Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  155
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones' First Outing In Carton Colours

Can't understand the hatred and wanting him to fail. He really didnt do anything to hurt the Bulldogs, he will probably ever be good enough as a player so I won't miss him.

Won't take joy from his failure though, unless he is playing against the Bulldogs.

2. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't hate the bloke, but let's be honest the coach has pumped his tyres ad-nauseam
    Competitive beast aerobic beast, able to leap tall buildings at a single bound .
    Great foil, third , fourth tall, it's been over the top

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Can't understand the hatred and wanting him to fail. He really didnt do anything to hurt the Bulldogs, he will probably ever be good enough as a player so I won't miss him.

Won't take joy from his failure though, unless he is playing against the Bulldogs.
    I can't either. He did nothing differently to Higgins or Tutt yet they're never mentioned. I understand some supporters are just like that, with us or against us, that I get. When venom is aimed at just one ex player I think it's a bit ordinary. We got Daniel for him in the end and the way his tires are pumped up without playing a single game you'd think we'd be over the moon.

5. Likes Twodogs, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I can't either. He did nothing differently to Higgins or Tutt yet they're never mentioned. I understand some supporters are just like that, with us or against us, that I get. When venom is aimed at just one ex player I think it's a bit ordinary. We got Daniel for him in the end and the way his tires are pumped up without playing a single game you'd think we'd be over the moon.
    It's all about finding the great white hope up forward. Again, he wasn't the answer. I think a lot of the vitriol is driven by disappointment in that as well as the small chance that he may still come good, albeit at another club.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    He was one of the whipping boy's when he was with us but some still won't let it go now that he is gone.
    I get that it wasn't ideal they way he left us and I get that he never lived up to his potential but with the forward line we selected this week it would have been a decision between him and Redpath. I'm hoping Redpath has some good performances for us this year more than worrying about what Jones is doing.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Read the posts, guys. It is not as personal as you seem to be assuming. The issue with Jones, like Tutt, Griffen, Cooney and perhaps others is that aspersions were cast on the Western Bulldogs over player management and the state the club was in. Bleeding talent because who would want to play for us. Getting the boots into us. That is the context.

With Jones, in particular, these inferences were made by Mick Malthouse and others. If Jones succeeds, the critics are proved correct. If he does not and a lot of us suspect that he will not be more successful than he was with us, then the egg is on the critics' faces and the reputation damage to us and, for that matter, to Brendan McCartney and those who brought McCartney into the club is diminished considerably.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

11. Likes Drunken Bum, N/A, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a search for vindication that the Western Bulldogs aren't the reason Liam Jones isn't a consistent AFL power forward.

Liam Jones is the reason Liam Jones isn't a consistent AFL power forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not in the hating Liam Jones camp but I never like to see any player who walks out of our Club succeed at another Club. Very simple.

14. Likes chef, Drunken Bum, Twodogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Read the posts, guys. It is not as personal as you seem to be assuming. The issue with Jones, like Tutt, Griffen, Cooney and perhaps others is that aspersions were cast on the Western Bulldogs over player management and the state the club was in. Bleeding talent because who would want to play for us. Getting the boots into us. That is the context.

With Jones, in particular, these inferences were made by Mick Malthouse and others. If Jones succeeds, the critics are proved correct. If he does not and a lot of us suspect that he will not be more successful than he was with us, then the egg is on the critics' faces and the reputation damage to us and, for that matter, to Brendan McCartney and those who brought McCartney into the club is diminished considerably.
    Exactly right F'scray.
    It's the infrence that we were in capable as a club to get the best out of him.
    Because we are a poor club with little resources and money to give players like Jones the chances and tools to realise his full potential and talent that a big rich club like Carlton can do.
    Like Jazzadogs also says,it is Liam Jones fault why Liam Jones will never be the player we or any other club will want him to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to hear Robbo, Derm and King on SEN this morning. They were all critical of Jones and Robbo said something along the lines of "This might sound a bit harsh at this stage, but I think Jones is already under some pressure at Carlton."

Although Robbo's hardly the authority on all things AFL, it's good to know that it's not just us one eyed, embittered Dogs fans who saw it that way. Jones has not changed one bit - which is the worry for Carlton.

Shorty Daniel any day of the week, for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Exactly right F'scray.
    It's the infrence that we were in capable as a club to get the best out of him.
    Because we are a poor club with little resources and money to give players like Jones the chances and tools to realise his full potential and talent that a big rich club like Carlton can do.
    Like Jazzadogs also says,it is Liam Jones fault why Liam Jones will never be the player we or any other club will want him to be.

So just laugh at Malthouse

Post Thanks / Like

That is what this thread is doing. None of the posts have been vitriolic to Jones. Can a mod change the thread title to 'Mastermind Mick' then we can broaden the discussion beyond Liam.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post

Dead right . I haven't heard Luke B pump up Caleb's prospects like Malthouse has for Jones. Most pundits think Caleb won't make it due to his size, yet they pumped up Jones as Carltons third tall. I think some can't differienciate an opinion on someone's football abilities, and their attributes outside playing .

20. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My thought on jones is he just hasn't got the tank and does two leads and then wants it over the top .. He also marks on his chest when he should be taking them at reach .. It's usually a double grab when he does take it over head which isn't really appropriate . Shows he doesn't really clamp the ball like Casboult does .. He ended up after 4 years ? Playing at full forward in our reserves, not sure he could improve any more to make it at AFL level.
    He is probably a third tall in a struggling side and I think a 3rd forward should be a running type tall which he isn't.. He wouldn't get a game with us in front of Boyd,Stringer ,Crameri or even Campbell. They all have more run and can play midfield or ruck . He can't do any of that .

Post Thanks / Like

Well Garlett's been damn good for Melbourne this arvo, so it might just be that Carlton's list managers (including Mick) are Muppets!

23. Likes boydogs liked this post