Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Focus on '14: Matthew Boyd

After being limited by injury in 2013, Matthew Boyd was back to his brilliant best in 2014.

The durable midfielder took a step back from his typical inside role in 2014 to allow for the Bulldogs youth to step up, but his influence on the team was just as significant.

PLAYER PROFILE: View Matthew Boyd's player profile and 2014 season statistics.

At 32, Boyd provided maturity and stability in a young Bulldogs side, averaging 26.2 disposals and picked up the third most of any Dog, with 498.

Boyd’s season included a massive 39 disposals against the Giants in round 4 but his most influential match came against Melbourne in round 15.

Missing Ryan Griffen and Adam Cooney, Boyd took charge. He produced a game high 32 possessions, 20 of those contested, as well as nine clearances, eight tackles and one goal that helped lead the Bulldogs to a nail-biting victory at Etihad Stadium.

The stat that mattered:

After 19 matches in 2014, Boyd requires only 11 more to reach his 250-game milestone.

What they said:

“Anyone that knows Matthew, understands just how professional he is, which we see as an important attribute, particularly for our young group to learn from.

“His teammates and coaches value his contribution, especially in recent times where he has shouldered a lot of responsibility – and we look forward to seeing him continue his strong form next season.”

List Manager Jason McCartney, following Boyd’s contract extension to the end of 2015.

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Focus on '14: Matthew Boyd

With the Grifter shooting through and Cooney moving on, we need a huge season in 2015 from Boyd Snr. Let's not write him off yet!

Post Thanks / Like

He sure can get enough of the pill but I noticed in the article they did not mention his disposal efficiency. It's something that really all too often undoes his hard work..

Post Thanks / Like

They lost me at "back to his brilliant best".
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Beat me by 4 minutes. Exactly this, I'm not sure what the rest of the article said.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Beat me by 4 minutes. Exactly this, I'm not sure what the rest of the article said.
    Scrooge comments. But funny!

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxson42 View Post
    He sure can get enough of the pill but I noticed in the article they did not mention his disposal efficiency. It's something that really all too often undoes his hard work..
    Yes true that. He is a hard worker but like you say it's his disposal efficiency that let's it down. Hopefully that is better in 2015. Still very important to have some experience in the middle.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd's first half of the season was actually good! He was hitting targets, chasing, and not trying to be Buckley lite; basically all the things that have tanked his career from 2011-onwards (for those of us that actually watch the games anyway.)

I'm glad he's still around and in the post-Griffiths world he can be more than useful to our midfield. Smith won't get back for a while (if he ever does), Jong and Stevens still have terrible spatial awareness, I still have questions on Libba as the alpha dog (based on the games early last year without Chris Benoit); Boyd is still of use to us and can be even more so if he is willing to compromise his own style for the betterment of the team (hopefully he doesn't have a choice).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Boyd's first half of the season was actually good! He was hitting targets, chasing, and not trying to be Buckley lite; basically all the things that have tanked his career from 2011-onwards (for those of us that actually watch the games anyway.)

I'm glad he's still around and in the post-Griffiths world he can be more than useful to our midfield. Smith won't get back for a while (if he ever does), Jong and Stevens still have terrible spatial awareness, I still have questions on Libba as the alpha dog (based on the games early last year without Chris Benoit); Boyd is still of use to us and can be even more so if he is willing to compromise his own style for the betterment of the team (hopefully he doesn't have a choice).

I thought that Boyd was good when he played within his limitations early last year and was a real bonus for the team. I was a bit skeptical when we gave him another year. I thought if we were serious about making a change then he was probably the sort of guy that was excess to requirements.

At the time I wasn't allowing for the departure of Adam Cooney and Ronny Griifen. Boydy has become a fairly important player again.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith is a huge out for us. He would be absolutely ripping it up for us in the centre by now if he hadn't suffered the ACL's.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sceptical of Boyd being re-signed at the begining, but the departures make it a reasonable outcome.
    I just hope he doesn't anoint the next captain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Pretty sceptical of Boyd being re-signed at the begining, but the departures make it a reasonable outcome.
    I just hope he doesn't anoint the next captain
    Agree Remi, was hoping he would retire at the end of last season but with the major departures Boydies experience and knowledge has become a necessity.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we focus far too much on his deficiency at the expense of everything else Boyd offers.
    When our young blokes are tired or thinking they have done enough, they'll only need to look over at Boyd (and Libba) to see that there is always someone giving that little bit extra. With such a young list we need that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly, some of Boydy's top games in 2014 where when the Grifter was either out because of his chronic, degenerative, debilitating back condition or playing injured because of his chronic, degenerative, debilitating back condition. Add the departure of another prominent midfielder with a chronic, degenerative, debilitating injury, Cooney, and maybe Boydy will really be able to shine next year because he is not being forced to play in their shadows any longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Will Boyd now assume Gia's position as Player Fans Bag Until Immortalised In Final Season?