Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodes elevated to senior list

Link

The Western Bulldogs today elevated Brett Goodes to the senior list ahead of their opening round one match against West Coast in less than two weeks’ time.

Goodes’ elevation follows an ACL injury to midfielder Tom Liberatore, who has been placed on the long term injury list.

Goodes says that after a successful VFL finals series, he was glad to continue that form into the pre-season and be rewarded with the elevation.

“It was great to get re-rookied and have a solid pre-season and drop a few kilos and then have a good NAB series.

“It’s all added up and I’ve been elevated so it’s great news.

The 30-year-old said that regardless of the chance of an elevation, his aim was always to put in a solid pre-season.

“A new coach, new opportunities, (I) just wanted to throughout NAB Cup put my best foot forward.

“I was always going to play as well as I could… if there was an opportunity I was willing to take it.”

Re-drafted by the Bulldogs in the 2015 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, Goodes had a stellar year in 2014 with the Footscray Bulldogs, including a best-on-ground performance in his side’s premiership win.

Goodes will look to build on his 15 career games and brings and experienced football head to a young Bulldogs’ playing group.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goodes elevated to senior list

He has worked hard and now been rewarded.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has worked hard and now been rewarded.
    I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this, but I like Goodes and he's definitely done all the right things to earn this chance. He looks fitter for sure. I wish him well.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this, but I like Goodes and he's definitely done all the right things to earn this chance. He looks fitter for sure. I wish him well.
    I wasn't happy we retained him on the rookie list at the end of last year, ( only due to his age) however, now that he is in, I wish him all the best and hope he can help out the young team. He is a mature player and is better suited midfield rather than the back line.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the move, we're going to be playing an incredibly young team each week. We can add another rookie to the senior list after round 11 anyway, and Roarke Smith is the only other rookie I see as being a chance.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Goodes is a great character, showing leadership, intelligence and guts on the field. He is a hard body and complements our youngsters. Best of luck Brett.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I wasn't happy we retained him on the rookie list at the end of last year, ( only due to his age) however, now that he is in, I wish him all the best and hope he can help out the young team. He is a mature player and is better suited midfield rather than the back line.
    I think he will play more AFL from here on out than Pearce & Greenwood

Logical elevation, he was always the backup plan on the rookie list as opposed to the others who are still developing
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Goodes showed how good he was in the finals for Footscray, his early season AFL form was out of character.
    Whether it was that round 1 loss in perth or perhaps the way the coach was using him, his confidence was shattered after that game.

We saw in the nab cup game that he's a classy big game player, and while he may not set the world on fire with his athletic ability he's a footballer with good skills.
    I think Bevo using him more through the middle and on the wing will be where we see him progress as an AFL footballer, not as a defender.

Post Thanks / Like

With Libba out for the season - it is a fairly logical move to include another bigger bodied, experienced midfielder into the main list.

Goodes has gotten better and better since coming to the club - and looked great in what I've seen of the pre-season.

I welcome his promotion for this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on this , hope it goes well.
    Played well on the big stage at VFL level, but this is mixing it with the big boys.
    I actually reckon it's a decision based on our list age

Post Thanks / Like

We need another hardened body to do some of the heavy lifting and lighten the load on the likes of Bont, Macrae, etc.. With Libba out this is a logical move for season 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

Good move. He's an experienced hard nosed player who'll help out our younger midfield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I don't mind the move, we're going to be playing an incredibly young team each week. We can add another rookie to the senior list after round 11 anyway, and Roarke Smith is the only other rookie I see as being a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We need another hardened body to do some of the heavy lifting and lighten the load on the likes of Bont, Macrae, etc.. With Libba out this is a logical move for season 2015.
    Agree with these sentiments.

Goodes has had a strong pre-season from the outset and if you discount his age he's certainly earned a promotion. With Libba going down and such a young list at the helm, this is a logical decision.

My hope is that Goodes keeps it simple and plays as he did v Collingwood (and for much of the pre-season). His issue over the past two years for mine, has been trying to do too much. He is definitely suited to the midfield rather than half back though, so I'm confident he can play some good footy for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulation Goodsey. Has had a great pre season and his game against Collingwood was very good. I think Bevo's coaching will help Brett's game.

Post Thanks / Like

Happy for him, thought it would be on the cards after last week, hope his good form continues.