Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Your memories of Attending Interstate Games

I haven't been to many interstate matches but have some great memories and some not so great. I have been to Darwin three times, Gabba, and Launceston. Hoping to go to more in the future.

One of the great things about interstate trips is the club functions where you can get up close to players, coaches etc as the attendance is not huge. Also meeting up with other Doggies fans (Go Easty), going to pubs where the fans are etc.

What are your memories, fun things, not so fun things on trips Interstate. Are you planning a trip this year?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your memories of Attending Interstate Games

Dry Rot and I had an interesting night at a postmatch function up in Sydney one night...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Went on the cheer squad bus up to Sydney in the mid 90s and caught the firefly up a few times as well for a family holiday. I can recall with the Club trip we had a choice of a day trip to the Blue Mountains or out to Australia's Wonderland. Pretty sure we got beaten. A Rocca was just starting out the last time I went.

Went to Canberra every year for about 5 years for the Sydney or GWS matches we played at Manuka. Probably my favourite away day to be honest, get to stand on the hill right on the fence and get right up in the opposition players faces. Coldest I've ever been at the footy was during Barry Hall's first season with us when we played up there.

Gold Coast Suns at Metricon Stadium, great place to watch footy from. The perfect away day, mid winter escape to Qld + footy + at that stage a lock for a win.

Tassie, great trip. Highly recommend going to the footy in Launceston in particular.

The thing I love about interstate games is the enhanced sense of tribalism. You make new friends just by being a Dogs fan, you feel the sort of pre game jitters and sense of occasion that are usually saved for finals time and get to get stuck in at the pub and just get a little bit more loose than you would at a home game. I can't wait for Adelaide Oval on the Queen's Birthday Weekend, looking forward to organising a pre game pub and meeting some new faces, having a pint with my friends travelling over.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's everyone's favourite interstate ground? I haven't been to Perth, Cairns or the ground in Hobart but I've been to all the others bar The Adelaide Oval.

My Favourite is Darwin. The layout of the ground is a lot like the Whitten Oval with a members side and an outer. Plus Darwin is a pretty insane place.

Post Thanks / Like

I Had a great experience at my one and only visit to the Gabba.

Round 20 2009 I planned a weekend away with the better half, which just happened to coincide with this match

Was a very important game for our top 4 aspirations, we had a key players out.. Cross, Griffen, Gia & Higgins from memory.

We were up by 40 odd points in the third quarter and playing very attractive footy, Gilbee and Eagleton were bombing long goals. Brisbane then pegged it back and it got with 10ish points in the final quarter with just a few minutes to go.

We were sitting in the forward pocket 2 rows back from the fence. Surrounded by Brisbane fans with no Dogs supporters in site. Of course they were letting Aker have it all game long. I kept quiet all game, behaving myself, until Aker slotted a left footer from the boundary right in front of me to seal the game, I had the perfect view of it.

I stood up, turned around and let out an almighty roar. I still remember my wife grabbing my arm and trying to pull me down!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    I Had a great experience at my one and only visit to the Gabba.

Round 20 2009 I planned a weekend away with the better half, which just happened to coincide with this match

Was a very important game for our top 4 aspirations, we had a key players out.. Cross, Griffen, Gia & Higgins from memory.

We were up by 40 odd points in the third quarter and playing very attractive footy, Gilbee and Eagleton were bombing long goals. Brisbane then pegged it back and it got with 10ish points in the final quarter with just a few minutes to go.

We were sitting in the forward pocket 2 rows back from the fence. Surrounded by Brisbane fans with no Dogs supporters in site. Of course they were letting Aker have it all game long. I kept quiet all game, behaving myself, until Aker slotted a left footer from the boundary right in front of me to seal the game, I had the perfect view of it.

I stood up, turned around and let out an almighty roar. I still remember my wife grabbing my arm and trying to pull me down!

