself to us for us, so the idea that the club can't be bothered chucking the footies in the car and driving a bit further for one day is a little disappointing.

I'm happy to wait and see what they actually put in place, maybe they'll run buses across the city or something?

But surely the whole point of an East West day is to bring the West to the East, not just send out an email encouraging us to make the trek across the city again, because the club hasn't got a day to spare.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Thanks always right, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soupaman, we need to hear if this is a one off issue or if the club is backing away from the day. If its the latter, that would be disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I get why people would be a bit disappointed and why they would want to keep the tradition going but we should wait until we hear something definitive.
    I was at training yesterday and heard one of the club's event staff talking to one of the EW group about how the event will work and showing her around the ground and highlighting what other groups do.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    But surely the whole point of an East West day is to bring the West to the East, not just send out an email encouraging us to make the trek across the city again, because the club hasn't got a day to spare.
    We're the Western Bulldogs, realistically if we're going to hit the road for a day it should be to Ballarat not Glen Waverley
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

We're the Western Bulldogs, realistically if we're going to hit the road for a day it should be to Ballarat not Glen Waverley
    Obviously. But would you hold your Ballarat family day at Whitten Oval?

I'm hopeful and optimistic that what they come up with is good, it just doesn't name a whole lot of sense to me if it's not in the East.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Likes Eastdog, always right, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand that point but I argue that for a smaller club like us we need broaden our appeal more and things like the East West Training day try and help with that. I'm sure we can do a Ballarat visit as well as one out to Glen Waverley.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have an issue with it, it is only one day out of a whole year and it gives an opportunity for kids who may not be able to make it over to the west to meet and spend a couple of minutes with the players.
    If we get a few more members or life long fans then the day is a success.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're located 10 minutes out of the city, so it's not exactly on Mars.
    Saturday morning in January would mean no traffic, so it's pretty minor in the scheme of things.

Post Thanks / Like

We're located 10 minutes out of the city, so it's not exactly on Mars.
    Saturday morning in January would mean no traffic, so it's pretty minor in the scheme of things.
    Have you ever been to the East West day? Just curious.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Have you ever been to the East West day? Just curious.
    No I havent . The point I'm making is that our ground is 10 minutes away from the city, and is it really that big a deal.

Post Thanks / Like

No I havent . The point I'm making is that our ground is 10 minutes away from the city, and is it really that big a deal.
    For a number of years it's been a hugely popular and supported event. You typically meet people that have traveled some distance to get there. The East West club have also done a superb job at organising and hosting the event. They also hold a Legends and Young Guns event at the Mugrave Country Club so have been very committed to the club and I think the East Meets West Day play a good role in the membership drive.

I think many people would believe it's worth fighting for