Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  155
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones' First Outing In Carton Colours

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sorry, but it's a lot like being told we can't walk and chew gum at the same time if theres a post that isn't about internal things. Maybe if we shut every non internal thread, shut all the other boards and only allow publication of sanctioned posts...
    More than a touch dramatic in my opinion but at least you have had your say. I get the schadenfreude attraction but if you really wanted to spark a conversation to discuss Carlton feeding the supporters false hope in the form of Jones there also are a number of other players who have come in a with similar position to Jones not just Jones. Carlton paid a low price for him and I think he was always seen as a depth player for them. He might or might not benefit from being the 3rd tall forward in their line-up and potentially getting lesser opponents.

For a team that finished one spot above ours last season they have gone in the absolute opposite direction from a recruiting and trading position. Even their first pick in the National draft was a state league player.

I recently watched the Bulldogs vs Pies game from last season and the effort Jones displayed as excellent. Who knows if he is capable of doing something like that for the Blues this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes F'scary, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jones 3 kicks in 3 quarters.

I wonder how long until Carlton members realise they've been fed BS all pre season.
    It hasn't taken long. From the BF Carlton v Geelong gameday thread:

>Terrible start from watson and jones

Moe B, Today at 4:40 PM

>Are Watson and Jones even playing?

Atom Ant, Today at 4:41 PM

>Those blaming Watson and Jones aren't watching the same game I am, the mids aren't even touching the ball, how can we expect the tall forwards to do anything...

mickelboy182, Today at 4:42

>Some bloke absolutely giving it to Jones at quarter time

SE_Blue, Today at 4:43 PM

>Jones is lazy, lazy, lazy.

MEB_, Today at 4:44

>I see your point, I never though he was bad, but wow.

Atom Ant, Today at 4:45 PM

>I thought that last week sounds like he hasnt improved.

AceAndy, Today at 4:45

>Worse if anything. There was a distinct moment where he stopped chasing and just dawdled after the ball. Lazy!!

MEB_, Today at 4:46 PM

>And a new 'whipping boy' is born...

goreds, Today at 4:46 PM

>Has he actually touched the ball yet ?

AceAndy, Today at 4:47 PM

>Not even chasing, and when he does is already half arsed, can't believe we wanted him.

Atom Ant, Today at 4:47 PM

>Right in front of me.

He's certainly no good one on one.

SE_Blue, Today at 4:47 PM

>Yeah, not sure what the hype was about in the preseason.

Jarrod Waiteee, Today at 4:50 PM

>According to Mick, Jones is a beast.

Atom Ant, Today at 4:50 PM

>Was apparently training the house down. Oh well perhaps he will go ok in the NBs [editor's note: "NBs" = Northern Blues, Carlton's reserves team]

AceAndy, Today at 4:51 PM

>Liam Jones hasn't got one statistic. Not one, literally. No entirely his fault though.

andrew_, Today at 5:03 PM

>Both Jones and Watson have been unsighted neither are good enough for round 1 at the moment

I AM CARLTON, Today at 5:04 PM

>Well Jones won't be playing Rd 1.

JamisonRun40, Today at 5:06 PM

>Watson and Jones have been terrible.

Honestly we are better off playing with Hendo and Casboult alone.

BM123, Today at 5:07 PM

>Haven't even seen Jones so far this quarter. He needs a spray from Mick at HT about his work rate. At least Watson is getting closer to the ball.

Anzac16, Today at 5:09 PM

>haha Jones just jumped away from the ball!

andrew_, Today at 5:10 PM

>Then just stopped. Didn't even bother running after the ball...

Anzac16, Today at 5:11 PM

>Yeah Jones and Watson have shown nothing. He needs to convert this.

Jatz, Today at 5:11 PM

>JOOOOOOONESSSSSSSSSYYYYYYY

SE_Blue, Today at 5:12 PM

>Thank the lord! Did Chestmark Jones just do what I think he did?

andrew_, Today at 5:12 PM

>That's his first disposal of the game. Oh dear. At least he kicked it.

Jatz, Today at 5:12 PM

>BOG

Quazza, Today at 5:13 PM

>Onya Liam

SE_Blue, Today at 5:14 PM

I think that's one deal we have come out in front on
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

4. Thanks Maddog37 thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    More than a touch dramatic in my opinion but at least you have had your say. I get the schadenfreude attraction but if you really wanted to spark a conversation to discuss Carlton feeding the supporters false hope in the form of Jones as you seem to now be saying there are a number of other players who have come in a with similar position to Jones not just Jones. Carlton paid a low price for him and I think he was always seen as a depth player for them. He might or might not benefit from being the 3rd tall forward in their line-up and potentially getting lesser opponents.

For a team that finished one spot above ours last season they have gone in the absolute opposite direction from a recruiting and trading position. Even their first pick in the National draft was a state league player.

I recently watched the Bulldogs vs Pies game from last season and the effort Jones displayed as excellent. Who knows if he is capable of doing something like that for the Blues this year.
    Thanks for the sledge. Carltons list management is a nightmare, no debate. As I've alluded to its not whether he gets consistently good, bad or other. Carlton immediately came out and questioned his fitness base and conditioning. Question why he was playing magoos. Revolutionised his marking technique and developed the ability to get him to do new things in his game. The actual club may have just said what their mind numbing members sprout, that is were a little shit club, mismanaged him, didn't even have him fit and didn't have coaches that realised he ran under the ball. Beyond that, every club sanctioned interview talked about that there was a revolution in his game and he was going to destroy opposition teams from the first game. There's a subtle sledge at our club in there, so I think it's at least interesting to see whether it was PR & BS, or whether our club, coaches and conditioning staff failed Jones.

