Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Biggest Turncoat?

We sadly have a lot of options for this award, who is your choice and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Biggest Turncoat?

What is worse, a player who deserts for money or a player who deserts because of a hissy fit?
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I nominate one Nathan brown.

Left for cash and possibly some under the table property deal, and the obvious to play finals at Richmond.

Looked brilliant then breaks leg and that was that. Aint carma a bitch.

l also remember him saying in either print or radio that maybe he should not have left us when we were doing well in the finals a few years later.

Post Thanks / Like

Garry Dempsey. Left to go to North Melbourne.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Terry Wallet was the worst, was lauded at our club and left for the almighty dollar. Then had the audacity to take Brown and McMahon along with him. (obviously the McMahon deal has worked out in our favour essentially nabbing us Macrae now).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    Terry Wallet was the worst, was lauded at our club and left for the almighty dollar. Then had the audacity to take Brown and McMahon along with him. (obviously the McMahon deal has worked out in our favour essentially nabbing us Macrae now).
    Wasn't Brown already at Richmond?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen for me, taking over from Brown who I hate with a passion.

Was captain of our club for less than 6 months before he started flirting with other clubs looking for a way out because he couldn't handle it.I know other captains have quit, but they've usually gone to chase a premiership which is understandable. Griffen quit for the Giants for the money.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Wasn't Brown already at Richmond?

Yep. Brown went the year before.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Garry Dempsey. Left to go to North Melbourne.
    Tiny bit harsh on Dempsey. As with Quinlan, Templeton and Dunstan, the clearance fees the club made from those departures virtually kept us afloat during those very barren years. There were player strikes, boardroom splits etc when Dempsey left. We really were a rabble at that point.

Unlike Dunstan and KT, Dempsey's biggest crime was that he actually went on to play good footy at his new club.

This might ruffle a few feathers, but, for me, one of the daftest decisions ever made was EJ seeking (and getting) a clearance to North in 1973 (or so). I think everyone dodged a near tragedy when Ted broke down with calf trouble in the pre-season. Talk about nearly cheapening a brilliant legacy for the sake of 12-15 games of footy.

Although, to be fair to Ted, he knocked back massive money from SA and WA clubs in the early 60's to stick with us.

Post Thanks / Like

Dempsey for me . Followed by captain buldging disc then Judas Brown ( brown got a few pardon the pun Browny points, by defending calls the club was irrelevant last season) Jimmy Edmond hurt as well. Sadly the club has a history of players walking for various reasons .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Tiny bit harsh on Dempsey. As with Quinlan, Templeton and Dunstan, the clearance fees the club made from those departures virtually kept us afloat during those very barren years. There were player strikes, boardroom splits etc when Dempsey left. We really were a rabble at that point.

Unlike Dunstan and KT, Dempsey's biggest crime was that he actually went on to play good footy at his new club.

This might ruffle a few feathers, but, for me, one of the daftest decisions ever made was EJ seeking (and getting) a clearance to North in 1973 (or so). I think everyone dodged a near tragedy when Ted broke down with calf trouble in the pre-season. Talk about nearly cheapening a brilliant legacy for the sake of 12-15 games of footy.

Although, to be fair to Ted, he knocked back massive money from SA and WA clubs in the early 60's to stick with us.
    What bothered me about Dempsey was not only was our only star he left the club to play in a" premiership team" . Thankfully that didn't happen .

Post Thanks / Like

Griffen as captain followed by Brown leaving to play finals
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    I nominate one Nathan brown.

Left for cash and possibly some under the table property deal, and the obvious to play finals at Richmond.

Looked brilliant then breaks leg and that was that. Aint carma a bitch.

l also remember him saying in either print or radio that maybe he should not have left us when we were doing well in the finals a few years later.
    This for me too.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Dempsey for me . Followed by captain buldging disc then Judas Brown ( brown got a few pardon the pun Browny points, by defending calls the club was irrelevant last season) Jimmy Edmond hurt as well. Sadly the club has a history of players walking for various reasons .
    Dempsey and Edmond were also captains.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post

I well remember Ted's departure to North, but if anybody deserted anybody it was the club who deserted Ted. He had no intention of retiring when he did in May 1970, and could have at least played out that season on merit. Could probably have also played on into 1971, he didn't need thirty kicks to win a game, Ted was the sort of player who was pivotal to the side, and was always there at the crucial points. The nearest I can think of as a description is, if Dermott Brereton and Barry Cable had a love child (brawn and class) it would have been Ted.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

16. Likes 1eyedog liked this post