Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jackson Macrae - Can he take the next step in 2015?

I confess to not watching a whole lot of Brent Stanton play, but I feel that is the 'worst case scenario' for Jackson. He has too much talent and desire to be anything less than a consistent ball magnet...its adding in the defensive part that I feel Stanton lacks, and improving his skills, that will set him apart from others.

Post Thanks / Like

I never see him being a star of the competition but that very consistent third midfielder who will rack up the disposals, dominate some weeks but get a fairly anonymous 30 in others. For an outside midfielder his disposal isn't as damaging or precise as you'd like - either by hand or foot, nor is he a real line breaker. If his disposal improves I can definitely see him moving into the All Australian category of player, looking at some stats now his splits are virtually identical with Pendlebury's this year:

Pendlebury averages 27.9 disposals to Jack's 26.6
    They both average 10.8 contested possessions a game, Pendlebury averages 16.8 uncontested to Jack's 16.1
    Jack wins out in tackles 4.7 to 4.4 and clearances 4.4 to 4.2

But the big difference lies in efficiency and damaging use with the footy:

Pendlebury uses the footy at 77.4% to Jack's 65.4%, this translates into 21.6 v 17.4 effective disposals per game
    Macrae averages slightly more inside 50s 4.8 v Pendlebury 4.6 BUT for Jack this only translates into 0.3 goal assists per game versus Pendlebury at 1.6
    Jack has also only kicked 1 goal versus Scott's 9

No doubt Pendlebury spends more time than Macrae resting forward (which is something I'd like to see us try with Jack) but those stats do show how many of Macrae's inside 50's are pretty wasteful. It's a fairly regular occurrence seeing him bomb long to not much whereas Pendles is close to the best kicking midfielder going around at the moment. His stats on the whole are extremely similar to Pendlebury which is terrific for a third year kid but he really must be cleaner with the footy.
    Last edited by lemmon; 25-06-2015 at 01:34 PM.

3. Thanks azabob, jazzadogs, jeemak, The bulldog tragician, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Lemmon. Interesting read. No reason why Jackson's disposal efficiency cannot improve as he continues to adapt to AFL.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to be a harsh judge of Macrae - but only because I rate him so highly.

His output in 40 games has been quite extraordinary really. And as per an earlier poster's thoughts - his game on the weekend showed he is able to go inside the centre square and be very effective.

To get to the next level, it would be ideal if he could add some more length and precision to his kicking. I'm not sure how this will be done without fixing up his ball drop - as the ball drop impacts both his ability to kick long, and his ability to keep the ball low(er) on his short kicks.

Hopefully some more time in the game, and another pre-season or two, will add some more power and explosiveness to his skill set.

And we haven't seen as much of the Jack Macrae goose step this year - bring it back Jacko!

6. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's certainly been lacking in confidence, hence the goose step not being used. He seems to have far less time with the ball this year and as a result is doing that awful kick across his body, which is very unreliable.

Perhaps it's extra attention from the opposition, maybe the different game plan, less easy kicks behind play. Faster ball movement from defence with Wood, JJ, Murph all pushing up further and carrying the ball means Jack has to find the ball further up the ground and usually in congestion.

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to him growing into his physique, getting stronger, developing his tank and showing us what he's really capable in three or four years time.

To me he seems to dispose of the ball under duress and fatigue a little more this season as he's being watched more closely, which is a testament to how well he was playing as a first and second year player. I think once he develops all of these areas he'll be able to take the heat and the fatigue, get his side-step going again and be more assured with his kicking (which seems to lack when he's struggling physically).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    He's certainly been lacking in confidence, hence the goose step not being used
    He brought it back late in the game against Brisbane when we were dominating

I watched the Gold Coast game last year live where he had 43 touches and 2 goals after Macca gave him a spray publically. He went for a lot more with his disposal instead of taking the first or easy option. He's got the talent but not the ego or daring of say Stringer to try the sorts of things Stringer does on a regular basis. Sometimes he looks tired and like he doesn't trust himself to execute the tougher kicks because he's buggered from getting it 30 times
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

