Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs move “the right decision”, says Hamling

Bulldogs recruit Joel Hamling is making the most of his new home at Victoria University Whitten Oval, as he gears up for a big summer.

The former Geelong defender joined the Bulldogs as a delisted free agent in November 2014 in what he says was the right move.

“I met with Jason McCartney and the recruiting staff and the opportunity to join a young upcoming team, for me it was the best option.”

“It’s been really good, it’s a young group… I’ve loved my first four weeks here so far.

The 194 centimetre West Australian joins a host of defenders to arrive at the club in the off-season including ex-Swan Shane Biggs, which will help bolster the Dogs’ backline depth.

Setting Hamling apart is his athleticism and versatility, having spent time up forward with Geelong’s VFL team.

Hamling says that time at Geelong taught him valuable lessons, that he hopes to bring to his game with the Bulldogs.

“Learning off guys like Harry Taylor… Tom Lonergan and Andrew Mackie and all these sort of guys, it’s been great for me, for my development.

Hamling is looking to increase his running capacity this summer with an aim to making his senior debut after a considerable apprenticeship in the AFL system.

“Obviously to play round one [is my goal]… probably just play my role in the team, try and play each week and help the team out.”

Yet Hamling knows there is a lot of work to be done before then.

“It’s been a solid four weeks, it’s going to be a hard January I’d say.”

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...ng-at-new-home

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs move “the right decision”, says Hamling

What other choice did he have? Did he field other offers?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    What other choice did he have? Did he field other offers?
    Maybe Geelong were going to rookie him
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It's been reported that there were a few clubs interested in giving him a second chance.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    It's been reported that there were a few clubs interested in giving him a second chance.
    Yes I heard that too.

Post Thanks / Like

Because he has had 3 years in the system, he ticks the "round 1 ready" box, even if he hasn't managed a senior game in his time at the Pussies. Happy to give him a go. Hell, it was him or use pick 118 in the ND, wasn't it? I wonder what got him the nod ahead of a couple of other delisted KPB's that were likewise ready to go in 2015?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Because he has had 3 years in the system, he ticks the "round 1 ready" box, even if he hasn't managed a senior game in his time at the Pussies. Happy to give him a go. Hell, it was him or use pick 118 in the ND, wasn't it? I wonder what got him the nod ahead of a couple of other delisted KPB's that were likewise ready to go in 2015?
    Random fact, we now have 3 KPD's selected in the 30's in 2011

Joel Hamling - #32 2011 / DFA 2014
    Jordan Kelly - #38 2011 / Rookie #23 2014
    Michael Talia - #39 2011
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Likes Dry Rot, Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Joel is a good player - have faith.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes Twodogs, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are his strengths Mike? Just from the limited amount of time I have seen him at training he seems physically imposing and has a nice left foot kick.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Random fact, we now have 3 KPD's selected in the 30's in 2011

Joel Hamling - #32 2011 / DFA 2014
    Jordan Kelly - #38 2011 / Rookie #23 2014
    Michael Talia - #39 2011
    Hmmm, confounding. The answer to complete the series outlined above seems to be Talia DFA/Rookie 2015.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What are his strengths Mike? Just from the limited amount of time I have seen him at training he seems physically imposing and has a nice left foot kick.
    From what I have seen at training also he is a very strong overhead mark.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He is super athletic - runs like a gazelle, isn't scared (will put his head over it).
    Takes a nice strong grad and will really fly for the ball.
    Kicks it well for a big fella (but it can break down a bit under pressure).

Remember, he lived in Broome until his 19th year, played minimal high-level footy as a junior (was a 19 yo in the National Champs) so even though he was a pretty high draft pick he was coming from a loooooong way back. I caught up with him at the champs in the last two years and he really seems to have settled into life in Vic...you have to remember, this is a kid who spent his spare time salmon fishing off the beach and camping out - not playing on iPads and going to parties - as a teenager.

He will be a good player for us.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Thanks Go_Dogs, boydogs, josie, Twodogs, wimberga thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog, Mantis, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    He is super athletic - runs like a gazelle, isn't scared (will put his head over it).

Remember, he lived in Broome until his 19th year, played minimal high-level footy as a junior (was a 19 yo in the National Champs) so even though he was a pretty high draft pick he was coming from a loooooong way back. I caught up with him at the champs in the last two years and he really seems to have settled into life in Vic...you have to remember, this is a kid who spent his spare time salmon fishing off the beach and camping out - not playing on iPads and going to parties - as a teenager.

I like your confidence.

What I don't understand is how Geelong would let him go, if what you say is correct.
    I do know they had to make way for Mitch Clark, but they traded for Rhys Stanley. Perhaps they see Stanley as capable to fill in as a ruckman, where Hamling never could.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I've seen him lagging behind Jarrad Grant in some endurance runs. He was running like a gazelle, just one that had been shot a couple of times.

Really needs to improve his stamina.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    I've seen him lagging behind Jarrad Grant in some endurance runs. He was running like a gazelle, just one that had been shot a couple of times.

Really needs to improve his stamina.
    Might of been about to lap him.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.