Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  155
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones' First Outing In Carton Colours

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I just don't get why he doesn't do all the things he says he is going to do... (Ie running, contesting, working hard both ways, tackling, defending, leading patterns etc).
    Easier said than done. You know what you need to do and what is required but when things start messing with you between the ears it's a distant memory. He's got the talent, I don't have any doubt about that but he just hasn't got it between the ears.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Easier said than done. You know what you need to do and what is required but when things start messing with you between the ears it's a distant memory. He's got the talent, I don't have any doubt about that but he just hasn't got it between the ears.
    I tend to agree and I genuinely feel for the kid now. I think if this loss of confidence continues then he will get cained by Carlton 'supporters'. Imagine if Jesse White (tall kid, 3 year contract with good money) was playing magoos for an extended period, they rip him to shreds - and so will Carlton supporters with Liam. I'm not sure what Carlton can do with him as yo-yoing him doesn't work, and dropping him into the VFL Ressies would have backlash. And keeping him in the AFL team under performing doesn't work either. But if they don't play him and thus having a VFL player (essentially) for 2.5 years on big money isn't really a viable option either. I hope his resilience is stronger this year because he's going to need it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

You're nicer blokes than me! Feeling sorry for him?? Jones simply isn't good enough, dedicated enough, quick enough, hard enough, skilled enough or all of the above to make it.

That puts him in the same category as 99.9% of the general population... aka us!!

I'll happily throw on a Carlton jumper, give less than 100%, not listen to my coaches and cop abuse from Carlton fans... For $900k odd over the next three years! The rest of us have real jobs which pay much less, dig deep to support a club which, in turn, pays these blokes very, very good money.

So to see a clear lack of application (whether it be on field, in the gym, on the track or in listening to coaches' advice) and loyalty to the club really doesn't put a player in a position where I'd feel any sympathy for him. Jones will be paid out his (handsome) contract, get good money in country footy or whatever, and can pick up a day job like the rest of us.

Meanwhile, we all slog our guts out, kicking in our hard earned, and hoping that we can be repaid with our first premiership in 60+ years... And to do that, we're going to need a lot more dedicated players than Liam Jones.

I wish him all the best for the rest of his life, but I will certainly not miss his contribution as a footballer. He repaid us nothing and then left - even after we sacked the coach he sulked about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    You're nicer blokes than me! Feeling sorry for him?? Jones simply isn't good enough, dedicated enough, quick enough, hard enough, skilled enough or all of the above to make it.

That puts him in the same category as 99.9% of the general population... aka us!!

I'll happily throw on a Carlton jumper, give less than 100%, not listen to my coaches and cop abuse from Carlton fans... For $900k odd over the next three years! The rest of us have real jobs which pay much less, dig deep to support a club which, in turn, pays these blokes very, very good money.

So to see a clear lack of application (whether it be on field, in the gym, on the track or in listening to coaches' advice) and loyalty to the club really doesn't put a player in a position where I'd feel any sympathy for him. Jones will be paid out his (handsome) contract, get good money in country footy or whatever, and can pick up a day job like the rest of us.

Meanwhile, we all slog our guts out, kicking in our hard earned, and hoping that we can be repaid with our first premiership in 60+ years... And to do that, we're going to need a lot more dedicated players than Liam Jones.

I wish him all the best for the rest of his life, but I will certainly not miss his contribution as a footballer. He repaid us nothing and then left - even after we sacked the coach he sulked about.
    Couldn't agree more with the post. But my guess is Jones was the fragile player who we couldn't keep because they thought our fans were mean spirited to him. If he was fragile about what he copped last year, then I do worry for him as a person not a footballer. The Carlton media unit hyped him an oversold him to their fans which will only make it more ferocious. Frankly we can now safely say we have won the trade and he helped win the GF and he has to lie in the bed he made. But the human, non footy side of me hopes he finds resilience because it's looking like he is for some very tough times ahead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Why feel sorry for him ?
    A guy in his mid 20's earning over a mil for three years, and not performing his task!
    Thank god he's gone

6. Likes chef, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Why feel sorry for him ?
    A guy in his mid 20's earning over a mil for three years, and not performing his task!
    Thank god he's gone
    Agree Remi, its not like he has a life threatening disease or such, he just sucks at being an AFL player and in all likelihood unfairly he will still pick up a fair chunk of change to play in some lower level comp.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the post. But my guess is Jones was the fragile player who we couldn't keep because they thought our fans were mean spirited to him. If he was fragile about what he copped last year, then I do worry for him as a person not a footballer. The Carlton media unit hyped him an oversold him to their fans which will only make it more ferocious. Frankly we can now safely say we have won the trade and he helped win the GF and he has to lie in the bed he made. But the human, non footy side of me hopes he finds resilience because it's looking like he is for some very tough times ahead.
    The big sell didn't work to the Carlton people I know! Anyone with half a football brain knew he was anchor after watching him play his 60 odd games with us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, if I was a carlton fan, I would be spewing.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I just think he hasn't got a tank and can only go in spurts, an old time full forward would get away with it but nowadays you can't.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I find with Jones is he just doesn't have a presence on the ground. You look at guys like Franklin, Tippet, Cloke, and even our own TBoyd, they look like a big full forward with presence who demand the ball (Tom is still learning this).

It's a shame for Jones, I thought he may make it by now as has over 50 games of experience and is maturing as far as age is concerned. Maybe he just doesn't have the AFL skill level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's number 1 forward at he Blues, like he was with us. He's not a number 1 forward. He would be a better player with a better player next to him.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

19 *!*!*!*!ing pages...
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    19 *!*!*!*!ing pages...
    I don't get it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I don't get it.

The thread is nineteen *!*!*!*!ing pages long.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

17. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He wore number 19 too. Coincidence? I think not..........

19. Likes azabob liked this post