When I watch Jack play I see him in the role of Nigel Lappin in the hey days of the Brisbane Fab 4. Wallis/ Libba (our tough inside ball winners in the vein of Black and Voss) Jack & Bont (our outside class a la Aker and Lappin)

Now bring on the 3 peat flags!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
    When I watch Jack play I see him in the role of Nigel Lappin in the hey days of the Brisbane Fab 4. Wallis/ Libba (our tough inside ball winners in the vein of Black and Voss) Jack & Bont (our outside class a la Aker and Lappin)

I see the Aker piece as the real missing link - until Stringer is able to run through the middle regularly.

He has the pace, the freaky ability and the want to take it on like Aker.

In a sense we're lucky in having Bont, Macrae and Stringer to play the inside outside role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hotdog View Post

I see the Aker piece as the real missing link - until Stringer is able to run through the middle regularly.

He has the pace, the freaky ability and the want to take it on like Aker.

In a sense we're lucky in having Bont, Macrae and Stringer to play the inside outside role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I never see him being a star of the competition but that very consistent third midfielder who will rack up the disposals, dominate some weeks but get a fairly anonymous 30 in others. For an outside midfielder his disposal isn't as damaging or precise as you'd like - either by hand or foot, nor is he a real line breaker. If his disposal improves I can definitely see him moving into the All Australian category of player, looking at some stats now his splits are virtually identical with Pendlebury's this year:

Pendlebury averages 27.9 disposals to Jack's 26.6
    They both average 10.8 contested possessions a game, Pendlebury averages 16.8 uncontested to Jack's 16.1
    Jack wins out in tackles 4.7 to 4.4 and clearances 4.4 to 4.2

But the big difference lies in efficiency and damaging use with the footy:

Pendlebury uses the footy at 77.4% to Jack's 65.4%, this translates into 21.6 v 17.4 effective disposals per game
    Macrae averages slightly more inside 50s 4.8 v Pendlebury 4.6 BUT for Jack this only translates into 0.3 goal assists per game for Jack versus Pendlebury at 1.6
    Jack has also only kicked 1 goal versus Scott's 9

No doubt Pendlebury spends more time than Macrae resting forward (which is something I'd like to see us try with Jack) but those stats do show how many of Macrae's inside 50's are pretty wasteful. It's a fairly regular occurrence seeing him bomb long to not much whereas Pendles is close to the best kicking midfielder going around at the moment. His stats on the whole are extremely similar to Pendlebury which is terrific for a third year kid but he really must be cleaner with the footy.
    Thanks a lot for these details. Macrae has the ability to become an elite player once he understands that his uncanny ball winning ability needs to be matched by a radical change in his mind set when disposing of the ball to enable him to become the complete player. Bonti Macrae Wallis and Liberatore when he returns begins to give us a classy midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Thanks a lot for these details. Macrae has the ability to become an elite player once he understands that his uncanny ball winning ability needs to be matched by a radical change in his mind set when disposing of the ball to enable him to become the complete player. Bonti Macrae Wallis and Liberatore when he returns begins to give us a classy midfield.
    We do lack that pace that Jong provided early in the year with that group

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    He's certainly been lacking in confidence, hence the goose step not being used. He seems to have far less time with the ball this year and as a result is doing that awful kick across his body, which is very unreliable.

Perhaps it's extra attention from the opposition, maybe the different game plan, less easy kicks behind play. Faster ball movement from defence with Wood, JJ, Murph all pushing up further and carrying the ball means Jack has to find the ball further up the ground and usually in congestion.
    I do love a good goose-step on a footy field.

One of my favourite Gryphon memories was him breaking Jason Blake's ankles at CHF in 2008.

Post Thanks / Like

The goose step was dusted off on Saturday night. I reckon a purple patch is coming up for JMac against a few middling midfields.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.