Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Bidding System

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL...emfeedback.pdf

Here it is. If you can summarise in less than a thesis it'd be appreciated....

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to go back to school to work that formula out.

Anything in the AFL's hands makes me nervous. I've never seen a problem in the old way even if teams like Geelong got gifted a dynasty. If it's such a big issue scrap F/S and academy preferences altogether then have an untouched draft.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't say I'm a fan of the proposed changes, an like usual it's a reactionary change based solely on Heeney.

Post Thanks / Like

Just throwing it out there for discussion but...

Outside of the romance of a former club players son playing for the same club should there be any reason why these few players get special treatment?

Is there another sport where recruitment is done via drafts but makes allowance for players who father played enough games at a particular club?

I know we have done pretty well out of father son selections and we all love that idea but if we had selected a Joe Daniher because the rules allowed us to I think we might have a slightly different view on this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Outside of the romance of a former club players son playing for the same club should there be any reason why these few players get special treatment?

Is there another sport where recruitment is done via drafts but makes allowance for players who father played enough games at a particular club?

I know we have done pretty well out of father son selections and we all love that idea but if we had selected a Joe Daniher because the rules allowed us to I think we might have a slightly different view on this.
    Probably not but I'd say that's a good argument to keep it. There's very little soul left in the AFL, most teams lack their own stadium, others lack fans or support and exist for purely commercial reasons, there are less and less one-player clubs as the game becomes more of a business. The AFL is already arguably one of the most business-oriented (as opposed to fan-oriented) and least traditional professional sports in the world (The NBA is probably ahead there with teams moving around and changing names all the time).

I'd prefer to keep any unique aspects to the game (outside of the actual game itself) that we can. It really needs some heart.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any other reason needed other than the romance of it?

There is very little left to love in the AFL and father son has been a stroke of genius by the AFL. The current formula works well.

This seems to be yet another over reaction by the AFL this time because of academy players so why are they changing the father-son rule????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Is there any other reason needed other than the romance of it?

There is very little left to love in the AFL and father son has been a stroke of genius by the AFL. The current formula works well.

This seems to be yet another over reaction by the AFL this time because of academy players so why are they changing the father-son rule????
    That's not really a reason and still doesn't answer why should these players get special treatment?
    I agree that it's being driven by the success of the academy players but I still maintain that if we had landed a Joe Daniher or Darcy Moore our view's might alter a bit
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

That's not really a reason and still doesn't answer why should these players get special treatment?
    I agree that it's being driven by the success of the academy players but I still maintain that if we had landed a Joe Daniher or Darcy Moore our view's might alter a bit
    As I said no other reason needed IMO. The romance is a great thing.

If we had landed one of those 2 players it would mean Libba would be playing for another team and I'd hate that.

When I mention the rule to people unfamiliar with the game they love it.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The father/son doesn't need changing. It works for 16 of the 18 teams.

It's the academy rules that need examination. Whether the proposal from the AFL will work, and is a fair representation of equalising the effect of the academies remains to be seen however.

Funding of the academies should be directly from the AFL including personnel required. As the GWS and GC do not qualify for F/S in reality (and won't for 1.5+ decades) they should be exempt from discounting (in the new AFL model) until such time if these new rules come into place (1.5+ decades with reviews every five years of F/S qualifications for those two clubs).

The 14 other teams do not have the ability to form academies. If they did the SANFL/WAFL colts and the TAC Cup would become redundant. The private school system would also be materially affected.

As Bulldog supporters who crave for equalisation until such time as we become a stable entity, we must surely see the inequity in the academy rules as they currently stand, and flow-on in the future if changes aren't made.

There's nothing inherently wrong about the academy system in the northern non-traditional states; It's to grow the game, but not for those clubs that currently run the academies - for the game itself. The way they are administered and draft concessions granted are the key inequitable characteristics.

The F/S rules are fine as they are.
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 30-01-2015 at 10:21 AM.

12. Likes hotdog, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm honestly at a loss as to why the Swans get dibs on the players from their academy. Would the academy not still serve to boost the game if any team could draft the players in it?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm honestly at a loss as to why the Swans get dibs on the players from their academy. Would the academy not still serve to boost the game if any team could draft the players in it?
    Don't they put quite a few dollars into it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Where do you think them dollars come from?

16. Likes Drunken Bum, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/academy

Bottom of the page you'll get an idea of how it's 'funded'.

Post Thanks / Like

We bid for Darcy Moore and didn't get him because of Father/Son, but no-one here complained about F/S then

Would have been a different story with the Griffen trade if pick 6 was committed to Moore, thus not having the trade bait or the same need for Boyd
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    But again, why does this need to be the case? Why doesn't the AFL just fund it if it is so vital to the expansion of the game?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -