Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ten reasons we have our CHF already

Lots of negative posts around the fact that Jack is not up to AFL standard as a footballer. Get a bit annoyed by the negativity.I certainly agree that we haven't seen the best of him up till now, but I am hearing that he IS our CHF for the coming season and I see no reason he can't make this position his own.

1. He is big enough.
    2. He is strong enough.
    3. He can take a pack mark.
    4. He is agile for his size.
    5. He is an elite kick.
    6. He is aggressive.
    7. He works hard.
    8. He wants it!!!!
    9. He has the coach's confidence.
    10. He's all we got. (please don't put Bonti there yet)

I can see him not just holding down the key position, but having a big influence on our 2015.

2. Likes F'scary, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ten reasons we have our CHF already

I'm glad we have given him another 12 months and a senior position to prove himself and it will be interesting to see if he is in or close to our best 22.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

How good would it be if he can step up and fill that role. It would satisfy the three rules of real estate. We would have good structure for our many talented forwards to be creative and be given greater predictability of play. Our mids could look up and have another target to present.

Post Thanks / Like

The measure of success is how many contests he can make and how much pressure he can take off Tom Boyd. I think if he plays an aggressive in-the-face, not-here-to-make-friends style and has the opposition players lining up to give him a piece of their mind or some push and shove, then he will be playing a valuable role in a very young line-up. Basically, he (and Big Will) have to be old style enforcers this season. If he gives away a few free kicks or gets suspended for being a protector, then so be it.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

If his work rate is up, he'll take some minding! I think his remit will simply be to contest, contest, contest. He's got some physical presence and, as a fully listed player now, he should be the fittest he's ever been.

The knock on him is that he doesn't clunk it enough, however he's rarely outmarked and will provide a straight, reliable target for our glut of clever small forwards to feed off.... At least a far more reliable target than Mr Jones..

Post Thanks / Like

He wouldn't or shouldn't be on the playing list if he was missing many on the 10 reasons listed in the opening post but really there is only one question to ask and that is if he is good enough.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He wouldn't or shouldn't be on the playing list if he was missing many on the 10 reasons listed in the opening post but really there is only one question to ask and that is if he is good enough.
    Most of them would apply to the majority of AFL players. I don't think his marking is a strength, particularly pack marking. I'm on record as saying I hope he makes it, but mostly I see Adam Morgan or Trent Bartlett. Honest triers without an elite skill to seperate them as key forwards.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully his pec's are stronger than Adam Morgan's. Hopefully he's got the strength to just keep presenting.

Post Thanks / Like

I mark him really low in footy IQ. He looks the part but compare him to someone like Lachie Hunter in terms of positioning, timing his leads, continually presenting and they are worlds apart

Hopefully he can improve as we could definitely use him
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Has he got the talent?

I think he will surprise us this year, but needs to work hard and make the position his own.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Most of them would apply to the majority of AFL players. I don't think his marking is a strength, particularly pack marking. I'm on record as saying I hope he makes it, but mostly I see Adam Morgan or Trent Bartlett. Honest triers without an elite skill to seperate them as key forwards.
    He is definitely not Morgan!!! Seriously got more mongrel than Adam! Can see your Bartlett comparison, however I have this strong feeling he can bend his legs unlike Trent and he will upset backlines like.................who was our last backline upsetter???? .....b4 BH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avoid the rush View Post
    He is definitely not Morgan!!! Seriously got more mongrel than Adam! Can see your Bartlett comparison, however I have this strong feeling he can bend his legs unlike Trent and he will upset backlines like.................who was our last backline upsetter???? .....b4 BH
    That's the first thing I thought too. He has a, not agressive, but he likes to make physical contact and he loves tackling, edge to his game. One tackle and goal in the last quarter of last year's VFL GF kept the momentum surging our way.

It'd be great to see him do that at AFL level.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

If Jack can bring an aggressive intent to apply physical pressure and hurt opponents, I think he can stick a spot in the 22. He might need to cover in the ruck to make himself more valuable, but he has the tools and mindset to become a favourite of mine.

Trent Bartlett was aslo a favourite of mine. Honest battler. I think Jack can be better.

Post Thanks / Like

If he can be a Leigh Brown type it will be a great return on our patience.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Great call Avoid the rush! Only starting to get consistent training loads into his body now. People forget he's done two knees. His last 12 months have been good progression and sounds like he's put his lid down over summer which will give himself the best chance to continue this. It's hardly a make or break year for him, very much looking forward to watching him go about it over the first 2 months of the year in particular.