Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Malthouse 'so excited' by Blues' trade bargains

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Waite - you are correct! How could I have forgotten? Menzel is a marking forward and will offer Jones stiff competition for a FP position.
    I think Tricky Micky might just have everyone fooled and has found Jones calling at KPB,his talent has been wasted for years at the Dogs in the F50!

Post Thanks / Like

I can remember only to well the few times we he played in defence for us.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can remember only to well the few times we he played in defence for us.
    Better or worse than when Fevola was played in defence?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Better or worse than when Fevola was played in defence?

Not as funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Not as funny.
    No wonder my mind has erased any memory of it then. At least he could've hugged every 22 opponents after the game with a big smile.

In something like seriousness, he thinks hitting the gym is going to address things... His issues are far beyond fitness. He's played footy for nearly 20 years and still runs under the ball. He still has marking issues, and his kicking still needs improvement. Macca said his issue wasn't fitness or working up the ground, it was his willingness to work back which he seemed unwilling to do despite years of instruction at the club. If he blossoms into a player then good luck, but he's a 50/50 proposition which isn't 'bargain' territory. And for him personally, if he thought WBFC fans were critical and Macca was mean, then he's about to get a life lesson about the cheaters grass not being as green on the other side.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand why some people are so upset Jones left and fear he'll go onto big things at Carlton.

Jones has some tools, being tall, quick, and decent hands, but he has some huge limitations in that he was the unfittest player at the club year after year, struggles to read the play, can't handle physical contact, and lacks a competitive spirit.

He showed some glimpses of potential but he's had a mountain of chances and doesn't have what it takes to take them. He reminds me of Andrew McDougall, a nice athlete who you think will one day make it but doesn't. From memory we paid about what Carlton did for Jones and neither team benefited much from the deal.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I don't understand why some people are so upset Jones left and fear he'll go onto big things at Carlton.

Jones has some tools, being tall, quick, and decent hands, but he has some huge limitations in that he was the unfittest player at the club year after year, struggles to read the play, can't handle physical contact, and lacks a competitive spirit.

He showed some glimpses of potential but he's had a mountain of chances and doesn't have what it takes to take them. He reminds me of Andrew McDougall, a nice athlete who you think will one day make it but doesn't. From memory we paid about what Carlton did for Jones and neither team benefited much from the deal.
    My initial thought was you're a bit harsh here Ricky, but upon thinking about it Doogs kicked more in a season than Jones has from memory. So it's probably more than fair. Apt even. I think we downgraded a pick to get Doogs in the Aker deal from memory iirc.

Post Thanks / Like

He's played footy for nearly 20 years and still runs under the ball. He still has marking issues, and his kicking still needs improvement.
    20? Was he nominated for Toddler Of The Year?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Not all at AFL level. Auskick onwards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Probably, I imagine he was a big kid...

What I was meaning is that he's always run under the ball and I can't imagine it started when he was drafted. So my guess is he's always been doing it as a junior, perhaps he was so good against spud junior footballers like me it didn't matter. My further guess is he's been told before and not fixed it. Certainly sounded to me like Macca was hoping the penny would fall by years end... Now neither is with us so we will never know I guess.

For clarity, I hoped either he would stay on a basic offer or a pick 32-38. I think it's the latter, more the compo being a tad under rather than him leaving. The former is the animal instinct of even though I don't want it, I don't want others to have it. In my heart of hearts, him picking Carlton makes no sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Out of all of this whole thing the one thing that will never make any sense to me is why he chose Carlton to go to.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably, I imagine he was a big kid...

What I was meaning is that he's always run under the ball and I can't imagine it started when he was drafted. So my guess is he's always been doing it as a junior, perhaps he was so good against spud junior footballers like me it didn't matter. My further guess is he's been told before and not fixed it. Certainly sounded to me like Macca was hoping the penny would fall by years end... Now neither is with us so we will never know I guess.
    I have a theory that he runs under the ball at AFL level because he doesn't like the physical contact from his opponent if he holds his ground and tries to mark it.

He has no problem judging it in the air when he has the sit and can have a free jump at it, but when he has to stop and prop and compete for the mark, suddenly he seems to lose all ability to judge the flight. It's just another example of him only wanting to do the easy things and avoiding the hard stuff. No forward particularly enjoys having defenders banging into them, and everyone would love to have a perfect run at the ball every time, but AFL footy isn't meant to be easy and if you don't want do the things your team needs then you'll find yourself out of the team (or at another club), just as Jones has.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Out of all of this whole thing the one thing that will never make any sense to me is why he chose Carlton to go to.
    He probably looked at the List Of Incoming Offers and decided between Carlton, Carlton or Carlton.

I think Jones is a lot like Higgins in that everybody is afraid he's going to turn into a superstar and make us look stupid. We are like the partner cheated on or neglected who has no self esteem and thinks it's better to settle for less than be alone. It's the same mode of thinking.

Bontempelli, Boyd, Stringer. Who is Jones?

16. Likes jeemak, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I have a theory that he runs under the ball at AFL level because he doesn't like the physical contact from his opponent if he holds his ground and tries to mark it.

He has no problem judging it in the air when he has the sit and can have a free jump at it, but when he has to stop and prop and compete for the mark, suddenly he seems to lose all ability to judge the flight. It's just another example of him only wanting to do the easy things and avoiding the hard stuff. No forward particularly enjoys having defenders banging into them, and everyone would love to have a perfect run at the ball every time, but AFL footy isn't meant to be easy and if you don't want do the things your team needs then you'll find yourself out of the team (or at another club), just as Jones has.
    I won't disagree with you because of the ease in which smaller opponents outmuscled him in many of his worst matches but in addition I think he just doesn't read the play very well. Not good at anticipating - and that can't be taught.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Dosn't look like he wants to be any more phsyical in any contested situation then his new coach Pricky Micky wants to be at a press conference answering journo's questions after a loss.