Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here comes the flood! - v Essendon Rd 21 2000

Watching that game there were some outstanding performances from players that really never ever did much more. Example, Dooley playing CHB was told to just jump and punch the ball and he stuck to it all night. Bartlett did some great things creating and also kicking goals.

Then you had Murphy and Hahn who were only teenagers in their 3rd or 4th games. Libba was outstanding that night with his tackling and harassing and the great Chris Grant well he was just great.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watching that game there were some outstanding performances from players that really never ever did much more. Example, Dooley playing CHB was told to just jump and punch the ball and he stuck to it all night. Bartlett did some great things creating and also kicking goals.

Then you had Murphy and Hahn who were only teenagers in their 3rd or 4th games. Libba was outstanding that night with his tackling and harassing and the great Chris Grant well he was just great.
    Johnno had a big night too and Kolyniuk as the small forward was sensational.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my favorite memory of playing Essendon.

Will never forget Brad Johnson getting up in John Barnes' grill.

It really overshadows the 'Moorcroft' game as amazing as it was to witness that mark live.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Johnno had a big night too and Kolyniuk as the small forward was sensational.
    yes, many heroes that night.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up standing on level 1 that night, and as luck would have it, was perfectly in line with Grant's kick for goal (behind him). It was never going to miss off the boot.

I was standing at the back of a 100% Essendon area....and my carry on after the goal wasn't well received. The train ride back to Essendon station was magnificent.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have the Stephen Reilly? article link from the Age a day or two later. One of the
    best analysis of the strategies involved in the game I have ever read.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

From memory Libba ran Scott Lucas down 3 times that night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedo View Post
    Does anyone have the Stephen Reilly? article link from the Age a day or two later. One of the
    best analysis of the strategies involved in the game I have ever read.
    Here is a video of our opposition analyst

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/vi...et-the-analyst

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    This is my favorite memory of playing Essendon.

Will never forget Brad Johnson getting up in John Barnes' grill.

It really overshadows the 'Moorcroft' game as amazing as it was to witness that mark live.
    I saw us flog them by 100 points at Windy Hill in 1977 and I can't decide which was better.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favourite games ever.

I sat with a friend, my brother who was visiting from interstate & his wife. Bro, wife, friend (all Bombers supporters) & hubby & me (Dogs supporters).

It felt like a grand final win not round 22.

Did anyone else see Johnno do a sly sideways look when he was lying on the ground after the Barnes bump?

That run down tackle by Libber on ?Alessio?, the rumble after Johnno was downed, the goal by Grant and the one after the siren by Smithy were all just priceless memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Was at our local for dinner that night.Sister in laws birthday.Remember yelling at the top of my voice with a double cobra when granty kicked it from the boundry.The wife and her family weren't to happy as they are all Essendumb supporters.
    HEH HEH

12. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fearing a thumping I took the weak way and didn't attend. My son who was about 11 at the time ended up going with his grandfather. He described it as one of the greatest nights in his life.......crying with elation at the end of the game. I recall getting phone calls from work colleagues at home after the match who were so excited and wanted to congratulate me on the win.....like I had anything to do with it.

It was a special night full of unforgettable images. The Grant goal and the work he did at both ends of the ground all night.....Libba running down Lucas who was like a deer in the headlights....the halftime fracas and Big Scotty Wynd defending his teammates as per usual....great memories.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Every Bulldog supporter remembers where they were that night.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I saw us flog them by 100 points at Windy Hill in 1977 and I can't decide which was better.
    My auntie sent me a cassette
    Recording of Ian Major and Jack Dyer's call of the game on 3KZ.
    Was living in Perth at the time.
    Dogs weren't high rotation on " The Winners".kept that tape for years

Post Thanks / Like

I was in year 9 at Catholic College Bendigo and we were performing a rendition of Peter Pan that night at the Bendigo theatre (I was magnificent as the Crocodile). Backstage there were whispers of something going down when we won I'm sure the whole crowd heard me belting out Sons of the West

My late grandparents had come up from Melbourne to watch my performance and I heard afterwards that my Grandad had earphones in and was listening to the game the whole production! My mum said he would keep letting out a little 'yes' or curse under his breath

Very nostalgic match for me even though I have never actually seen it!

17. Likes Maddog37 liked this post