Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  48
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lachie Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    He really changed our side when he came in for the second half of 2015. All of a sudden we had a 30 possession a game midfielder with disposal skills added to the line up.
    At the season launch, I asked him about this turn around and he basically said under Bevo the move to the wing has freed him up to roam around instead of being stuck in the forward pocket.

Great to see him get a long term contract and he is still only 21.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Might be a big call, but I think Hunter is better than Macrae (which is a good thing, because I rate Macrae highly too).
    Huge call - Macrae has a 2nd in the B&F to his name, and as a 19 year old had a 43 possession, 2 goal game.

Hunter does by all accounts have the biggest VO2 max scores at the club so under reduced interchanges his style of game suits us perfectly. It's our second string midfield (after Bont, Libba, Macrae & Wallis) that will get under teams guard this year and Hunter is an important part of that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Really happy with Hunter's progression, and he's become an automatic selection in the side - and basically a lock to get around 30 touches per week due to his smarts and running capacity. I'd love to see Hunter improve his kicking penetration, and accuracy around goals.

I don't have him in Macrae's class though. Macrae has the ability to play inside and out - and is dangerous forward. I'd imagine both players would be handy across half back if ever needed, but Macrae being 4 or 5 inches taller than Hunter makes him all the more flexible option for us.

Happy to have both ball magnets!

Post Thanks / Like

Tracking quite nicely our Lachie! Slips under the radar week after week. Who do the opposition tag, Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dahl, Murph, JJ, now Biggs and Lachie. The opposition coaches have plenty of headaches when they face us these days.

He deserves a new contract. The list management are doing a terrific job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Huge call - Macrae has a 2nd in the B&F to his name, and as a 19 year old had a 43 possession, 2 goal game.

Hunter does by all accounts have the biggest VO2 max scores at the club so under reduced interchanges his style of game suits us perfectly. It's our second string midfield (after Bont, Libba, Macrae & Wallis) that will get under teams guard this year and Hunter is an important part of that.

And even this year he has started off in the AFL team of the week. I think Hunter still has to still catch Jack. I hope he does but not there yet.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

In terms of runs on the board, Macrae is certainly a fair way ahead.

If we are to judge them at present, I think Hunter is cleaner with the ball. Macrae still needs to improve his disposal because whilst it's not terrible, he still makes too many mistakes for mine. It's for that reason I see Hunter as being a little more damaging and I think Lachie's agility to avoid tackles is highly underrated.

Macrae is clearly a fantastic talent though. We're lucky to have both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mark Stevens tweeting a long term deal in the works for Hunter.

Great news.
    Good news. I've always been a bit concerned on what he would do in regards to his contract. Good to see he's on the verge of committing.

Post Thanks / Like

Macrae and Hunter have different, complimentary styles of playing. Better than having two of either.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

10. Likes Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that Hunter is our Steele Sidebottom and that once his fitness peaks he will be even better. The rotation cap is a big positive for him.

I must admit I had doubts he would make it. Attitude is everything.

12. Likes lemmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolute gun.

I'm not sure if Lachie is a better player than Macrae but time will tell. I feel more assured when Lachie has the ball. His decision making and disposal is elite. I can't believe how good he has become.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gone from being trade bait to one of the first picked in a remarkable time frame.

His kicking is very tidy and he has excellent special awareness and like Daniel is creative with his disposals. I just wish he could handball better. At the moment he puts has to put his whole body into it and often makes it difficult for the receiving party to catch without altering their run drastically (see the missed handball to Crameri in the EF). Is otherwise a very clean player so I'm hoping he can improve this area.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

According to BF, Tom Browne reported yesterday that Lachy has signed a 3 year deal with us.

Excellent news if true

17. Likes hujsh, chef, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Gone from being trade bait to one of the first picked in a remarkable time frame.

His kicking is very tidy and he has excellent special awareness and like Daniel is creative with his disposals. I just wish he could handball better. At the moment he puts has to put his whole body into it and often makes it difficult for the receiving party to catch without altering their run drastically (see the missed handball to Crameri in the EF). Is otherwise a very clean player so I'm hoping he can improve this area.
    How do you mean "puts his whole body" into his hand balls. He moves his body to and frown while he does it?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    According to BF, Tom Browne reported yesterday that Lachy has signed a 3 year deal with us.

Excellent news if true
    Great news, he is turning out to be a gun.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How do you mean "puts his whole body" into his hand balls. He moves his body to and frown while he does it?
    If you watch him, particularly when he goes for longer handballs, he turns his whole torso and then twists it back to make almost a flinging action with his body, usually jumping as he releases. It's a really awkward technique. He's fine in close but longer range he needs to put his whole body into it and can be a bit inaccurate as a result. Very different technique to the many other smaller sized players in the side.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

21. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post