Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  155
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones' First Outing In Carton Colours

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Amazing that Hawthorn's backline consists of Lake, Gibson, Frawley all from other clubs. Can be done, but not the players Carlton have picked.
    Carlton have always preferred to buy talent. in the past they've tried to buy entire clubs. It's little wonder that a famous coach, who can see he doesn't have the cattle to keep him in gainful employment and add a little more moolah to the nest egg, is going to tell them he has the answer, and guess what? They don't even have to rebuild. That's for chumps, that's for clubs like Melbourne and the Dogs, not powerhouses like Carlton. They can simply grab these players, these guns that aren't even recognised as such by their very own clubs, no, Old Mickey can see what others can't, we'll get em cheap and be right back in the hunt for number 17.

Coaching might be a tough gig but this is a man who's done it for decades and knows how to tango. He might get the sack, but nobody is going to make him give the money back.

2. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the article on Jones in the Herald Sun very interesting.

Basically, he is still starstruck and has posters of the games legends around him. To me this highlights one of his fundamental issues, in his lack of self belief.

He just does not see himself as the star and is seeking to be a lesser light, hence his move from us as he did not want to be number 1 forward.

It will be interesting to see how his season unfolds. I am expecting some very good performances, but feel he will fall away too often.

On a personal level, I do hope it works out for him.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1227288326305
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Call me grumpy and unfair if you will. When a player says he left because ....

“I get asked why I left a lot, but it’s pretty easy for me - I just wasn’t getting a game,” Jones said. He (McCartney) just ran out of faith in me. I think he felt that it was time to give other guys a turn and unfortunately there were a few other guys, regardless of my VFL form, that he was pretty insistent on giving a go and I suffered and ended up playing out the year in the VFL.”

....I personally will feel a bit disgruntled with Jones if, after all the time & effort the Dogs put into him, and knowing we tried to retain him (after Macca was no longer coach), he finally becomes consistently good at another club.

The main reason I think this way wrt Jones is IMO he did not often try his guts out with us at senior level (drop the head, little tackle pressure, no putting in a big pre-season for Dogs to build up tank etc). As opposed to Cross who was less talented but always gutsy. And yes I know with Cross we dropped him, not the other way around. I also feel OK about Cooney leaving although it will be weird to see him in EFC colours.

Perhaps when it was clear we were signing Tom Boyd, Jones was worried he would not regain a senior's spot when in fact I think it would have suited him heaps.

Also hoping Redpath performs well this year as I think it was a "Jones vs Redpath" playing situation if Jones had stayed put.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Typical Liam. Promises much, delivers little.

Liam Jones 4 Kicks, 2 Handballs, 4 tackles, 1 Mark, 2 Goals, 1 Behind

All the scores were in the first quarter, which means he had one kick after quarter time.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    ....I personally will feel a bit disgruntled with Jones if, after all the time & effort the Dogs put into him, and knowing we tried to retain him (after Macca was no longer coach), he finally becomes consistently good at another club.
    I wouldn't be too worried about that coming to pass!

The guy just CANNOT handle quality AFL level defensive opponents. He has no idea. One mark and five possessions... Carlton are more than welcome to him.

Caleb Daniel any day for me! Jones will be lucky to get another year.

8. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought Jones played well (tongue firmly in cheek)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about that coming to pass!

The guy just CANNOT handle quality AFL level defensive opponents. He has no idea. One mark and five possessions... Carlton are more than welcome to him.

Caleb Daniel any day for me! Jones will be lucky to get another year.
    Didn't I read somewhere that he got a 3 year contract.
    Well done to his manager if that is true.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Jones probably got 2 or more years, but it'd be peanuts. As Mick gave the trade the nod, he'll stick by him for a time, however patience will run out. We only know that too well.

Post Thanks / Like

Again don't get the glee in his poor games. Is there a Jason Tutt thread so I can rip him for not even getting a game?

Anyway Carlton looked great in the first term, that was about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit, I didn't pay a lot of attention to his individual game last night, but he took a couple of nice marks and had a really good holding the ball as well.

Watching the game last night with a Dogs mate, we both seemed to agree no harm in him having a good year, and career, at Carlton. He'd be struggling to get a game in our forward line, so hopefully the move turns out to be a good one for all parties, except for when the Blues play us.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones only took one mark for the game. He did get a goal from one that spilled off the back of the pack to him, and he did make a holding the ball tackle.

Basically, what he put out for Carlton last night wouldn't rank in his top 15 games for us... And, let's face it, he wasn't good enough for us. I agree, we should move on and there is no harm done by him having a good year at Carlton. However I do feel that there's Buckley's and none of that happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Jones only took one mark for the game. He did get a goal from one that spilled off the back of the pack to him, and he did make a holding the ball tackle.
    Oops, shows how much attention I was paying.

I agree, we should move on and there is no harm done by him having a good year at Carlton.
    Yep. Once Boyd and Redpath have a few days out I think our whole supporter base will be of the same opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Again don't get the glee in his poor games. Is there a Jason Tutt thread so I can rip him for not even getting a game?

Anyway Carlton looked great in the first term, that was about it.
    It's all a bit of fun. Would you be rapt if he kicked 10 goals though? I certainly wouldn't. I hate seeing ex bulldog players dominate at other clubs. That's just me. I wish him all the best even though I won't enjoy it if he kicks bags of goals.

17. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The thing that bothers me the most is his decision to use the off season to improve his strength and aerobic capacity instead of taking a break. All to give himself the best chance of making his move to a new club successful. Pity he didn't decide to do this at our club instead of sooking it up about not getting a game. Stronger willed players would have used that to strive harder to prove the doubters wrong.

From the evidence of one game it appears that when under pressure he lapses into old habits i.e. trying to mark on his chest in a pack situation, and dropping out the back instead of leading at the ball carrier. For a big bloke with great pace, will we ever see him marking in front on a fast lead?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

19. Likes Webby, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched most of the match last night, Jonesy did the same as he did with us: teased the supporters. I think his performance will further put to bed the talk about us bleeding good players because we are no good at player management.

I notice that the Bombers have selected Cooney at half back flank. They are about to learn something.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon