Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Young Giants want to stick with the club: Cameron

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-1...wont-leak-guns

GREATER Western Sydney is confident its host of out-of-contract young stars will choose to overlook lucrative rival offers to stick together and chase success.

The club faces a season in the spotlight, with key forward Jeremy Cameron, brilliant midfielder Adam Treloar and small forward Devon Smith among the players whose deals end at the close of 2015.

Will Hoskin-Elliott, Dylan Shiel and Stephen Coniglio are other emerging players who are yet to commit to the Giants beyond this season, with clubs already closely monitoring how contract talks proceed.

Ahead of his second season as Giants coach, Leon Cameron said he would never begrudge a player trying to gain maximum worth throughout his AFL career.

However, with players across the competition already "very well paid", he said it was up to clubs to build an environment which made in-demand players want to stay put.

"The really good clubs create a great culture for those players to then understand that 'I want to be part of something really special, so I'm going to sacrifice something to stay here at this club'," Cameron told AFL.com.au.

"And we feel as though we're building that at our footy club so guys are going to have to make sacrifices, because there's always going to be bigger offers elsewhere.

"There's going to be offers from other clubs saying 'If you come here we'll pay you more'.

"But in the end do you want to be remembered as a premiership player or do you want to be remembered as a player that was jumping ship all the time because of money?"

Ankle injuries and a severe ear problem diminished Cameron's influence in the forward line last year, but his coach said discussions were going well with the 21-year-old.

"I think you'd get concerned if there's no talk. With all of the guys we're having some really good dialogue with their management," he said.

"All these young players are indicating to us that they love the culture of our footy club, they love what we're building, they've been through the hard yards and they're confident the contracts will get done."

The Giants have lost five top-15 draft picks over the past two years – Jonathan O'Rourke, Kristian Jaksch, Taylor Adams, Dom Tyson and Tom Boyd – but have manoeuvered trades so that they can continue to bring in early draft picks as well as some senior depth.

Although the Giants were quick to shoot down any chance of trading No.1 pick Boyd at the end of his first season, the club later chose to offload the power forward to the Western Bulldogs in exchange for senior midfielder Ryan Griffen and pick No.6 at the draft.

"The deal went on, and we got pick six and (financial) support on Ryan's contract. It became such a good deal for us that [we thought] 'We've got to do it'," Cameron said.

"Do we want to do that all the time? No, we don't, because there's the sense of loyalty. If you want the players to be loyal to your football club, clubs have got to be loyal to players."
    Wow. Just wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Young Giants want to stick with the club: Cameron

There's irony. Then there's this...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Loyal.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Would have been a far more positive news story for GWS if it was Jeremy Cameron being interviewed and not Leon.

5. Thanks F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Do we want to do that all the time? No, we don't, because there's the sense of loyalty. If you want the players to be loyal to your football club, clubs have got to be loyal to players."

Hypocrite. How can he say that when he has just poached the captain and the best player from the club that he happened to play for. If you want to players to stay loyal to your club you need to practice what you preach and not rip the heart and soul from other clubs.

GWS and loyalty are an oxymoron.

Post Thanks / Like

Good, the loss of T Boyd obviously hurts.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the angst. The whole league is guilty of eating its young and player trades are only going to increase. GWS are no different to anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I don't get the angst. The whole league is guilty of eating its young and player trades are only going to increase. GWS are no different to anyone else.
    Which would be fine if they weren't also preaching the value of loyalty at the same time.

It's akin to James Hird giving a lecture on ethics.

A mercenary lives and dies by the sword, don't start trying to barter for a truce once you realise you're on the side that's going to lose.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Which would be fine if they weren't also preaching the value of loyalty at the same time.

It's akin to James Hird giving a lecture on ethics.

A mercenary lives and dies by the sword, don't start trying to barter for a truce once you realise you're on the side that's going to lose.
    Fair enough but all clubs carry on with this facade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Fair enough but all clubs carry on with this facade.

Moreso with GWS though. GWS is a holding station for raw recruits on their way to a proper club and a superannuation plan for washed up hacks. Nothing club in a nothing place that cares nothing for the game they play. So they have to keep the cliches coming to wall up the facade.

I can see the rationale for Gold Coast but GWS is a footy club in the wrong place.

13. Likes jeemak, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Boyd will get lucrative sponsorship monies on top of his Million a year, AND win a premiership. I'm not sure why Leon is so negative to believe that both can happen. What a pessimist...

Unless he's refering to Cal Ward, then I agree.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm Scully, Ward ,Mr Scully, Davis and the like, me thinks a bit rich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm pretty sure Boyd will get lucrative sponsorship monies on top of his Million a year, AND win a premiership. I'm not sure why Leon is so negative to believe that both can happen. What a pessimist...

Unless he's refering to Cal Ward, then I agree.
    I don't know why but I have like a premonition that he will come back.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL created the situation by allowing teams like GWS and GC to pick up the majority of the cream of the crop. Its inevitable when you have so many young guns that other teams are going to make a play for them.

Don't be surprised if we lose some more good payers over the next few years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.