Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  51
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL to investigate claims some Western Bulldogs players allegedly backed team to lose

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The more I read about this the more I'm thinking that Lachie and the player have realised very quickly that they were in the shit and come clean at the earliest opportunity.

My boss always tells us, if you *!*!*!*! up, that's fine, it happens. Just come and tell me and we'll work through it.
    I really don't think Lachie did anything wrong with the information we have at the moment. Other than his friend being a DH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL to investigate claims some Western Bulldogs players allegedly backed team to lose

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I really don't think Lachie did anything wrong with the information we have at the moment. Other than his friend being a DH
    Yep I'm inclined to agree. At worst he's been careless in allowing access to his betting account.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me cynical, but the whole "My mate did it on my account" story seems rather high school-ish... Surely that's just the mate taking the fall so Hunter doesn't get whacked. Hope I'm wrong.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Call me cynical, but the whole "My mate did it on my account" story seems rather high school-ish... Surely that's just the mate taking the fall so Hunter doesn't get whacked. Hope I'm wrong.
    I agree can see that a mile away. Whether he did anything against AFL rules is another matter.

The one thing I have herad is Hunter and a few others are in a syndicate and t was a syndicate bet. Whether that is right or wrong as its possible Hunter didn't know the bet the syndicate was putting on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn't the following already been confirmed

* it was a phone bet?
    * Bet was placed by friend in Melbourne while Lachie was in Ballarat.

My understanding was those 2 things were confirmed. If they are then the whole worst story since high school is impossible to get away with.

There are not only phone records kept by the person making the phone call which can be verified but also the recorded phone call of the betting agency. The story could be picked apart in about 5 minutes if they are not being honest.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs hope for quick answer on Hunter

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge hopes an outcome of an AFL investigation into Lachie Hunter's betting activity will happen within days.
    The Dogs coach also said the young midfielder would be free for selection early in the season.

Hunter met with the AFL's integrity department last week after reporting to his club that a bet was placed on the Bulldogs' loss to Melbourne last Saturday from his betting account.

He has claimed it was placed by a Footscray VFL player.

Hunter, currently unavailable for selection because he was late to a training session before the NAB Challenge games began, trained with his teammates on Friday at Whitten Oval.

Following Saturday night’s impressive 61-point win over Collingwood, Beveridge said the club would keep supporting Hunter and hoped the 20-year-old would learn from the experience.

"I'm hoping that something we can hang our hat on decision-wise will happen early next week, that's up to the AFL," Beveridge said.

"All we're doing is supporting him. We can't really make too much comment on it.

"He's probably been through a period where he's learned a bit about what his future looks like with doing the right thing by himself and his teammates, and so we need to help him through it.

"Hopefully in the early part of this season we can get him back into the side and he can start to play good footy because he's a very important player for us."

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what I want to see if this is the real story. Immediately sack the Footscray top up player for betting against team mates. Why hasn't this happened?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    You know what I want to see if this is the real story. Immediately sack the Footscray top up player for betting against team mates. Why hasn't this happened?
    The club was instructed to take no action or conduct an investigation until the afl had finshed theirs.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The club was instructed to take no action or conduct an investigation until the afl had finshed theirs.
    Ok. Then it's a not negotiable when the times right to sack said top up player.

We need media watch to have an AFL themed episode. 10 people involved say the Oz. We say one AFL player 200kms from the bet location and a top up.

One party is full of effluent.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Then it's a not negotiable when the times right to sack said top up player.

We need media watch to have an AFL themed episode. 10 people involved say the Oz. We say one AFL player 200kms from the bet location and a top up.

One party is full of effluent.
    Maybe he did nothing wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Maybe he did nothing wrong.
    The saga needs a sacrifice. The consequential message to the Bulldogs groups needs to be strong and absolute.

Post Thanks / Like

The saga needs a sacrifice. The consequential message to the Bulldogs groups needs to be strong and absolute.
    So you did nothing wrong but we will sack you?

Post Thanks / Like

Does Hunter share a house with any players? I wonder if this might have been a "shared computer" stuff up.

The Footscray listed player needs to go if he's bet against the club. No question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    So you did nothing wrong but we will sack you?
    The club has been into disrepute. Whether it's technical or not, 99.9% of people won't understand. For me it's an offence of strict liability, like parking in a disabled car spot without a permit. Sure it may be an accident, but booking said car owner is a strong message about needing to obey sacrosanct things (not betting against your employer) and the need to send a strong disincentive to anyone and everyone else that the consequences are so terrible, it's best just to find a park further away and walk - or in this case bet on the 567,543,698 things you can bet live on.

Post Thanks / Like

So.....did the bet get up?

16. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes azabob liked this post