Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  155
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Liam Jones' First Outing In Carton Colours

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Read the posts, guys. It is not as personal as you seem to be assuming. The issue with Jones, like Tutt, Griffen, Cooney and perhaps others is that aspersions were cast on the Western Bulldogs over player management and the state the club was in. Bleeding talent because who would want to play for us. Getting the boots into us. That is the context.
    Not true. There are comments like 'it was gold watching Jones last night' and 'typical jones -promises but doesn't deliver'. Those are not comments about how the change of environment. They are comments celebrating one players struggles or failures. When Jones came to the club he was seen as the great forward hope-internally as well as by the fans. He flashes talent (as young talks often do) but it has been apparent for more than 12 months that he just needed to leave.

To me this is a Bulldogs board and I just get agitated by posts that seem to celebrate a player failing. Why we need to comment on jones (or Malthouse for that matter) I don't understand.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not true. There are comments like 'it was gold watching Jones last night' and 'typical jones -promises but doesn't deliver'. Those are not comments about how the change of environment. They are comments celebrating one players struggles or failures. When Jones came to the club he was seen as the great forward hope-internally as well as by the fans. He flashes talent (as young talks often do) but it has been apparent for more than 12 months that he just needed to leave.

To me this is a Bulldogs board and I just get agitated by posts that seem to celebrate a player failing. Why we need to comment on jones (or Malthouse for that matter) I don't understand.
    Forum is called "AFL Talk".
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Forum is called "AFL Talk".
    And you are welcome to do so. Whats your point?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

A large chunk of the thread isn't about Dogs, Jones or Carlton. Rather, about views on posters and their stuff. I don't condone cheap shots on Jones, but if the thread upsets anyone then I might suggest happiness might come from not reading it anymore. I don't get it, it's not an issue worthy of this much introspection is it... There's a dogs game on and freedom of speech. Let's just agree cheap shots are shit, but posters can express themselves.

Go dogs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good point BT I will close it for the balance of the game.
    Its not AFL talk in fact it was originally posted on Dogs Day. It was always designed to pot the player or encourage others to do so

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Disagree.

I am happy we were able to help Jones get to another club - he needed to move on and we needed to move him on. I still have hope for him as a player though and don't really enjoy watching him struggle.
    Jones didn't need a new club he was given ample chances he needs to build a tank. He simply does not work hard enough in an AFL game and a new club won't change that fact. Players think changing club sometimes is a miracle cure. In Liam's case he is not AFL standard. I'd prefer Jong over Jones any day of the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good point BT I will close it for the balance of the game.
    Its not AFL talk in fact it was originally posted on Dogs Day. It was always designed to pot the player or encourage others to do so
    You are grasping at straws by trying to use the fact that I originally posted it in Dogs Day and you moved it to AFL Talk as evidence that my intention was unsavoury (at least that seems to be what you are saying). For the last time, the contextual background to his move to Carlton, makes him a reasonable target for a dig at, as a footballer, when he puts in an ordinary performance for his new club. You are basically telling me that its not ok to engage in a bit of "don't let the door hit your arse on the way out" footy talk.

And unfortunately, Cooney, Higgins & the Grifter appear to have put in reasonable first showings for their new clubs, so we are denied that pleasure in their cases...for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

You are grasping at straws by trying to use the fact that I originally posted it in Dogs Day and you moved it to AFL Talk as evidence that my intention was unsavoury (at least that seems to be what you are saying). For the last time, the contextual background to his move to Carlton, makes him a reasonable target for a dig at, as a footballer, when he puts in an ordinary performance for his new club. You are basically telling me that its not ok to engage in a bit of "don't let the door hit your arse on the way out" footy talk.
    Your opening post contained minimal content and it was placed on Dogs Days because you saw it as news worthy for the Bulldogs.
    It wasn't and still isn't.

As for engaging in a bit of 'don't let the the door hit you' it might have been relevant when he first departed but a performance in a practice game was never a defining moment. I get schadenfreude but I won't be accepting a series of threads with a bitter theme on ex players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Your opening post contained minimal content and it was placed on Dogs Days because you saw it as news worthy for the Bulldogs.
    It wasn't and still isn't.

As for engaging in a bit of 'don't let the the door hit you' it might have been relevant when he first departed but a performance in a practice game was never a defining moment. I get schadenfreude but I won't be accepting a series of threads with a bitter theme on ex players.
    So, it was succinct and I simply posted it to the wrong forum (thanks for putting it into the correct forum). And I think the degree of schadenfreude I (and others here but perhaps not all) engaged in is contextually tempered so it is not just pure reveling in another's misfortunes.

And what!? We won't be allowed to righteously pot the Grifter if he plays poorly for his new bum chum club?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been enjoying this thread, why can't it continue for those that are interested?
    I realise its not everyone's cup of tea but surely they can avoid it?

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Drunken Bum, N/A, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that this thread should stay alive. Jones was always a highly controversial player at our club. So much potential, so little real output, it is only natural that we watch and discuss his transition to another team about whether the potential we have been teased with for 6 years is ever realised. I won't lie, I would prefer him to be unsuccessful, but that is more about wanting to stick it up Carlton fans (a lot of my family included), not so much about giving it to Jones. I was very critical of Carlton's recruiting tactics this season, as I saw it as an attempted top up draft for them, when it needed to be a re-build.

14. Likes Drunken Bum, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a very questionable selection and is absolutely a desperation pick from a man that knows that his team isn't going to crack it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'd prefer Jong over Jones any day of the week.
    So would I. But what has that got to do with anything?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    I agree that this thread should stay alive. Jones was always a highly controversial player at our club. So much potential, so little real output, it is only natural that we watch and discuss his transition to another team about whether the potential we have been teased with for 6 years is ever realised. I won't lie, I would prefer him to be unsuccessful, but that is more about wanting to stick it up Carlton fans (a lot of my family included), not so much about giving it to Jones. I was very critical of Carlton's recruiting tactics this season, as I saw it as an attempted top up draft for them, when it needed to be a re-build.

In a way I kind of feel for Liam too. He will find that most of the problems he had with us will only be amplified at Carlton. It's a shame he will miss a chance to take a role in making this forward line work. I would have liked to see him playing in a pocket alongside Boyd for a year.

Saying that though I wasn't thinking that Roberts would be holding down a key forward spot, so I'm not that stressed about not seeing him and Boyd playing together.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    In a way I kind of feel for Liam too. He will find that most of the problems he had with us will only be amplified at Carlton. It's a shame he will miss a chance to take a role in making this forward line work. I would have liked to see him playing in a pocket alongside Boyd for a year.

Saying that though I wasn't thinking that Roberts would be holding down a key forward spot, so I'm not that stressed about not seeing him and Boyd playing together.
    Not me, would rather Stringer and Redpath hanging around Boyd.
    The curse is dead.

20. Likes N/A liked this post