I remember that well. Aker ran along the boundary line for a fair distance afterwards holding his finger up to his mouth giving the crowd the big shoosh.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't travel often to see the Dogs but these two (going back quite a way) stick in the memory bank:

Miserable memory: Sumich kicks 13 in an absolute shellacking in 89. I arrived at 1/4 time after a delayed flight, then endured a chortling taxi driver telling me the already awful score, and then had to sit in suffering silence. The Subiaco lights seemed unbelievably bright, and for the poor Dogs, there was nowhere to hide from the ugliness of a feral Perth crowd.

Happy memory: our first victory after the 89 Fightback, against the Sydney Swans at their home ground. I guess we'd all wondered if we'd hear our song again. Notable for the debut of a gangly but evidently talented kid called Leon Cameron, and the first time I'd really switched onto the thought that Tony Liberatore could not only make it as a player, but be a champion.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

5 interstate trips for 5 wins.

Adelaide for Winmar's first game.
    Sydney the year Libba copped a handful for sorting out Matthew Knights. I think the Sydney game was Libba's return.
    Launceston in 2008. Great win against the eventual Premiers and just a really friendly town.
    2 in Canberra in 2009 / 10. 2009 was the weekend before my 40th. $5 cans of draught in the outer meant that you didn't end the day with a pocketful of coins.

Considering Adelaide for Queens Birthday weekend this year.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    5 interstate trips for 5 wins.

Adelaide for Winmar's first game.
    Sydney the year Libba copped a handful for sorting out Matthew Knights. I think the Sydney game was Libba's return.
    Launceston in 2008. Great win against the eventual Premiers and just a really friendly town.
    2 in Canberra in 2009 / 10. 2009 was the weekend before my 40th. $5 cans of draught in the outer meant that you didn't end the day with a pocketful of coins.

Considering Adelaide for Queens Birthday weekend this year.
    Paul Kelly. Knights played for Richmond.

He was a busy boy, our Libba

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Carrara when we played Brisbane in 1992. It was the game where Brisbane kicked their lowest ever score and we won easily. What a shite hole that ground was. Dangerous playing surface, players change rooms were demountables out on one wing and the most of the viewing area consisted of concrete steps all breaking apart with weeds growing out of cracks. There were maybe 4000 people there and most were ex-pat Victorian, young and drunk.

the most volatile ground I've ever been to was Football Park. Geez talk about escaping with your life! You simply couldn't barrack for the opposition at that ground back in the day.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was living in Asia back in the 90's, we would make trips back home and then go up to Hyatt Coolum for some R&R. One year we came back and low and behold the club was playing at Coolum resort against Brisbane in a practise match. What a surprise and treat that was.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Went up to Sydney about four times in the 80s. Bus up Friday night, fly back Sunday after the match. Never saw us win up there. Loved the weekend away. Stayed with friends in Blackheath in the Blue Mountains. Lost a bit on the pokies every year at the Penrith Leagues Club. Good memories(except for the footy).

And, of course, I attended every West Coast Eagles match at the WACA and Subi while wearing my Footscray gear when I lived in Perth in 1989, barracking for every Victorian team - even Collingwood and Richmond - against the Eagles!
    47 year Doggie member

I'm home...

Post Thanks / Like

Had a great trip to Darwin - lots of people in Bulldog gear around the town. We stayed at the same hotel as the players so did a bit of stalking. Gave away some hats and scarves. At Aurora they had full strength beer in cans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    Had a great trip to Darwin - lots of people in Bulldog gear around the town. We stayed at the same hotel as the players so did a bit of stalking. Gave away some hats and scarves. At Aurora they had full strength beer in cans.

And you can lean over the fence witha can of beer in your hand, watch the football, abuse Warren Tredrea and no one says anything.

18. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I should have explained it better. My first trip to Sydney was the year Libba got Knights in the game against the Tigers. His return game after the suspension was the game against Sydney at the SCG, which was the one I attemd
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]