On the balance, nothing looks to have changed so far in his game. So just perhaps Jones application or attitude might be the issue not our club, conditioning staff and coaches as has been implied. I'm not trying to pot the guy so much as endorse the clubs handling of him. As if he'd kicked 20.4 in the NAB we'd be all asking why it happened and who to blame for him being a closet gun player.

Good, bad, form, no form. It's merely interesting to me at least.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes Drunken Bum, Sedat, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the sledge. Carltons list management is a nightmare, no debate. As I've alluded to its not whether he gets consistently good, bad or other. Carlton immediately came out and questioned his fitness base and conditioning. Question why he was playing magoos. Revolutionised his marking technique and developed the ability to get him to do new things in his game. The actual club may have just said what their mind numbing members sprout, that is were a little shit club, mismanaged him, didn't even have him fit and didn't have coaches that realised he ran under the ball. Beyond that, every club sanctioned interview talked about that there was a revolution in his game and he was going to destroy opposition teams from the first game. There's a subtle sledge at our club in there, so I think it's at least interesting to see whether it was PR & BS, or whether our club, coaches and conditioning staff failed Jones.

On the balance, nothing looks to have changed so far in his game. So just perhaps Jones application or attitude might be the issue not our club, conditioning staff and coaches as has been implied. I'm not trying to pot the guy so much as endorse the clubs handling of him. As if he'd kicked 20.4 in the NAB we'd be all asking why it happened and who to blame for him being a closet gun player.

Good, bad, form, no form. It's merely interesting to me at least.
    Well said. It's not really Jones we are having a go at, it's Carton.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

MIck's comments are bordering on insane .
    Surely he was taking the micky ( pardon the pun)
    Jones is gone, and he'll tease them with the odd big Mark, but no matter what fitness you have its a mental issue to want to chase.
    Liam just doesn't possess that trait consistently enough, and hence that's why he was a fringe player in a bottom club.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right BT, on the flip side of Jones had performed and exceed expectations we would be discussing it.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    You are right BT, on the flip side of Jones had performed and exceed expectations we would be discussing it.
    Yeah agree. It's because we needed him to actually fulfil his potential which I don't think he ever will do.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And if Jones goes well people will bag out aspects of our club.

If it promotes discussion I don't see the problem with it.
    The curse is dead.

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Mick has come out reportedly this week and said "he can't see where Carlton will lose a game"

That is more outlandish than any comment about Liam Jones.

Personally, I am concerned about the mental stability of the Carlton coach.

Is it really about marketing, because if Mick really believes what he reportedly said at the Carlton season launch, he should not be in gainful employment at all.
    For real ?
    Mick has either had as savage knock to the head or is going to wear a blindfold during games this season.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

17. Likes Bulldog Joe, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    More than a touch dramatic in my opinion but at least you have had your say. I get the schadenfreude attraction but if you really wanted to spark a conversation to discuss Carlton feeding the supporters false hope in the form of Jones there also are a number of other players who have come in a with similar position to Jones not just Jones. Carlton paid a low price for him and I think he was always seen as a depth player for them. He might or might not benefit from being the 3rd tall forward in their line-up and potentially getting lesser opponents.

This is the point. Carlton are delusional, they think that getting top up players from other clubs are going to improve their results and ladder position. But they are welcome to continue pissing draft picks against the wall in exchange for magic beans.

Mick was the wrong choice of coach for a club that really needs to go back to the start and rebuild properly.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

19. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    This is the point. Carlton are delusional, they think that getting top up players from other clubs are going to improve their results and ladder position. But they are welcome to continue pissing draft picks against the wall in exchange for magic beans.

Mick was the wrong choice of coach for a club that really needs to go back to the start and rebuild properly.
    Amazing that Hawthorn's backline consists of Lake, Gibson, Frawley all from other clubs. Can be done, but not the players Carlton have picked.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Amazing that Hawthorn's backline consists of Lake, Gibson, Frawley all from other clubs. Can be done, but not the players Carlton have picked.
    It's like comparing apples with oranges, Hawthorn were at the pointy end when they managed to grab 3 All Australian players. It's a fair way off being a mediocre side and simply adding more mediocrity

22. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

They are cherry on the cake players. The guys you bring in to fill obvious holes in your list when you already have the basic infrastructure of a good team. Hawthorn drafted their stars, traded to fill holes without going through angst over the pick they were giving up in order to to get the player they wanted to improve their team.

Carlton are all cherries and no cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They are cherry on the cake players. The guys you bring in to fill obvious holes in your list when you already have the basic infrastructure of a good team. Hawthorn drafted their stars, traded to fill holes without going through angst over the pick they were giving up in order to to get the player they wanted to improve their team.

Carlton are all cherries and no cake.
    The problem is that they are also grade 3 cherries
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The problem is that they are also grade 3 cherries
    They certainly aren't your glacé cherries.

26. Likes N/A liked this post