Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2015 East Meets West Family Day

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    For a number of years it's been a hugely popular and supported event. You typically meet people that have traveled some distance to get there. The East West club have also done a superb job at organising and hosting the event. They also hold a Legends and Young Guns event at the Mugrave Country Club so have been very committed to the club and I think the East Meets West Day play a good role in the membership drive.

I think many people would believe it's worth fighting for
    I get that, but if the club has an East West day at the Whitten oval what's the issue ?
    Melbourne's pretty well connected these days so it's not such a long journey as it once was.
    If people feel so strongly about it they should ask the club contact

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I get that, but if the club has an East West day at the Whitten oval what's the issue ?
    Melbourne's pretty well connected these days so it's not such a long journey as it once was.
    An extra 30 or 40 minutes each way might make the decision to travel that much harder for many. The tradition has been that the event is held in the Eastern Suburbs and it's played a good part in aligning the Eastern based supporters with the club.

As a side note, did you get to watch many games at the Whitten Oval this year?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I actually didn't see any mainly because I was in Europe for a part of the year.

Post Thanks / Like

The issue is that it's called "East-West" for a reason. It gives those of us who don't live ten minutes from the city a chance to see the players, coaches etc up close, without having to travel across town. There are a lot who support it. If it changes to WO, change the name of the event too.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

If it is held at the Whitten Oval then to me its just another day, not East West day.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

No I havent . The point I'm making is that our ground is 10 minutes away from the city, and is it really that big a deal.
    The reason I ask is because for me the distance is the lesser part of the attraction. It has been an event that allows you to get up close and personal with the players which is simply not possible at the main family day at the WO. It gives supporters in the east a unique experience which will be lost if it is held at the WO. If you attended one you might understand.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If it is held at the Whitten Oval then to me its just another day, not East West day.
    That's my biggest issue with it. If it's at Whitten Oval unless there is someone at the door checking peoples addresses to make sure they are from the East how is it an East-West day as opposed to just another family day?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I will be very disappointed if the East-West day isn't held at Wesley. I am always happy to go to the Whitten Oval but that's usually for games etc that start in the afternoon, I would love to be able to go to training but with the early starts its just too hard to get to from the Eastern Suburbs. I don't think the club is doing the right thing on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

The East West Club tweeted the following

Pencil in Saturday 14th February for East Meets West Day. The Mighty Whitten Oval, from 9am-12-Midday. More details to follow

I'm sure there is good reasons for the change but I can imagine some will be disappointed.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The East West Club tweeted the following

Pencil in Saturday 14th February for East Meets West Day. The Mighty Whitten Oval, from 9am-12-Midday. More details to follow

I'm sure there is good reasons for the change but I can imagine some will be disappointed.
    Would be interesting to hear what the East West Club reason was to moving the location. The WO will be hosting the actual WB family day so to me it's funny that the East West Day will be held there as well. We really need to be holding the East West Day for our South Eastern/Eastern suburbs WB supporter base at Wesley College to give them an opportunity to see us in that area and to give us a bit of presence out that way.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

So they have effectively cancelled the East-West family day.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

From East West Newsletter:

EAST MEETS WEST 2015 Saturday 14th February 2015

Due to the October events, the late start to training under Luke Beveridge and the early NAB Cup home match,
    every formal training session is critical for the Bulldogs for our success in 2015 and the Club regrets that they are
    unable to come to Wesley College in January.

To compensate, they have extended an invitation to EWC members,
    families and friends to celebrate the return of the Bulldogs Senior Team to play at the Kennel and enjoy an “Inner
    Sanctum Experience” – a conducted tour through the training facilities and the new Away Team rooms, new lights
    etc.

EWC will have exclusive access to players on the day – probably the best chance our EWC families will have
    all year for photos and autographs. Players will conduct the popular clinics for our junior supporters. It only took
    me 40 minutes to drive to the Kennel last Saturday morning from Blackburn via the Eastern Fwy for the 8.30 am
    training session.

Other friends had similar runs on the Monash Fwy/Westgate Bridge. While not as convenient as
    Wesley College, let’s all make the pilgrimage to our spiritual home at the Whitten Oval to meet our exciting Young
    Guns. New coach, new game plan, great New Year for the Bulldogs! Be part of it at EMW 2015!!

Event Schedule (TBC) :

9.00 am to 10.30 am Watch the full training session for all players
    Inner Sanctum tours will be conducted during the training session.

10.30 am Skills clinics with players for EWC Junior members
    and the usual EMW fun time for families to mingle with the team.

Hear the latest Bulldogs news from Club Officials.

Enjoy the EWC BBQ with our popular egg’n’bacon sandwiches and sausage sizzle.
    Renew your EWC membership and enter the raffle for a “Match Day Experience” at Etihad Stadium

The Bulldogs Museum, Membership Office and Shop will be open
    Barkers Café will be open
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    From East West Newsletter:
    So it is EWC exclusive.

Probably not ideal but to the club's credit they are making an effort. At the end of the day preparing the senior team for the season must be the priority.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the delayed start is the real reason. We'll know the answer when they announce the location of the 2016 EW day.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

15. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

An appalling decision. Just cancel the East-West Club now, it exists in name only. You get to see a full training session (apart from when your tour of the inner sanctum is taking place) And part of the sweetener is you get to see the new lights? Wow. If it wasn't so disappointing it would be laughable. Their excuse of needing every single session is nonsense. "We didn't do that well this year because we drove to Glen Waverley that day". They've really dropped the ball on this one.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]