Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  155
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones' First Outing In Carton Colours

His biggest problem is no tank .. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you try if you haven't got a tank you just haven't got one.
    He will make an awesome VFL player though.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    His biggest problem is no tank .. Sometimes it doesn't matter how much you try if you haven't got a tank you just haven't got one.
    He will make an awesome VFL player though.
    I agree he has no tank, but his ball judgement and being a squib in a contest also don't help.

Hope he is not reading this thread.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Reality is 99% of forwards would be struggling to impact the scoreboard with the way Carlton are going.

My other question which I asked earlier on is who exactly would Jones be playing ahead of in our team?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Reality is 99% of forwards would be struggling to impact the scoreboard with the way Carlton are going.

My other question which I asked earlier on is who exactly would Jones be playing ahead of in our team?
    Not sure, Darcy Fort has looked good this year. Tough call.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes chef, Drunken Bum, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to the Carlton vs pies game and was hoping Jones put on a show but sadly not.

Sadly we also saw the worst performance of a team I have seen in a long time. Carlton are clearly shot to bits. The need to move on murthy and Gibbs and do what we are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I went to the Carlton vs pies game and was hoping Jones put on a show but sadly not.

Sadly we also saw the worst performance of a team I have seen in a long time. Carlton are clearly shot to bits. The need to move on murthy and Gibbs and do what we are doing.
    This could be an opportunity for us to raid players under market value. If we liked any of their players then a trade down from pick 10 to Carltons pick 20 would tempt them. Pick 10 for Henderson, Thomas (on much less money), Murphy or Gibbs and pick 20 tempt anyone?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jones' biggest issue is how he doesn't get the value of competing. His contested mark numbers are good even when he is struggling but I think this also highlights his main issue. He goes into every contest with an all or nothing approach. He launches himself. Sometimes it comes off gloriously and he absolutely owns his opponent. The other 90% of times he doesn't get anywhere near it, ends up on the ground and the back line are on their way to a clear rebound. Liam also just doesn't even engage in a launch or contest when he is too tired or down on himself.

A key example was last night. Collingwood just bombed it out of their defence. It was the type of kick that placed his opponent in between the devil and the deep blue sea. It set him up perfectly to either mark, bring it to ground to his team's advantage and/or legally crunch his opponent. What does he do? Go for the crazy speccy, ending up in him virtually fly kicking his opponent in the back and giving away the free. SO EASY to do the right thing there. Opponent exposed, hold your position, worst case scenario bring it to ground in a dangerous areas. But no, all or nothing. I feel like I am talking about the issues I have with an ex girlfriend! Time to move on, someone else's problem now!

Tom Boyd seems the direct opposite. He almost treats a marking contest like a ruck duel, his default setting seems to make a contest and bring it to ground to our advantage.

Post Thanks / Like

Jonesy 8 disposals at 25% efficiency.

How the hell do Carlton get a bag of Friday night games?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Jonesy 8 disposals at 25% efficiency.

How the hell do Carlton get a bag of Friday night games?
    But Mick won't drop him. He has a new marking style. I am still waiting.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point the last pick in the rookie draft looks like good value let alone a high 3rd rounder. You can't say who won this trade yet, but I said they won it at the time, we are winning it now and we can only see ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    At this point the last pick in the rookie draft looks like good value let alone a high 3rd rounder. You can't say who won this trade yet, but I said they won it at the time, we are winning it now and we can only see ahead.
    We got Caleb Daniel with the pick right? I am not into judging a a player for a pick based on who we drafted as that involves drafting which has nothing to do with Jones. At the time I definitely thought pick 47 for Jones was unders. Right now I would definitely want Daniel ahead of Jones but I also definitely would not trade Daniel for pick 47 if that all makes sense!!!

13. Likes hujsh, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We got Caleb Daniel with the pick right? I am not into judging a a player for a pick based on who we drafted as that involves drafting which has nothing to do with Jones. At the time I definitely thought pick 47 for Jones was unders. Right now I would definitely want Daniel ahead of Jones but I also definitely would not trade Daniel for pick 47 if that all makes sense!!!
    Perfect sense Rocco!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This could be an opportunity for us to raid players under market value. If we liked any of their players then a trade down from pick 10 to Carltons pick 20 would tempt them. Pick 10 for Henderson, Thomas (on much less money), Murphy or Gibbs and pick 20 tempt anyone?
    Just be prepared for Carlton delusionals wanting overs for their duds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just be prepared for Carlton delusionals wanting overs for their duds.
    I think the flip side. The media and public pressure of holding their underperforming players who are not a genuine part of the rebuild and knocking back a top 10 pick would have carlton in meltdown. All we have to do is not pay overs if we want anyone in that rabble of a list.

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of the reasons we're playing so well is because Liam is no longer in our forward line. As today's game became more and more medieval, I turned to my friend and said "thank god Liam jones isn't out there today"

18. Likes hujsh, Drunken Bum liked this post