Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  48
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Lachie Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lachie Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Lachie is a gun who is more of a McVeigh with an underpinning of Hunter.

That's right Lachie has just as much McVeigh blood as he has Hunter blood doesnt he? I think his mum was born a McVeigh and she is Mark and Jarrad's Aunty. I love the McVeighs. Jarrad playing in the 2016 grand final was one less opposition player we had to worry about.

I watched him hobble over and setup for a contest on our half forward line in the first quarter. He was 30 metres from me so I could get a fair read on him and it was everything he could do to crouch down and put his hands on his knees. The pain and effort was etched on his face. God knows how he takes himself from there to running headlong into the contest looking for the ball.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent this year, and he was outstanding on Sunday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's right Lachie has just as much McVeigh blood as he has Hunter blood doesnt he? I think his mum was born a McVeigh and she is Mark and Jarrad's Aunty. I love the McVeighs. Jarrad playing in the 2016 grand final was one less opposition player we had to worry about.

I watched him hobble over and setup for a contest on our half forward line in the first quarter. He was 30 metres from me so I could get a fair read on him and it was everything he could do to crouch down and put his hands on his knees. The pain and effort was etched on his face. God knows how he takes himself from there to running headlong into the contest looking for the ball.
    Fantastic pedigree has Lachie.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Fantastic pedigree has Lachie.
    He certainly does.

from a breeding angle you would consider Monique Conti has the right qualities to generate the next generation of hard running footballers. Perhaps someone can make sure her and Lachie get together in a few years.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

5. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    He certainly does.

from a breeding angle you would consider Monique Conti has the right qualities to generate the next generation of hard running footballers. Perhaps someone can make sure her and Lachie get together in a few years.
    I still reckon we should slip in a clause in the child minding contract (Whitten oval has a large creche co located with it) that says if your child attains a certain beep test then you get a different less athletic dozy child to take home with you because the kid you dropped off that morning is now a professional footballer. Then we test the lot of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of leadership Bont pretty much has the captaincy tied up when Wood gives it away but I reckon Hunter might be a smoky for it. Given his improvement and dedication to making his game better it's not beyond the realms of possibility.
    Too rascally. Bont's our man. Happy to have him as VC, his Warner to Bont's Smith.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been really happy with how he's worked to minimise the simple attention to detail issues he used to possess. My comment used to be that he could always make a simple situation look overly difficult.

He's almost the complete running midfielder now, and my only gripe is his preference to kick around the corner with a heavy reliance on snapping, rather than drop punts........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I've been really happy with how he's worked to minimise the simple attention to detail issues he used to possess. My comment used to be that he could always make a simple situation look overly difficult.

He's almost the complete running midfielder now, and my only gripe is his preference to kick around the corner with a heavy reliance on snapping, rather than drop punts........
    As a young tracker I was always taught that was the lazy way to kick for goal. "Never kick across you body, son. Straighten up and kick through the ball"

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a young tracker I was always taught that was the lazy way to kick for goal. "Never kick across you body, son. Straighten up and kick through the ball"

I used to exclusively kick like this - I thought it looked cool and when you hit one right it tended to go faster off the boot.

Plus when you're only getting the ball like 3 times a game you want it to appear to the opposition that you're an incredibly skilled type who is just having an off day.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kicking across the body is fine if you have to, it's just sooooo much more accurate if you still go to the effort of kicking a drop punt. It's why players in the majority of instances still use a drop punt when hitting up a lead via an across the body kick.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I used to exclusively kick like this - I thought it looked cool and when you hit one right it tended to go faster off the boot.

Plus when you're only getting the ball like 3 times a game you want it to appear to the opposition that you're an incredibly skilled type who is just having an off day.
    I feel your lack of ability, testify brother!

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Kicking across the body is fine if you have to, it's just sooooo much more accurate if you still go to the effort of kicking a drop punt. It's why players in the majority of instances still use a drop punt when hitting up a lead via an across the body kick.
    It comes down to balance doesn't it! If you are confident no one is going to knock you off your feet you are always better to straighten up and kick the drop punt.

Post Thanks / Like

I like watching Lachie in interview situations - his responses are always short and to the point. Importantly, they don't give away too much!
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

17. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK , so at what point does the blow torch get pointed at this guy? How many more key goal kicking moments will he be able to shank without consequence, given that at 90-odd games he is in his prime and ought to be one of the leaders? How many more crappy little kicks or floaty handballs that put team mates under pressure does he get to make ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    OK , so at what point does the blow torch get pointed at this guy? How many more key goal kicking moments will he be able to shank without consequence, given that at 90-odd games he is in his prime and ought to be one of the leaders? How many more crappy little kicks or floaty handballs that put team mates under pressure does he get to make ?
    Until he irons these things out this is his ceiling. He's got the potential to be elite, no dignity, no doubt, but as you say these things are still embedded in his game still. I'm not sure how he and the coaches fix it. We all want to see him move into the elite category of player, but there's no clear sign of things improving with his skills and also to an extent his decision making over a full game. What can be done or what is being done? Are coaches ok with it? Are coaches trying to improve these aspects and is Lachie ignoring it? I don't know, all I know is these problems are still lingering.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    He is the least of our problems imo. At least he busts his arse every week when 3/4 of his team mates do not.

21. Likes kruder, bornadog, Doggy, Bulldog4life liked this post