Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  71
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Etihad Stadium - New Initiatives

In summary, the AFL will trial the following at the weekend’s NAB Challenge matches at Etihad Stadium.

15 second shot clock – For when a player is having a shot at goal following a mark or free kick, a 15 second countdown clock will appear on the scoreboard and count from 15 down to zero at the point where the umpire tells the player he has 15 seconds remaining. The player must begin his approach before the clock reaches zero (or the umpire calls play on).

Explanation of free kicks during scoreboard replays – Currently, the television audience receives some explanation via the umpire communications system, but this is not heard by patrons at the ground. The scoreboard operator will be connected to the umpire communication system and will activate explanation of the reason for the free kick during replays.

Broadcasting umpire explanation of score reviews - The TV broadcast currently takes this audio and the AFL will now seek to play this audio on the ground PA, pending the audio quality.

Countdown of quarter and half time breaks - A countdown clock will be shown on the scoreboard to inform patrons of the time remaining before play is scheduled to recommence.

Roof positioning – The western roof panel will be adjusted into a different position to try and reduce potential sunglare issues on the ground during play.

Link

Personally, I don't like the idea of the set-shot clock but think the broadcasting of score reviews and free kick explanations has potential to add positively to the match-day experience. I'm not a big NFL fan, but it strikes me as stealing from that a little?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Etihad Stadium - New Initiatives

Oh dear - what will we have to complain about when we know everything that is going on? Sounds like a PR mechanism for umpires to me, added to which these changes seem to be getting closer and closer to recreating an NBA / NBL atmosphere.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Coming soon, players to wear helmets and cheerleaders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Coming soon, players to wear helmets and cheerleaders.
    How will they wear the cheerleaders !!!???

5. Likes Maddog37 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    How will they wear the cheerleaders !!!???
    I just hope unlike most NFL players they get consent first!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I just hope unlike most NFL players they get consent first!
    They were just cuddling. Didn't you hear their lawyers?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I really have had enough of the awful lit up advertising signs around the ground. It's pretty bad for supporters let alone the players. With the roof shut and the lighting, added with the sparkling advertising, it is so distracting.

MEMO to Etihad management - get rid of it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes 1eyedog, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's sick that advertising signs take your attention away from the field of play to the ad. Surely we get enough advertising stuffed down our throats across the rest of our lives. Those leds disadvantage and disrespect the punter and are a step too far. The advertisements are clearly as important than the game. I don't shell out $500 a bucks a year to watch advertising at the ground, at least on telly I can turn it off or make a cup of tea. Terrible.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I really have had enough of the awful lit up advertising signs around the ground. It's pretty bad for supporters let alone the players. With the roof shut and the lighting, added with the sparkling advertising, it is so distracting.

MEMO to Etihad management - get rid of it.
    Imagine what it's like for epileptics.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted in the game day thread that I was sick of the ACDC adverts blocking scores on the level one TV screens.

You also still pay $6.50 for a 750ml water at Etihad...............I'm glad petrol doesn't cost as much.

Post Thanks / Like

$9.40 now for a tiny glass of champy!

(And yes, that's what I drink at the footy -- well, at least I used to -- will be bringing a thermos from home from now on.)

I call discrimination against girly football spectators.

15. Likes craigsahibee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just like to be able to not need a pair of binoculars to read the scores.
    The three screens with the fox feed of another game is totally annoying .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I posted in the game day thread that I was sick of the ACDC adverts blocking scores on the level one TV screens.

You also still pay $6.50 for a 750ml water at Etihad...............I'm glad petrol doesn't cost as much.
    Is that all? At the Foo Fighters it was $13 and they took the lid off. Mercinary behaviour.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Yeah. That ACDC thing was blocking out the time clock too. From where I was I couldn't see any scoreboard. I was pretty suprised when somebody said we were 10 goals at halftime. I guessed maybe 6 but probably 7.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure Etihad management are scrambling to get rid of the advertising LED screens and the revenue that comes from it, because it annoys fans.